Vehicle Showcase

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It's apparently random. My lariat fx4 has a 17" steel spare with dynapro at/m. (So same tire, different size.)

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
It's apparently random. My lariat fx4 has a 17" steel spare with dynapro at/m. (So same tire, different size.)
I went back to the dealer and then looked under all the Rangers... ALL the XLT's come with 16's and Lariats with 17's. Same with under hood engine cover. None on the XLT but all with the foam sound deadening cover on the Lariats, except the one that was moved to mine... I thought it was missing! :^)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I went back to the dealer and then looked under all the Rangers... ALL the XLT's come with 16's and Lariats with 17's. Same with under hood engine cover. None on the XLT but all with the foam sound deadening cover on the Lariats, except the one that was moved to mine... I thought it was missing! :^)
The tire size are consistent, but some people have reported aluminum spares and others steel, and various tire types. I'd guess there's some relation to the installed tire type, but they don't necessarily match.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Be happy you don't the overloaded diaper problem Colorado's have...take a look next time you see one...you can't unsee it...I love how tucked up our spares are:like:
FullSizeRender-42.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mountain Ranger
My 4wheels and tires are 265/60 X 18 but the spare is 255/70/16? The XLT is suppose to come with a 17 inch tire? Is it just mine or you too missing real spare size just in case?
Just check my spare. I assumed the spare would be the same tire size since this is a truck not a car. Fortunately my spare is the same size (265/65/17) However, it's on a steel rim not aluminum which I can live with.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I ran this. Significant difference with a .4 inch height difference. Maybe the engineers know better than me but I think we should receive the same size tire.

Screenshot_2019-08-30-09-14-18.png

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a non-FX4 Lariat 4x4....maybe the FX4's get a steel wheel ??

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a non-FX4 Lariat 4x4....maybe the FX4's get a steel wheel ??
My Lariat FX4 has a steel wheel (it is painted black). Didn't look to see what size tire, though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just check my spare. I assumed the spare would be the same tire size since this is a truck not a car. Fortunately my spare is the same size (265/65/17) However, it's on a steel rim not aluminum which I can live with.
Hi Mr.

Reason it is a steel wheel as it was never intended to be a road wheel...just an emergency spare. And yes there are test procedures to test the spare tire/wheel....For example, it is mounted in all for tire positions (one position at a time) and handling characteristics are evaluated to ensure the spare tire meets program requirements. If this spare tire has a mileage limit on how many miles it can be run and a limit on the speed of the vehicle, it will be clearly stated in the owners manual and and on the spare tire/wheel.

Key takeaway from this is to read your owner's manual long before you are stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mr.

Reason it is a steel wheel as it was never intended to be a road wheel...just an emergency spare. And yes there are test procedures to test the spare tire/wheel....For example, it is mounted in all for tire positions (one position at a time) and handling characteristics are evaluated to ensure the spare tire meets program requirements. If this spare tire has a mileage limit on how many miles it can be run and a limit on the speed of the vehicle, it will be clearly stated in the owners manual and and on the spare tire/wheel.

Key takeaway from this is to read your owner's manual long before you are stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Interesting thing was that my 2005 Ranger had the same spare tire wheel as the rest of the wheel (aluminum). I only used it once in 14 years - I drove down a gravel road for a backpacking trip and when we got to the trailhead I got out of the truck and heard a hissing sound - the front left wheel was leaking quickly - by the time I got out the jack, it was completely flat. The area we were in had granite gravel and apparently it is common for tire cuts when sometimes the granite crushes and leaves very sharp edges on the gravel. I ended up having to replace my tires - they said they didn't even stock 4 ply tires due to that, so I ended up getting some 6 ply tires.

Anyway, I always consider the spare to be an emergency only thing. Another thing to remember - don't forget to check the air in your spare occasionally -so it is inflated when you need it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thing was that my 2005 Ranger had the same spare tire wheel as the rest of the wheel (aluminum). I only used it once in 14 years - I drove down a gravel road for a backpacking trip and when we got to the trailhead I got out of the truck and heard a hissing sound - the front left wheel was leaking quickly - by the time I got out the jack, it was completely flat. The area we were in had granite gravel and apparently it is common for tire cuts when sometimes the granite crushes and leaves very sharp edges on the gravel. I ended up having to replace my tires - they said they didn't even stock 4 ply tires due to that, so I ended up getting some 6 ply tires.

Anyway, I always consider the spare to be an emergency only thing. Another thing to remember - don't forget to check the air in your spare occasionally -so it is inflated when you need it.
Hi Rob,

I am somewhat speculating on why you had an aluminum spare. From a cost standpoint, the aluminum wheel would be quite expensive for the program...but if the 05 Ranger was very close to being able to reduce the Federal Test Procedeure (FTP) Inertia Test Weight Class, the release of an aluminum wheel would be very doable. In fact if a high volume vehicle like the Ranger was back in the day, the company would be willing to invest $100 million to accomplish this task...that was how important the fuel economy credits were back in that day for Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) ie, impacting CAFE by 0.1 mpg. Again, some speculation on my part as I was already retired for a couple years.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I took my spare down to familiarize myself with all the tools necessary and processes involved.
Mine is a 17" steel wheel with a 265/65R17 112T Hankook Dynapr0 ATM tire. It's mounted valve stem up, so checking pressure will require partial removal. It is marked with a 50MPH Max sticker.
My road wheels are 18" with same brand/style tires.

spare tire.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mountain Ranger
Hi Mr.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil, thanks for your feedback. I simply noted my spare tire size match the other four tires. My only concern was the tire size, not the rim type. Other Ranger owners on this forum reported their spare tire was a different size. Why they vary is unclear, however as a spare, a minor difference isn't an issue. It's good to have a Ranger engineer helping owners on the forum, retired or otherwise, thank you!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil, thanks for your feedback. I simply noted my spare tire size match the other four tires. My only concern was the tire size, not the rim type. Other Ranger owners on this forum reported their spare tire was a different size. Why they vary is unclear, however as a spare, a minor difference isn't an issue. It's good to have a Ranger engineer helping owners on the forum, retired or otherwise, thank you!
Temporary spare tires are meant for emergency use...as such, small differences in tire size won't matter to your drive train for the intended use period...I have 285/70-17 and there's no way to mount that under my truck...I'll either plug/patch with onboard repair kit or use the smaller spare...I honestly don't think it'll hurt anything in the short run...
Sponsored