Issues With Hitch Light

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I bought one of those hitch lights because I keep my hitch out unless I'm using it so I don't back into anything. Problem is if I plug it in to work as another brake/reverse light the truck thinks there is a trailer attached and gives me error messages about trailer length ext and of course shuts off stop/start and the worst part is it comes on and off almost like I'm plugging and unplugging it while driving down the road.

It's not a big deal I can just leave it unplugged I was just curious if anyone has tackled this issue.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one of those hitch lights because I keep my hitch out unless I'm using it so I don't back into anything. Problem is if I plug it in to work as another brake/reverse light the truck thinks there is a trailer attached and gives me error messages about trailer length ext and of course shuts off stop/start and the worst part is it comes on and off almost like I'm plugging and unplugging it while driving down the road.

It's not a big deal I can just leave it unplugged I was just curious if anyone has tackled this issue.
Hi John,

It is easy to set up, Just use the left arrow buttons on the steering wheel and select Blind Spot. from the left instrument cluster display. Then Trailer. Answer the questions and then for trailer length select 3ft. Then you are all set.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
i guess I was looking for a way to tell the truck there isn't a trailer even though the light is plugged in because it disables start/stop and maybe other functions also. Its not a big deal I only really have it so the hitch isn't open to the elements as bad I don't really mind the lights.
Sponsored