SE Minnesota Off Road.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I am looking for an easy off road course to give my STX 4x4 a try here in SE MN.

Does anyone know of a location for it?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Does Brainerd still have an off road course? I used to race the Brainerd road course in my Formula SuperVee. Long straightaway!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Did Brainerd have an off road course at BIR? Or somewhere else? BIR is still there and going strong. I take my turbo S2000 out there for some track days and Powercruise USA.

lawrence

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Taurus SHO , 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4 Lightning Blue Sport Appearance Package Tow Package
I am looking for an easy off road course to give my STX 4x4 a try here in SE MN.

Does anyone know of a location for it?
I know you said SE, but in Gilbert Mn, there is an old mine that they converted into park that allows rock climbing, water course, etc... I went for 4-wheelers (ATV's) but they have other courses for larger vehicles. Look into it and see if it is something that you may be interested.

OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I know you said SE, but in Gilbert Mn, there is an old mine that they converted into park that allows rock climbing, water course, etc... I went for 4-wheelers (ATV's) but they have other courses for larger vehicles. Look into it and see if it is something that you may be interested.
Thanks for the info! That's WAY up there! But will keep it in mind if we do head up north some time.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
I looked online, and I am not seeing off road course on their website?
It's also far up there but not as far, Spider Lake ORV trails. Its near St. Cloud. I went there with my truck once. Plan to go more and more. Had a blast.

I am central MN, just north of the twin cities. I believe there is one south of RedWing. I'll try to find the name of it.
20190818_132934.jpg

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Traneman

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
It's also far up there but not as far, Spider Lake ORV trails. Its near St. Cloud. I went there with my truck once. Plan to go more and more. Had a blast.

I am central MN, just north of the twin cities. I believe there is one south of RedWing. I'll try to find the name of it.
Looks like you got the FX4? I have the STX, so I don't have the Skid plate on the front. Would it handel the Spider Lake? Please let me know what you find out for the one near Red Wing.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you got the FX4? I have the STX, so I don't have the Skid plate on the front. Would it handel the Spider Lake? Please let me know what you find out for the one near Red Wing.
I think the one I'm thinking of is in Kellogg, MN. Called Snake Creek, but looking further into it, I think it's ATV class 1 & 2 only, not ORV rated.

I'd be glad to do some wheeling with someone here in another Ranger. Spider Lake should very well be manageable without the FX4 package. You'd probably just want to take a more diagonal approach to some of the crests/hills if it was steep enough to approach your break over angle.

I did scrape the transfer case skid protector 3 times but might be able to avoid it next time based on my angle of approach. No dent or damage, just a couple scuffs in the TC skid plate.

I'll keep looking up more. What area are you in?

20190818_162141.jpg

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/az.html

Just have to double check that they are for ORVs.

OHM is dirt bike trails
And of course ATV
Multiuse is an odd term, just download the trail maps and see what kind of trails are in the maps.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I think the one I'm thinking of is in Kellogg, MN. Called Snake Creek, but looking further into it, I think it's ATV class 1 & 2 only, not ORV rated.

I'd be glad to do some wheeling with someone here in another Ranger. Spider Lake should very well be manageable without the FX4 package. You'd probably just want to take a more diagonal approach to some of the crests/hills if it was steep enough to approach your break over angle.

I did scrape the transfer case skid protector 3 times but might be able to avoid it next time based on my angle of approach. No dent or damage, just a couple scuffs in the TC skid plate.

I'll keep looking up more. What area are you in?

20190818_162141.jpg
My undercarriage/skid plates are all scratched from the off road parks as well. Just as a tip before the winter/salt on the roads, it's always a good down to drive up on ramps/jack it up and give the whole underbody a good hose down and scrub with simple green. Once all the mud is removed and dried, spray some paint on all areas with scratches. I like to use Rustoleum black enamel. You definitely don't want the exposed areas to act as a starting points for the rust!

Deleted member 1634

I have always wanted to get into casual off-roading. But have been dismayed by the Gilbert park, or any other place really, because they seem like they try and cater to hardcore off-roaders, which I am not. I don't have a lift kit, or special suspension (besides the FX4 stuff), or bigger tires or any mods like that. Nor do I want any of those. I just want to be able to go out and toy around and have fun. Sounds like maybe I'm in the same boat as OP.

I guess I'm putting out a similar question as OP, and will be watching this thread to see what people say. I definitely do a lot of forest road driving and things like that, or at least I used to. And maybe that's all I need to do to be happy.

I'm in Duluth by the way, so the Gilbert park is very doable for me. And so it the Superior National Forest and all the State Forests. Maybe I just need to do a bit more research and see what I can find and just get into it.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have always wanted to get into casual off-roading. But have been dismayed by the Gilbert park, or any other place really, because they seem like they try and cater to hardcore off-roaders, which I am not. I don't have a lift kit, or special suspension (besides the FX4 stuff), or bigger tires or any mods like that. Nor do I want any of those. I just want to be able to go out and toy around and have fun. Sounds like maybe I'm in the same boat as OP.

I guess I'm putting out a similar question as OP, and will be watching this thread to see what people say. I definitely do a lot of forest road driving and things like that, or at least I used to. And maybe that's all I need to do to be happy.

I'm in Duluth by the way, so the Gilbert park is very doable for me. And so it the Superior National Forest and all the State Forests. Maybe I just need to do a bit more research and see what I can find and just get into it.
Bunch of people are going to Gilbert this weekend, Friday through Sunday for a fall color run. I will not.

I am going to make it to the next meet at Appleton October 13th I believe. Never been there yet but it sounds fun and most if not all obstacles there you can go around of it's too difficult for your truck/build. I'm stock as well and so I'd skip the giant mud bogs the other guys went in last week. Stair climb might be ok if our longer wheelbase doesn't kill us. But worth a shot.

Deleted member 1634

Bunch of people are going to Gilbert this weekend, Friday through Sunday for a fall color run. I will not.

I am going to make it to the next meet at Appleton October 13th I believe. Never been there yet but it sounds fun and most if not all obstacles there you can go around of it's too difficult for your truck/build. I'm stock as well and so I'd skip the giant mud bogs the other guys went in last week. Stair climb might be ok if our longer wheelbase doesn't kill us. But worth a shot.
Alright, good to know, thanks! Probably won't be able to make it this weekend, already got plans down in The Cities for family stuff. But good to know that other people are going there and have been there.

Another question I had about the whole thing is do I need an OHV sticker/registration for the truck? I'm originally from Michigan where things are a little different, so I'm not sure of the Minnesota way. And I'm having a hard time deciphering the DNR website to find the exact phrasing that I want to read. Something I could always just figure out at the booth when I get to Gilbert of course, but just wondering if anyone more experienced had the answer already.