Ford's spray in bed liner...not 100%

langlais

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 2019 xlt scab
Line x was a 100 $ less than the factory one. I had to pay it to my dealer so probably he has a special price with them.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
The main reason I opted for the factory spray in liner for my on order 2020 SuperCab is because when I was shopping for a spray-in bed liner coating to my then new 2000 Ranger I witnessed a particular vendor scuffing the surface on a new pickup by grinding the bed's paint.
Yes, they physically used an electric grinder to do this, the person doing the grinding was oblivious to the fact that the sparks generated were landing onto unprotected painted surfaces such as the roof on the very same truck as he merrily ground away., as well as other new vehicles in the vicinity. Not to mention the fact that he was reaching bare metal in doing this, hence the sparks, of course I left that place in search of another.
I found and had another vendor provide this service only after I was assured that the surface would be prepped in a less invasive fashion, such as hand sanding.
Plastic drop in liners are out of the question, everything in the bed will slide around around if not secured.
Hopefully the factory preps the surface in my 2020 with as much care as was done on my 2000.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
The main reason I opted for the factory spray in liner for my on order 2020 SuperCab is because when I was shopping for a spray-in bed liner coating to my then new 2000 Ranger I witnessed a particular vendor scuffing the surface on a new pickup by grinding the bed's paint.
Yes, they physically used an electric grinder to do this, the person doing the grinding was oblivious to the fact that the sparks generated were landing onto unprotected painted surfaces such as the roof on the very same truck as he merrily ground away., as well as other new vehicles in the vicinity. Not to mention the fact that he was reaching bare metal in doing this, hence the sparks, of course I left that place in search of another.
I found and had another vendor provide this service only after I was assured that the surface would be prepped in a less invasive fashion, such as hand sanding.
Plastic drop in liners are out of the question, everything in the bed will slide around around if not secured.
Hopefully the factory preps the surface in my 2020 with as much care as was done on my 2000.
Watch vidoe in post #5, FORD doesn't prep the bed and the liner comes out very easy compared to 3rd party spray in liners.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Watch vidoe in post #5, FORD doesn't prep the bed and the liner comes out very easy compared to 3rd party spray in liners.
YIKES! looks like they are peeling an orange in the vid, thanks for the heads up. How does Ford possibly expect the liner to remain in place after several years in the hot Hawaiian sun and liquid sunshine?
For some strange reason LineX has just 2 vendors here in Hawaii but not in Honolulu.
One on Maui, the other on the Big Isle of Hawaii, very strange indeed.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
YIKES! looks like they are peeling an orange in the vid, thanks for the heads up. How does Ford possibly expect the liner to remain in place after several years in the hot Hawaiian sun and liquid sunshine?
For some strange reason LineX has just 2 vendors here in Hawaii but not in Honolulu.
One on Maui, the other on the Big Isle of Hawaii, very strange indeed.
Check for other vendors too, I don't have a LineX vendor close by and went w/ the local guys.
They do all the oilfield vehicles in the area including the ones for the company I work for.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I got the one from Ford, if/when it peels then I will worry about it, until then ...... I will use it

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Check for other vendors too, I don't have a LineX vendor close by and went w/ the local guys.
They do all the oilfield vehicles in the area including the ones for the company I work for.
Upon Googling Line X dealers in Hawaii I came across an independent contractor here in Honolulu who does use a product with LineX's formulation, only he does not refer to it as the LineX product because of licensing restrictions. At this point anything is worth considering other than Ford's "peel off" spray in liner or slide in plastic liner

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I got the one from Ford, if/when it peels then I will worry about it, until then ...... I will use it
Me too. Right now everything looks good & we've dragged numerous things in & out of the bed.:)

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I went with Line-X for my truck... just had it done this afternoon!

FAFD3668-0B05-4366-A013-3540B26C7025.jpeg
Looks as though they did a fine job, what did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Looks as though they did a fine job, what did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
It was $540 plus tax, but I’m in Canada. For comparison the Ford liner is a $600 option here.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
So, I bought two of the swing cases and went to install them.

Two issues:
Ford's spray liner completely covered the screw holes that the swing case brackets fastens to. Had to use a tap to clear out the threads.

The spray liner also covered the screw heads that hold the tie downs on. The tie downs have to be removed, swing case brackets installed in those holes and tie downs replaced. PITA!

Also, the spray liner is super thin. I was able to peel it off. Real cheap.

I've used Linex in all my other truck beds forever. They always remove ANY screws/bolts BEFORE spraying their bed liner.

Not happy with Ford's version... especially after using Linex. The quality, complete coverage, thickness and attention to detail is far superior to Ford.

Lastly, before you ask, I bought the truck off the lot so the spray liner was already installed. If I could have found a Lariat with the exact options I wanted, I would have bought the one without the spray liner and had Linex installed. I had no idea Fords was so thin and lacked full coverage until I started using the bed.

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
So, I bought two of the swing cases and went to install them.

Two issues:
Ford's spray liner completely covered the screw holes that the swing case brackets fastens to. Had to use a tap to clear out the threads.

The spray liner also covered the screw heads that hold the tie downs on. The tie downs have to be removed, swing case brackets installed in those holes and tie downs replaced. PITA!

Also, the spray liner is super thin. I was able to peel it off. Real cheap.

I've used Linex in all my other truck beds forever. They always remove ANY screws/bolts BEFORE spraying their bed liner.

Not happy with Ford's version... especially after using Linex. The quality, complete coverage, thickness and attention to detail is far superior to Ford.

Lastly, before you ask, I bought the truck off the lot so the spray liner was already installed. If I could have found a Lariat with the exact options I wanted, I would have bought the one without the spray liner and had Linex installed. I had no idea Fords was so thin and lacked full coverage until I started using the bed.
That's too bad. When they call it "Tough Bed" you'd expect better than that!

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4

I find it odd that people complain that a plastic liner will rub the paint and cause rust in the bed yet they are perfectly OK with someone sanding the bed :crazy:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Opinions Vary... I like the factory applied Ford Toughbed.

It's a good - better - best argument but what you need is based on how you use your truck. The factory liner is the least expensive, and for most folks it's good enough.

I've got a 5' x 10' single axle tilt-bed trailer. It's easier to load because it's lower to the ground, it's also easier to unload than a truck, and I don't have to worry about tearing up my truck.

Ranger and Tilt Bed Trailer.JPG

Ford Toughbed.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: