What wheel locks are you using?

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I've never given wheel locks much thought. Usually they are already on the vehicle from the dealer but I got my Ranger right off the truck with no dealer adds. Let me know what lock you use and if there is a specific reason why. I'm going with Icon wheels and would like to make them a little harder to steal.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Wow, thought this would be a little bit more interesting topic but I guess not. Lol. I ordered some Gorilla small diameter black locking lug nuts on Amazon that should do the trick. I did verify that the size is 12mm X 1.50 thread pitch. Many of the sites I went to were confusing saying they were 12mm and/or 14mm in the same description.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Gorilla locks. They match the stock nuts better than the McGard pattern locks, :)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've never given wheel locks much thought. Usually they are already on the vehicle from the dealer but I got my Ranger right off the truck with no dealer adds. Let me know what lock you use and if there is a specific reason why. I'm going with Icon wheels and would like to make them a little harder to steal.
I took them off all our vehicles and wanted the Ranger without them and just leased a CRV for the wife and had them remove the locks

I have never lost any wheels or found my vehicle on blocks ever (50 years of driving) and I have lived in larger cities of San Diego and Las Vegas.....No locks. Dealer charges $200 for them. Thieves can easily get past wheel locks, Dealers don't need the key to take them off.

Then again I have always parked my vehicles in a garage so I don't get the night moves of some who want Ford wheels...

Plus if my wheels and tires do get stolen I will have a great excuse to enjoy shopping for new Rims and larger tires....Win WIN

Last edited:

jarcub_XLT

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Technician (Ford)
I work at a Ford dealership and just put my wheel locks on today. I just went with the Ford Accessories set and they seem to be fine!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I don't live in areas that need wheel locks...90 pound wheel/tire and 6 lugs each might be a deterrent around here...
Using these none standard lug nuts with splines also help...
61bf-qoSMQL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had wheel locks on my vehicles for so many years, I feel weird without them.:)
The locks may stop a non pro thief. When I was in NJ, I've seen a few cars on blocks with wheels stolen.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Founding member of the 'no locks club'...
personal choice for all. JMO huge waste with the only upside being some tech-ape will either break it or loose it. when I was in high school in the 80's I worked at a Goodyear and we had a shoebox full of them at the service desk b/c guys would leave them on the lift and out the door the poor slobs would go without their key.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Like Sid, I too am using splined lug nuts. As a bomus, they're much slimmer than regular lug nuts so the tool is less likely to scratch my wheels.

RabidRaptor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT blackout on black
Hey all. New to the forum. I just got a 2020 XLT blackout/black Ranger and started looking for lock lugs... just in case. I ordered the splined black nuts but after reading things here about reduced contact area, I opted for instead replacing one on each wheel with a more traditional chrome nut. To save someone in the future from having to tunnel through the same research, I thought I'd post which solution I went with. I picked the Gorilla X2 (71631X) 12mm x 1.50 (the one with the spinning outer stage). All in all, it looks fine... it sticks out a bit further than the stock nuts, but I'm happy with the choice. Cheers!
IMG_20210322_192623618.jpg

IMG_20210322_192035483.jpg

IMG_20210322_192021593.jpg
IMG_20210322_192732456.jpg

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
We are going to be following this thread also. We purchased our Ranger as a simple vehicle that we can leave empty and unlocked at trailheads, but it will have nice aftermarket wheels and tires, and we'd like to minimize the chances of them walking away.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
To continue, we have now ordered our new tires and wheels, and I went ahead and ordered spline drive lug nuts for them.

Hopefully that will provide a little security in and of itself, at least as far as preventing our new wheels and tires from just walking off.
I'll take a look once we get the wheels installed, and assess our needs from there.

Our ranch is in a very rural area of central texas, it's completely fenced and gated, and all of our vehicles are kept indoors. Our only security needs, would be for things like if we go mountain cycling, and leave the Ranger unattended at some trail head...
Sponsored