RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't seem to be, both FX4 & non FX4 owners have posted saying they have it.
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it at this point - at least not that I'm seeing.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it at this point - at least not that I'm seeing.
I'm starting to think they may all have the driver's side shim. There are probably still 20 or so Rangers at my local dealer....when I get a chance I'll go look at those.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think they may all have the driver's side shim. There are probably still 20 or so Rangers at my local dealer....when I get a chance I'll go look at those.
I was thinking someone reported they didn't have it, but in looking back at the prior posts, it looks like everyone has reported having the shim on the drivers side. Will be interested to find out what you see.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I just checked my 2WD STX XL and it has the two shims on the drivers side and one on the passenger. It was made in late March so it would have likely picked up any running changes. Honestly, given that I want the back lower I'd be tempted to take out the second one on the drivers side and the single one on the passenger side. Not sure why it needs the single one as there doesn't seem to be any clearance issues.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked my 2WD STX XL and it has the two shims on the drivers side and one on the passenger. It was made in late March so it would have likely picked up any running changes. Honestly, given that I want the back lower I'd be tempted to take out the second one on the drivers side and the single one on the passenger side. Not sure why it needs the single one as there doesn't seem to be any clearance issues.
Hi Pete,

Careful...That "shim" is actually a half spring, sometimes called a slapper spring...you need that spring, so you only have one shim on the left rear...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
4x4 STX Supercab.

Just looked. 2 on drivers sid . 1 on passenger.

My thought is to off set gas tank and driver weight?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
4x4 STX Supercab.

Just looked. 2 on drivers sid . 1 on passenger.

My thought is to off set gas tank and driver weight?
Hi Tod...read above...one of those shims is a half spring....not a shim...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Unless I am mis-reading something the pattern seems to be this is normal spec and it took a lot of effort by the OP to get his Ranger in to spec. This would be a fun poll question. Maybe take the results to blueovalforums and see if anyone there has an answer.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tod...read above...one of those shims is a half spring....not a shim...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Are you sure? I just went outside and looked, those shims don't extend out past the axle mounting flange so I'm not sure how they'd be a 1/2 spring. I used to have some 1/2 springs (the shortest leaf only went forward on the stack) on my '65 Mustang. These don't look anything like that, they look just like shims.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure? I just went outside and looked, those shims don't extend out past the axle mounting flange so I'm not sure how they'd be a 1/2 spring. I used to have some 1/2 springs (the shortest leaf only went forward on the stack) on my '65 Mustang. These don't look anything like that, they look just like shims.
Hi.

Okay...maybe because you have an XL....however I doubt it. Look at the spring from the front to the back and take a picture. maybe the XL is different. Not from the rear but from the front looking back.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi.

Okay...maybe because you have an XL....however I doubt it. Look at the spring from the front to the back and take a picture. maybe the XL is different. Not from the rear but from the front looking back.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Attaching a pic. It indeed has two spacers on the left and one on the right.

Do those of you who have 4x4, XLT and/or Lariats have this half spring? I have the single spring with the load spring which was what all the reviews said the Ranger would have.

IMG_0990.JPG

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Attaching a pic. It indeed has two spacers on the left and one on the right.

Do those of you who have 4x4, XLT and/or Lariats have this half spring? I have the single spring with the load spring which was what all the reviews said the Ranger would have.

IMG_0990.JPG
Hi Pete,

Yep...It looks like they indeed put two spacers on your 4x2... Here is a pix of the half "slapper" spring. So you have a mono spring, eh?

Interesting!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

IMG_1387_1.jpg

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Pete,

Yep...It looks like they indeed put two spacers on your 4x2... Here is a pix of the half "slapper" spring. So you have a mono spring, eh?

Interesting!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

IMG_1387_1.jpg
I have that slapper spring too it's what I referred to as the helper. So, I have the mono and the helper but the helper/slapper spring goes just as far in the back as it does in the front.
Sponsored