Hankook tires, any good?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I believe both of my 90's Rangers had OEM Firestone Wilderness XX tires, I want to personally thank Phil for 1. Not killing me with bad tires as a teen, and 2. Paying (indirectly) for a brand new set of tires for my 1995 Ranger STX that I promptly destroyed dumping the clutch in my highschool parking lot (easy come easy go...).

Ahh, those were the days :)
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2020 Lariat SuperCab with the FX2 package on order, I am assuming that the standard equipment tires will be Hankook 265/60R18 OWL tires (chrome package also).. The so called LT tire option is not available with the chrome package.

What has been your experiences with this brand of tire? Frankly I don't expect them to perform admirably.

I am well aware of the fact that all auto manufacturers broker deals with certain tire manufacturers and specify the absolute cheapest tire available.
  • is it round, black and have tread?
  • does it meet the minimum DOT/FMVS standards?
  • will it remain inflated for any length of time?
  • can you supply X amount of them?
When you buy 5K plus tires, this is an important cost cutting factor. For all I know my new truck may be shod with Bridgestones instead.

Remember the Firestone debacle with the Explorers some years ago?

Thanks !
I had factory Hankooks on my previous vehicle, a 2014 Explorer Limited, and I was not pleased with their overly soft ride (matter of opinion, I know) or their tendency to lose air (matter of fact). I replaced them with Pirellis and was much happier on both counts. However, in fairness, the Hankooks did last for 50,000 miles, and I had no issues of slippage or hydroplaning on wet (rain or snow) roads! This time around, the factory Hankooks on my 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 seem better, but I only have c. 1,000 miles on them--so hard to say!

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Not a bad tire, 20,000km in. They are not the best in the snow, but Mokume shouldn't have to worry about that, lol. I do plan on changing them before winter for a snow rated tire though.
I'm making note of the "not the best in the snow" comment. This it the one thing I've really been concerned about. Coming from a Subaru with snow tires that could handle everything and anything thrown at it, I'm worried this truck with the stock Hankooks will be a let down and give me some heartache this winter. We'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly for the following winter I'm thinking.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Not going to compare to dedicated snow tires, but I can say they aren't terrible in snow, they just aren't the best. If you deal with extreme amounts of snow, (I see MN in your bio), the truck will be better than the Subaru because weight, and height. As for ice, it has snow and ice mode which was actually super cool last winter the few times we got snow (in February).

Don't worry, it will be fine... IF not, you can buy a set of takeoffs from this forum, and put blizzaks on them, just like you did for the Subaru.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Hi,

News to me...As far as I am aware, Ranger and Explorer tires were produced in the USA at two plants. Not sure where this came from , but am not aware of a Chinese connection with respect to the Ford/Firestone fiasco.
Oops, it was another tire manufacturer around the same time frame.

Fjsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Sport
I’d also like to thank Phil. Seems he is the guy who got me my first ever set of BFGs on my Explorer.

Before that I just bought cheapest available. He indirectly taught me what real quality is.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I'm making note of the "not the best in the snow" comment. This it the one thing I've really been concerned about. Coming from a Subaru with snow tires that could handle everything and anything thrown at it, I'm worried this truck with the stock Hankooks will be a let down and give me some heartache this winter. We'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly for the following winter I'm thinking.
Not going to compare to dedicated snow tires, but I can say they aren't terrible in snow, they just aren't the best. If you deal with extreme amounts of snow, (I see MN in your bio), the truck will be better than the Subaru because weight, and height. As for ice, it has snow and ice mode which was actually super cool last winter the few times we got snow (in February).

Don't worry, it will be fine... IF not, you can buy a set of takeoffs from this forum, and put blizzaks on them, just like you did for the Subaru.
Basically what 4th said, they are not horrible in the snow, take it cool and you,ll be fine. I was just expressing that there are all terrain tires available that are better in the snow.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2020 Lariat SuperCab with the FX2 package on order, I am assuming that the standard equipment tires will be Hankook 265/60R18 OWL tires (chrome package also).. The so called LT tire option is not available with the chrome package.

What has been your experiences with this brand of tire? Frankly I don't expect them to perform admirably.

I am well aware of the fact that all auto manufacturers broker deals with certain tire manufacturers and specify the absolute cheapest tire available.
  • is it round, black and have tread?
  • does it meet the minimum DOT/FMVS standards?
  • will it remain inflated for any length of time?
  • can you supply X amount of them?
When you buy 5K plus tires, this is an important cost cutting factor. For all I know my new truck may be shod with Bridgestones instead.

Remember the Firestone debacle with the Explorers some years ago?

Thanks !
You have been misinformed about OEM tires. These are very good tires, but designed only for the test-drive. Don't get me wrong, they last far longer than the test-drive, but these are the tires that Ford engineers designed the suspension for and these tires work great.

My problem with the Hankooks is that they will not work in the snow and I live in the mountains. So, I bought a set of take-off wheels identical to my OEM wheels, and a set of 275/65R18 mud and snow tires to wrap around them. I will swap out the winter tires in early December and put the Hankooks back on in March when we are mostly done with snow. And when these wear out, I will try to buy someone else's new "take-offs",

I did the same setup on my wife's 2.0 Escape, spare snow wheels and tires.

(The problem in the Firestone/Explorer debacle was engineer communication between Ford and Firestone. That, and the low TP called for, that drivers ignored resulting in rollovers.)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You have been misinformed about OEM tires. These are very good tires, but designed only for the test-drive. Don't get me wrong, they last far longer than the test-drive, but these are the tires that Ford engineers designed the suspension for and these tires work great.

My problem with the Hankooks is that they will not work in the snow and I live in the mountains. So, I bought a set of take-off wheels identical to my OEM wheels, and a set of 275/65R18 mud and snow tires to wrap around them. I will swap out the winter tires in early December and put the Hankooks back on in March when we are mostly done with snow. And when these wear out, I will try to buy someone else's new "take-offs",

I did the same setup on my wife's 2.0 Escape, spare snow wheels and tires.

(The problem in the Firestone/Explorer debacle was engineer communication between Ford and Firestone. That, and the low TP called for, that drivers ignored resulting in rollovers.)
Hi Michael

Please do not blame the engineers for the Firestone debacle. This is not true, being behind the Ranger portion of this corporate emergency. To malign us for something beyond our control is simply flat A$$ wrong. You do not speak from knowledge for sure as you did not live this fiasco as I did.

Engineers of both sides understood the issue, but the Blasted CEO egos of both companies was the main problem.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

Basically what 4th said, they are not horrible in the snow, take it cool and you,ll be fine. I was just expressing that there are all terrain tires available that are better in the snow.
Okay, thanks. After thinking it over and asking a few guys here at work, they hardly do anything to their trucks and they have pretty basic tires on them. I definitely won't do any mods to the truck for this winter (except adding a couple hundred pounds of weight/sand to the bed) and see how it goes. Then re-assess from there. Most of my driving back and forth the work will be plenty easy. It's just the long holiday trips through the UP that will be the real test.

Thanks! Not too concerned about it anymore.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Not a bad tire, 20,000km in. They are not the best in the snow, but Mokume shouldn't have to worry about that, lol. I do plan on changing them before winter for a snow rated tire though.
What winter tires are you looking at? I've run Bridgestone Blizzaks in the past on my Explorer and Foresters, but now I'm looking towards the Michelin Latitude X-ice XI2.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I put the factory Hankooks through just about every kind of terrain and they are definitely solid. You can't really go wrong with them in any terrain, but here's my judgement:
  • Dry pavement: Extremely pleased with the fuel economy, wear, road noise, and grip. No complaints whatsoever.
  • Wet pavement: Never had issues with hydroplaning, the siping on the tread seemed to do their job well.
  • Snow: I took the Hankooks in 12+" of snow and never had any issues.
  • Dirt: Will perform better than your average street tire, but it was adequate in dirt trails.
  • Mud: This is where this tire falls flat on its face. The pack with so much mud and become impossible to clear, becoming very slick.
  • Loaded: I towed 5000 lb with this tire and it felt very solid. The ride was supple under load and I was very pleased.
  • Overall: This tire is perfect for anyone who doesn't plan to take their truck in extreme mud conditions and I think the Ford engineers made the right choice. The typical Ranger owner will drive their truck on the road 90% of the time, and will occasionally take it on dirt trails to get to camping spots/etc and this tire performs very well for that kind of use case.
For me, I like to go to off-road parks and get it super sloppy in thick mud. That's why I went one size up and went with more aggressive A/T's (Falken Wildpeak AT3W) and I am very pleased. Fuel economy did go down a little, but very little compromise in on-road handling with HUGE improvements off-road.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FYI I went on dirt roads on Labor Day with my 2019 Ranger with Hankook tires that had only 3000 miles. Got a flat from a 1/2 inch rock that stuck in the tread. Maybe it went over a bigger rock in the road that pushed it in but that seems like poor performance for a new tire.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
FYI I went on dirt roads on Labor Day with my 2019 Ranger with Hankook tires that had only 3000 miles. Got a flat from a 1/2 inch rock that stuck in the tread. Maybe it went over a bigger rock in the road that pushed it in but that seems like poor performance for a new tire.
There's a BUNCH of people talking about how they got flats/tears from driving on tiny rocks. I guess I got super lucky when I took the Hankooks off road because I didn't experience anything like that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There's a BUNCH of people talking about how they got flats/tears from driving on tiny rocks. I guess I got super lucky when I took the Hankooks off road because I didn't experience anything like that.
Is this not a steel belted tire? Seems to be a sidewall issue, maybe?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored