What are the break-in mileage changes

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I've read in various areas on this forum about changes the computer makes at different mileage intervals.

That said, I thought it would be a good idea to have that information in one place.

For instance, I read that mpgs change at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles. If this is true, I assume Ford programs these milestones as a safeguard and sort of "break-in" period.

Can anyone post what they know about this - and possibly other milestones as well?

If this isn't a fact, no worries.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 1000 miles... you're gonna see some serious shit
Lol. Not quite what I was looking for in this thread but I hope you're right. I just hit 750 and I'm totally impressed with the power AND the mpgs.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
MPG will show improvement as the truck breaks in, but I think the idea that Ford somehow programs MPG changes into the computer is an old wife's (or mechanics) tale.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I've read in various areas on this forum about changes the computer makes at different mileage intervals.

That said, I thought it would be a good idea to have that information in one place.

For instance, I read that mpgs change at 1,000 miles and again at 5,000 miles. If this is true, I assume Ford programs these milestones as a safeguard and sort of "break-in" period.

Can anyone post what they know about this - and possibly other milestones as well?

As far as MPG goes, before 1k miles, 23.9, 21.8 and 23.3, three before 5 k 23.5, 23.6 and 22.8, my last three 24.2, 23.3, and 23.6 That about the first 9k. I am not seeing a major jump but maybe a steady rise. I am going to guess going forward it will in low 23, this according to the app I use, still working on the computer in the truck to match the hand

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue

With a little over 2000 miles I have gotten a consistent 22 mpg using any octane gas. Pretty much just using it for commuting so the daily drive and style of driving has been very consistent. Based on the wives tales, I was expecting 25mpg but I am happy enough with 22mpg. I think what has happened is folks learned to drive more economically while some of us with consistent mileage started that way from the get go.

Then there is the transmission learning. Mechanics have done well spreading that myth. Sounds like they are using the excuse to avoid having to troubleshoot something that is either design or software. My transmission shifts ok with some hiccups, but for a 10 speed, I guess I was expecting. more smoothness. Could be a lot worse.. could be the POS 8-speed in the Coloranyan.

Lmood

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
All of these mpg claims I keep seeing. Are y'all looking at average mpg or instant? My instant is consistent with what is stated, but my average is still down in the 18-19 mpg range

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My average is excellent. I'm consistently 25ish. which is within 1MPG of what I hand calculated for a few tanks.

As for the programmed changes, they certainly do program break-in periods in the Focus RS which has basically the same engine, and several of the Mustang models.

I have 16000 miles roughly now, and I can say it got much faster at the 1000 mile mark, and there was a noticeable increase in MPG. Now, I can't say that the MPG increase directly correlated with the power increase, but it went from 23 to 25 average basically over a single tank.

The only way to tell for sure would be to record boost and fuel for a few hundred miles pre 500-1000 mile mark, then do the same afterwards. I don't really know anyone who could do that, so my guess is it will have to stay in the realm of fantasy.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
With a little over 2000 miles I have gotten a consistent 22 mpg using any octane gas. Pretty much just using it for commuting so the daily drive and style of driving has been very consistent. Based on the wives tales, I was expecting 25mpg but I am happy enough with 22mpg. I think what has happened is folks learned to drive more economically while some of us with consistent mileage started that way from the get go.

Then there is the transmission learning. Mechanics have done well spreading that myth. Sounds like they are using the excuse to avoid having to troubleshoot something that is either design or software. My transmission shifts ok with some hiccups, but for a 10 speed, I guess I was expecting. more smoothness. Could be a lot worse.. could be the POS 8-speed in the Coloranyan.
After about 1400 miles, what I've noticed is that the MPGs drop with stop-and-go driving more so than previous trucks I've had. In mixed highway, on a 500 mile trip including out and back over a 9,500 ft. pass and mixed freeway/highway with a small number of stops, I averaged 28MPG, which is pretty impressive. I did keep it to the speed limit on the freeway and highway stretches (mostly 65MPH on the roads I was on) to get a baseline reference. Any amount of stop-and-go kills it, though. In the local suburbs, where we have more frequent stop-and-go than the EPA city test schedule, it drops to about 20-21. I think getting 25 mixed would require living in a fairly rural area or having a significant amount of low-traffic freeway in your commute.

Agreed on the transmission. It's generally acceptable, but smoothness and and manual shifting response in Sport mode could be better. It can occasionally get tricked into making clunky shifts, but most auto transmissions can. The computer automatically rev-matches on downshifts into lower gears. I'm sure that's good for reduced wear, but it took some getting used to.

Last edited:

Steven D Tipton

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX Supercew & Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Just to throw in my numbers. All hand calculation. Xl 4x4 fx package. All my driving is been split. Hwy and intown. 0 to 5000 miles. Worst 21.81 driving it like I stole it on purpose. Avg normal 23.56 to 24.12. My first long hwy trip using 87, No AC on but 80 mpg through 77 in wva 24.86. Have the Ford retractable tonneau cover on now and 6800. Pulled in a 26 mpg the other day. Half in town and half highway. With air. I do see better numbers with using mid to premium. So if I had to guess. Maybe 2 mpg increase. I think I could get 27.
Sponsored