MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
922 was to much now my truck MPG is less than actual, but it about .5, so adjusted to 932. To see the difference.... getting there slowly
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
922 was to much now my truck MPG is less than actual, but it about .5, so adjusted to 932. To see the difference.... getting there slowly
I adjusted mine to 944 and my last full tank the computer was 20.4 and Fuelly said 21.0 - so I've gone too far as well. I will see what the second tank shows and then adjust accordingly. It didn't seem to really make much difference until the first FULL tank after I did the change, though.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I adjusted mine to 944 and my last full tank the computer was 20.4 and Fuelly said 21.0 - so I've gone too far as well. I will see what the second tank shows and then adjust accordingly. It didn't seem to really make much difference until the first FULL tank after I did the change, though.
I am wondering what a 10 point adjustment will mean in the difference, which is why I did a 10 point, that will give me a good idea for the 3rd adjustment

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering what a 10 point adjustment will mean in the difference, which is why I did a 10 point, that will give me a good idea for the 3rd adjustment
The original message that talked about how to do it said to wait for 2-3 tanks to see the results. I can confirm that even though I adjusted near the beginning of the first tank, it was still off - it didn't seem to make much/any difference until the first fillup after I made the change - so I wouldn't be too hasty to make another change. I'm going to wait for another couple of tanks before I make another adjustment just to see how subsequent tanks do.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Does this method work to adjust when going up to a larger tire size?
Remember that the larger tire size changes the distance you travel with each tire rotation. Your speedometer and odometer will not be accurate. In my case it is 3.3%. so I have to use that if I calculate fuel mileage manually.

That being said,
Tire compare 265 70.png

That being said,I don't stress over mileage. It is what it is and I love this truck. If mileage was my goal I would buy a hybrid, :wink:

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
So, one of the guys on my Fusion Sport forum just brought this to my attention that the mpg calculator can be adjusted. Take your manual calculated mpg and divide by the computer calculation. Example 21 mpg manual cal divided by computer cal 22.3 = 0.9417. You can round up to 0.942. Multiply by 1000 gives you 942. Plug that number into step #7.

#1 Hold the left steering wheel center ok button down.
#2 turn accessory power on (do not start).
#3 you'll see ET appear (top of left screen, don't judge standard gauges so I don't know how or where that will appear).
#4 hit ok.
#5 Engineering screen will appear.
#6 hit arrow up to the AFE screen and follow screen to adjust.
#7 once set to desired numbers turn off ignition.
It may take 1 or 2 tanks to fully adjust to the change. That should get you closer to real mileage.

My Fusion at 26,000 miles was consistently around 1.3 mpg high on the computer. I'll monitor both once I drive and fill and compare manual to computer from now on.
Thanks for this information. I like tricks and tips. I wish Ford would give us more control, but I understand why they don't ( yes I have forscan )

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The original message that talked about how to do it said to wait for 2-3 tanks to see the results. I can confirm that even though I adjusted near the beginning of the first tank, it was still off - it didn't seem to make much/any difference until the first fillup after I made the change - so I wouldn't be too hasty to make another change. I'm going to wait for another couple of tanks before I make another adjustment just to see how subsequent tanks do.
I wait for 2 full tanks before I make an adjustment

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update - filled up today and it matched exactly with my Fuelly calculation (both said 20.5 - I had done some forest service roads, which always bring mileage down). So, to summarize
  • 1st full tank after calibration - Truck said .4 LESS than Fuelly (instead of the truck always showing better mileage)
  • 2nd full tank - Truck and Fuelly matched exactly.
Will be interesting to see what the next tank shows.

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update - filled up today and it matched exactly with my Fuelly calculation (both said 20.5 - I had done some forest service roads, which always bring mileage down). So, to summarize
  • 1st full tank after calibration - Truck said .4 LESS than Fuelly (instead of the truck always showing better mileage)
  • 2nd full tank - Truck and Fuelly matched exactly.
Will be interesting to see what the next tank shows.
What did you set it to? Was wondering if it is close to mine, currently at 932

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I just adjusted mine to 955 from the factory setting. Wanted to see how it does on this tank.:wink:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
When doing your calculations do you account for operation in reverse, idling, temp, wind, load, exact mileage? Most gas mileage in the real world is a WAG (wild ass guess). You also have gas pump error or on purpose. I do a manual calculation every tank and round off in my log book. It is good enough. :like:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When doing your calculations do you account for operation in reverse, idling, temp, wind, load, exact mileage? Most gas mileage in the real world is a WAG (wild ass guess). You also have gas pump error or on purpose. I do a manual calculation every tank and round off in my log book. It is good enough. :like:
Can't speak for others, but mine are done per the instructions, calculating a hand calculated value vs the computer

Take your manual calculated mpg and divide by the computer calculation. Example 21 mpg manual cal divided by computer cal 22.3 = 0.9417. You can round up to 0.942. Multiply by 1000 gives you 942. Plug that number into step #7.
I'm currently at 944 which seems to be pretty close - will see what the next couple of tanks shows. Gas pump variations should mostly even out over a few tanks.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious, are you still chasing your tail with this gas mileage thing? Now that we are into winter blend gas do your calculations stay the same between hand calc and trucks readout?
Sponsored