t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Such a funny confusing crowd

Dont dare say a tailgate damper is a waste of time.
But auto start/stop can be beaten to death time and time again.

The feature saves fuel, that's its designed purpose.
Globally we are going down the wrong path believing this world will thrive on burning dead dinosaurs. Do whatever you wish, there will always be the bottom feeding rednecks burning coal in their big diesel trucks cuz it's the American way. I only pray they're the first ones to choke to death on the atmosphere when it goes sour so I can stand up...well maybe kneel, and proclaim, that's karma you dumb f#cks. Hack.cough.choke....wheeeze
Ok that's maybe a little harsh, it will be your inbred grandchildren that should go first.

I think the argument here is that while it may save a few gallons of fuel annually, the energy represented by those few gallons of fuel is consumed (and then some}) by 1. All the new electronics, and hardware the truck has to run in order to properly start and stop, and 2. Producing, shipping, installing, repairing, and subsequent recycling of the broken parts.

I personally like the system, but I can understand how it may be interpreted as "carbon shifting" rather than "carbon prevention". Just because your car didn't make the carbon, doesn't mean it didn't get made.

We should just reforest as much of the earth as we can so that some day (a really long time from now) someone can discover oil, and the whole shit storm can restart.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
both valid concerns, but unlikely. its an unfair world we live in with the economy driving everything we do, and its all killing us slowly. Yet, giving back a little is better than giving back nothing at all.

the broken parts thing, is hypothetical at this time. while I'm sure some will require replacement parts, the consensus of every vehicle wearing out the "starter" is hogwash . i wear through more brakes and tires than any starter will cost. So should I disable my brakes so I wont have to replace them down the road?
Agreed mostly.

It doesn't use the starter, it uses the alternator. The MOST common failure point will be the battery lasting a few years less. I have a few batteries in the 10-12 year old range that still work perfectly, I'll be interested to see how long the Ranger battery lasts. I'm still too lazy to do the math on how much fuel I actually save vs how much battery life - X years would cost.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed mostly.

It doesn't use the starter, it uses the alternator. The MOST common failure point will be the battery lasting a few years less. I have a few batteries in the 10-12 year old range that still work perfectly, I'll be interested to see how long the Ranger battery lasts. I'm still too lazy to do the math on how much fuel I actually save vs how much battery life - X years would cost.
It would be difficult to actually pinpoint how much of your battery life reduction was a direct result of the start/stop. There are so many other factors, but it would definitely be an interesting case study.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
I do my part, no matter how close I live to the US and no matter how much others pollute. It's a stupid argument to think it doesnt matter. Even if it's a drop in the bucket.
I love Canadians. They never have a problem telling Americans what they would do differently politically, environmentally, etc. From what I can tell you own a pickup truck and a helicopter. Thanks for doing your part...we are all humbled.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Should be forum rule"Must play well with others" come on guys dont turn this great site into Taco World

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Should be forum rule"Must play well with others" come on guys dont turn this great site into Taco World
There is:

2. Flaming / Bashing / Bickering / Trolling / Baiting — "Flaming" of members, including personal attacks and insults towards another member, petty bickering or bashing of another member and/or their vehicle preferences for any reason (because of engine/vehicle choice, mods, stock vs. non stock, personal reasons, etc), trolling or baiting arguments is NOT acceptable behavior on THIS site. This includes overt, repeated or excessive bashing of another vehicle brand, make or model. Members are advised to use the IGNORE function if you have a personality conflict with another member.

Please consider this a warning - please cease the bickering.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
There is:

2. Flaming / Bashing / Bickering / Trolling / Baiting — "Flaming" of members, including personal attacks and insults towards another member, petty bickering or bashing of another member and/or their vehicle preferences for any reason (because of engine/vehicle choice, mods, stock vs. non stock, personal reasons, etc), trolling or baiting arguments is NOT acceptable behavior on THIS site. This includes overt, repeated or excessive bashing of another vehicle brand, make or model. Members are advised to use the IGNORE function if you have a personality conflict with another member. !
yup!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Is fake news bickering? On the internet it is all fake guessing. It is entertaining and creates more posts for the web site.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Is fake news bickering? On the internet it is all fake guessing. It is entertaining and creates more posts for the web site.
Bickering and Insulting are two different things..
Yup, cheap entertainment, I love it...to a point..

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Excuse my ignorance, but where IS this “ignore” button? I haven’t seen one (not that I want to ignore anyone:sun:).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Excuse my ignorance, but where IS this “ignore” button? I haven’t seen one (not that I want to ignore anyone:sun:).
Just click on your "Personal Details" page at the top right then scroll down on your left and you'll see "People You Ignore".

I dont ignore anyone either as this site is really great. Now the Tacoma World site is another story. :)

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
tenor.gif

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Just click on your "Personal Details" page at the top right then scroll down on your left and you'll see "People You Ignore".

I dont ignore anyone either as this site is really great. Now the Tacoma World site is another story. :)
Thanks.
Sponsored