Can you use E-15 Gas? (Flex Fuel Vehicle)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
FWIW, the Ranger is NOT considered a Flex vehicle, my guess is the E15 is "maybe about 15% of this is ethanol", and could go over the 15% mark which is why it's labled for FFV only. I'd stay away from it as in the worst case you'd be on the hook for a new engine if things went badly, in the best case, you'd just get crappy mileage as the ECU adjusts the fuel volume up to compensate for the less energy dense fuel.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
In az we get ethanol mix in the cool months. It wont work when it is hot. ALL POLITICS NO SCIENCE.:thumbsdown:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In az we get ethanol mix in the cool months. It wont work when it is hot. ALL POLITICS NO SCIENCE.:thumbsdown:
You get it in AZ because it really won't work in Michigan during the winter, and they need something to do with all the corn the federal govt subsidizes.

Ethanol is hydrophilic meaning it absorbs water (you already knew that), in the winter, everything is wet and gross up here, so you would end up with 12" of diluted ethanol in the bottom of every gas station tank instead of just 6" of straight water. My guess is you poor folks in AZ have less of a problem with water in the winter, and so you get it dumped on you.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Although I now live in WY I own a half section of Iowa farmland and have for years. Keep in mind that currently it costs more to raise a bushel of corn than it's worth at market. Without subsidies the small farmer such as myself would go out of business and the land would be purchased by "big agra," exactly what no one wants. During the '90s prices were high enough subsidies were not needed, but previously and now, they are. Remember the price you see is FOB Chicago. Subtract about 57 cents a bushel for basis (delivery/handling), another few cents if the crop has a moisture content above 12%, and another percentage for FOD (stuff other than product). Keep in mind it costs more for fertilizer than the corn itself (corn is now about $300/bag (same size as a 40 pound bag of water softener salt). Once this trade thing with China gets worked out (and it will) prices will rise. BTW, 95% of corn goes to feed cattle, very little goes to food for us (I don't eat that much Corn Flakes), Think of that while eating your next steak.

Ethanol. Remember 10%/15% is like 3.2 beer. That is, in order to comply, the amount can't be greater than 10%. Many 3.2 beers are only 2.8 or so (craft beer excepted) and like beer, Ethanol is less than 10%, about 8% (give or take). If you are against Ethanol, and I have no quarrel one way or the other, an occasional tank is actually good for your vehicle. If you remember HS Chemistry, any compound that ends in "ol" is an alcohol and alcohol is a solvent. Hygroscopic - it adsorbs water and is the basis for the "dry gas" product you buy at the auto parts store to keep moisture out of your tank in the winter. Ethanol has a much higher octane than gasoline but, as pointed out, has fewer BTUs per unit, so milage will suffer. This is not normally measurable until % of Ethanol is high. The down side of Ethanol in greater percentage than 10 is when vehicles are allowed to sit for extended periods. Water is heavier than gas and will settle in the fuel lines low spots and may be a problem. Not a problem with 10% but more can be problematic and auto mfgrs do not what to have to deal with it (blame them?)

Fun fact...At Ethanol plants guess what is added to Ethanol when it made....Gasoline. Why? Because as soon as it's distilled it's drinkable, the same as you buy under the name of Everclear. Each Ethanol plant consumes about 35,000 bushels of corn a day.

Sorry this is so long but I get really tired of farmers being called greedy. Most are just trying to make a living and provide for their families. None I know are rich. Remember, if you are going to talk about farmers...don't talk with you mouth full.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
E15 is only 15%E I guess, so it's just 5% more than the current blends at 10%E in Regular and Mid Grade. Maybe a new trend for cities etc, but sure won't be in rural areas, we're lucky to get 3 Octanes let alone 5.
87, 89, 91, E85, E15.

I just did a image search and holy crap the pumps are crazy.
sig_081313_e85_promo_1.jpg
LMAO I live in the boondocks and always wondered how ppl even get e15 or e85 i've never seen it. Anyway, I'm glad we still have non-ethanol 91 around me that's all I use. The gas mileage increase alone is worth it not to mention the harmful effects of ethanol.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Although I now live in WY I own a half section of Iowa farmland and have for years. Keep in mind that currently it costs more to raise a bushel of corn than it's worth at market. Without subsidies the small farmer such as myself would go out of business and the land would be purchased by "big agra," exactly what no one wants. During the '90s prices were high enough subsidies were not needed, but previously and now, they are. Remember the price you see is FOB Chicago. Subtract about 57 cents a bushel for basis (delivery/handling), another few cents if the crop has a moisture content above 12%, and another percentage for FOD (stuff other than product). Keep in mind it costs more for fertilizer than the corn itself (corn is now about $300/bag (same size as a 40 pound bag of water softener salt). Once this trade thing with China gets worked out (and it will) prices will rise. BTW, 95% of corn goes to feed cattle, very little goes to food for us (I don't eat that much Corn Flakes), Think of that while eating your next steak.

Ethanol. Remember 10%/15% is like 3.2 beer. That is, in order to comply, the amount can't be greater than 10%. Many 3.2 beers are only 2.8 or so (craft beer excepted) and like beer, Ethanol is less than 10%, about 8% (give or take). If you are against Ethanol, and I have no quarrel one way or the other, an occasional tank is actually good for your vehicle. If you remember HS Chemistry, any compound that ends in "ol" is an alcohol and alcohol is a solvent. Hygroscopic - it adsorbs water and is the basis for the "dry gas" product you buy at the auto parts store to keep moisture out of your tank in the winter. Ethanol has a much higher octane than gasoline but, as pointed out, has fewer BTUs per unit, so milage will suffer. This is not normally measurable until % of Ethanol is high. The down side of Ethanol in greater percentage than 10 is when vehicles are allowed to sit for extended periods. Water is heavier than gas and will settle in the fuel lines low spots and may be a problem. Not a problem with 10% but more can be problematic and auto mfgrs do not what to have to deal with it (blame them?)

Fun fact...At Ethanol plants guess what is added to Ethanol when it made....Gasoline. Why? Because as soon as it's distilled it's drinkable, the same as you buy under the name of Everclear. Each Ethanol plant consumes about 35,000 bushels of corn a day.

Sorry this is so long but I get really tired of farmers being called greedy. Most are just trying to make a living and provide for their families. None I know are rich. Remember, if you are going to talk about farmers...don't talk with you mouth full.
Speaking of dry gas I love how even with the ethanol in fuel these days they still sell that crap in stores even though it will only add to the problem of water in your gas when using gas with ethanol already in it. Then you have phase separation where ethanol separates from the gas, sinks, and the engine tries to run on mostly ethanol. As a powersports mechanic I get this all the time and the first thing the customer says is "I added a bottle of drygas but it didn't help" :headbang:

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
BTW, fuel in Mid-TN was $2.11 per gallon for regular this morning.
Great leaving Florida for Gatlinburg saturday morning if Dorian lets me. Love the Smokies and cheap gas is a plus!!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I wasn't digging farmers, I was simply saying that they need to continue to subsidize it, or there will be other negative economic effects.

also, clarify your "$300/bag", I believe you left off the decimal point.

LMAO I live in the boondocks and always wondered how ppl even get e15 or e85 i've never seen it. Anyway, I'm glad we still have non-ethanol 91 around me that's all I use. The gas mileage increase alone is worth it not to mention the harmful effects of ethanol.
I live smack dab in the middle of corn fields, and 3 miles from a drag strip. We had it for about a year when it was first a "thing", but now all of those pumps are either back to regular gasoline, empty, or carrying rec90 0% ethanol...

Even the regular gas in some stations tests out to a very low amount of ethanol, from what I assume is water ingress into their tanks (which sucks it out and makes it settle to the bottom)