Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I add a couple of drops of Red lock-tite to the threads if I can't find one welded to the mount. You will need a torch to remove the nut. The Blue or Green lock-tite isn't as strong.

I like to get a ball mount and ball rated greater than the truck capacity. Not that I would intentionally overload it, but the dynamic forces of towing can cause higher forces while towing than the actual towed weight. I am a former Crane Rigger, lifting loads from 1/2 ton to 250 ton and take that experience into consideration when buying the ball/mount. There is always a safety factor figured into the rating (usually a minimum of 1 1/2 times the load capacity). I am buying a 10,000 lb capacity ball and mount just "to be on the safe side". :muscle:
I use JB Weld on mine. Screw the ball in. JB Weld on top of nut.

Aint goin no where
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have been reading thru this trying to determine what drop to get. There seems to be so many variations. So do some of you have your trucks lifted are all they factory? Also what are you towing? My first tow will be a U-haul 6x12 trailer for a move coming soon, so I stopped by U-haul to measure things.
My receiver from the ground to the inside bottom edge is 201/4", if I use a 2' drop that will put the trailer pretty much level, maybe low with no load. I do not see the need for a 4 or 6" drop, seems to low.
The only think I've towed was a 5x8 UHaul and I have a 2" drop receiver and it was perfect with that trailer. Mine is all stock - no lift or different tires.

I think you would only need 4-6" drop if you did a lift or larger tires.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The only think I've towed was a 5x8 UHaul and I have a 2" drop receiver and it was perfect with that trailer. Mine is all stock - no lift or different tires.

I think you would only need 4-6" drop if you did a lift or larger tires.
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. Now I am headed in the wright direction. Towed plenty before just not with this truck.

OP
OP
Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I needed a 6" drop for the small 5x8 utility trailer I use the most. Maybe not what everyone needs but thats what I needed to make it tow level. Stock truck btw.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I needed a 6" drop for the small 5x8 utility trailer I use the most. Maybe not what everyone needs but thats what I needed to make it tow level. Stock truck btw.
If it is the kind of trailer I'm thinking about I think those sit lower because they have smaller tires than the UHaul trailers do. Is it something like this?

62647_zzz_500.jpg

If so, that only has 12" tires and the UHaul trailer has larger tires which would make the hitch correspondingly higher.

So it does depend on what you are going to tow.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
No matter what the rating of the hitch is it is only as strong as the weakest link and stuff happens. Welds break, bolts break, things get loose. The condition of our highways are bad. Dont just trust it check it often.

OP
OP
Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
If it is the kind of trailer I'm thinking about I think those sit lower because they have smaller tires than the UHaul trailers do. Is it something like this?

62647_zzz_500.jpg

If so, that only has 12" tires and the UHaul trailer has larger tires which would make the hitch correspondingly higher.

So it does depend on what you are going to tow.
Not exactly like that but yeah its a fairly small utility trailer. Hes a picture with my previous Ranger:

20190830_095920.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly like that but yeah its a fairly small utility trailer. Hes a picture with my previous Ranger:

20190830_095920.jpg
Yeah, they look pretty similar - similar size tires anyway. I'd guess that is probably where the difference in hitch height comes from.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
My dealer let me tow my boat with a 2019 Ranger and I will be ordering a 2020. My current ball mount is a 4" drop but it was very evident while towing my boat that I will need a 6" drop.

I currently have 3 fixed ball mounts (all purchased in 2002 or earlier) and they were all made in USA. I would like to find a 6" drop fixed ball mount that is made in USA but that seems to be more difficult to find now. Most ball mounts I have looked at are made in China. Anybody know of a brand made in USA?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer let me tow my boat with a 2019 Ranger and I will be ordering a 2020. My current ball mount is a 4" drop but it was very evident while towing my boat that I will need a 6" drop.

I currently have 3 fixed ball mounts (all purchased in 2002 or earlier) and they were all made in USA. I would like to find a 6" drop fixed ball mount that is made in USA but that seems to be more difficult to find now. Most ball mounts I have looked at are made in China. Anybody know of a brand made in USA?
I think Curt is made here. They may outsource some parts but have stringent standards that have to be met.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've been using this 5" drop ball mount for about 25 years. It's made from 3/4" thick steel. I think it'll work fine but I'm not sure how much "squat" the Ranger will have with a load on it.

I just ground and repainted the end that goes into the received so it wouldn't rust up the hitch on our new Ranger.

001.JPG

Ranger and Tilt Bed Trailer.JPG

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I've been using this 5" drop ball mount for about 25 years. It's made from 3/4" thick steel. I think it'll work fine but I'm not sure how much "squat" the Ranger will have with a load on it.

I just ground and repainted the end that goes into the received so it wouldn't rust up the hitch on our new Ranger.

001.JPG

Ranger and Tilt Bed Trailer.JPG
Not that it matters, but that’s a 6” drop. They are measured from the top of the 2” square to the top of the flat part where the ball mounts.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not that it matters, but that’s a 6” drop. They are measured from the top of the 2” square to the top of the flat part where the ball mounts.
Thanks! I learned something today. :thumbsup:

Ball Drop.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I think Curt is made here. They may outsource some parts but have stringent standards that have to be met.
Thanks for pointing me to Curt. I did some investigating and it appears some of Curt's ball mounts are made in USA and others are made in China. Curt's website indicates this loaded ball mount (https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45064) is made in USA. "Loaded" is their terminology for a ball mount with the hitch pin and ball included and factory torqued. When I looked at a Curt 6 inch drop ball mount at a local big box store (Mills Fleet Farm) its label said it was made in China. Amazon sells the loaded ball mount so I plan to order it from them.
Sponsored