Effect of start/stop on turbo?

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Hopefully this will help dispel some of the myths floating around about Auto Stop Start.

Basically the video says if you are idling for more than about 7 seconds you are starting to waste fuel versus letting the engine stop. The amount of fuel needed to restart is very low compared to letting the engine idle. Auto Stop Start can have from 4 to 8.7% better fuel economy in city type use. That the engineers planned on the extra use of the starter and beefed it up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark W

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm 99% sure neither is true. The oil pump is driven from the counter balance shaft in the engine and when it's stopped there is no oil pressure. The water pump is belt driven from the engine as well.
I’m 99% sure it does have either coolant or oil running through the turbo when the vehicle shuts down. You can hear it. Put the Ranger in park and turn it on. Open the hood. Shit the Ranger off while standing in front. You will here the turbo timer running either/both oil or water through the system.

My 1987 Porsche Turbo has this and that is over 30 years ago. Not that uncommon to cool a turbo after the engine shuts down

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I still can't believe people think that the engineers don't think of these issues when designing new features.

1) There is an auxiliary electrical water pump that will cycle coolant after shut off if necessary.
2) The auto stop/start is run off the BISG (Belt Integrated Starter Generator) aka special alternator. These alternators can run in reverse and can provide enough torque to spin the engine under low-load conditions (i.e. when the engine is warm). By using a BISG, the starter does not have to engage every time. The other benefit of a BISG is that it does not have to wait for the engine to come to a complete stop before starting back up unlike the starter. If you let off of the brake just as the engine is about to shut down, it will spin right back up with minimal lag - it's great!

TL;DR: Auto stop/start will not harm anything y'all.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
To me it's not a question of if it will harm or hurt the engine or trans or whatever. I just don't like the feature. I find it annoying.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’m 99% sure it does have either coolant or oil running through the turbo when the vehicle shuts down. You can hear it. Put the Ranger in park and turn it on. Open the hood. Shit the Ranger off while standing in front. You will here the turbo timer running either/both oil or water through the system.

My 1987 Porsche Turbo has this and that is over 30 years ago. Not that uncommon to cool a turbo after the engine shuts down
I was aware that turbo cooling after engine shutoff was used for many years. What I did not know was the 2.3L EB had an electric water pump. That makes sense for turbo cooling and keeping the heat going when the engine shuts down at a red light.
I have not had the Ranger running with the hood open and have not heard 'running water'. Lol (jiggle the handle dear....).

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I'm fine with the Auto Shut off, as I'm used to it with our Prius.

I know mine will shut off at the stop w/ the A/C on and noticed the blower speed drops down a few notch, and then after a few minutes, then it starts up again to run the compressor. I haven't been at a stop light long enough to see if it cycles off.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
That's a good question. At bare minimum, it incurs unnecessary wear and tear on the starter but I have to think it puts more stress on other parts of the engine. I honestly hate everything about the auto start/stop feature. I installed the auto start/stop eliminator and have not looked back.
Come on. The engine was designed from ground up for turbo and start/stop.

You sound like they took an engine from 1985 off the self amd trew a turbo amd start/stop on it.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
those who don't mind the auto stop/start. ponder this. For instance. Lets say after 1 year of using the start/stop. you utilize that feature on average 4 times a day. So basically 4 stops. That is like turn off your truck and back on 1,460 extra times; just for one year. Sounds like a lot of stop starts. All that extra stress not only on the battery; but the starter. And engine components. Now that is just after 1 year. If its utilized 4 times a day. Use it in traffic? Or the city? then that number only gets higher. I'm sorry but I'd rather not have my truck turn off/on that many "extra" and unnecessary times for save a few $ on gas. It's a truck. It's basically insignificant. Not only this. But I wouldn't want to risk my truck not starting again if i'm in the middle of no where; or out of town. just my 2 cents.
And this is not the 80s.

Did you efer think everything was designed and speced to handle this?

My god people. Think a little

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what will happen in the long term with the stop start system turning the engine off after coming to a stop with a hot engine?
Since this engine was designed NOT TO IDLE, i would think disabling stop/start would have a worse affect on the engine.

Do you actually think ford grabbed an engine from 1985 off the shelf and added a turbo and start/stop?

This engine was designed for turbo.
It was designed for start/stop.

Thats like worrying that the sr-71 would suffer fron high altitude flying.

And as a general comment. Idling is harder and more damaging to any gas engine than starting it.

Hllll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 XLT 302A with Sport package
To me it's not a question of if it will harm or hurt the engine or trans or whatever. I just don't like the feature. I find it annoying.
same here...plus I only saw a 0.4mpg improvement in my F150 2.7....why the hell go through all this trouble for nothing?! I know it’s EPA’s fault though. I gladly disabled mine!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Meh, emissions in North America are a drop in the buck when compared to air pollution coming out of countries like China and India. Also, pretty harsh commentary from a guy who lives as close to the U.S. border as one can possibly get. ;)

Such a funny confusing crowd

Dont dare say a tailgate damper is a waste of time.
But auto start/stop can be beaten to death time and time again.

The feature saves fuel, that's its designed purpose.
Globally we are going down the wrong path believing this world will thrive on burning dead dinosaurs. Do whatever you wish, there will always be the bottom feeding rednecks burning coal in their big diesel trucks cuz it's the American way. I only pray they're the first ones to choke to death on the atmosphere when it goes sour so I can stand up...when maybe kneel, and proclaim, that's karma you dumb f#cks. Hack.cough.choke....wheeeze
Ok that's maybe a little harsh, it will be your inbred grandchildren that should go first.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I like the stop start implementation in the ranger. The AC keeps going well enough and the cranking time on the 2.3 is so fast your moving without real delay. I've driven several rental cars that are nowhere near as good. It's not as good as Skyactive G on my wife's new Mazda, but it's actually pretty good. On the mazda you can't even tell the engine stopped or restarted it's so seamless.

The larger and slightly heavier Ranger gets better city mpg than my Jeep did. I'll take stop start.

Drop in a new AGM battery in 3 to 5 years, or upgrade earlier, and there should nothing else to worry about.

If you think Ford missed something regarding the turbo... I dont even know what to say. Powertrain warranty covers it. Hoping for failures or distrusting a feat of engineering without any technical basis is foolhardy.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I don't have much of a problem with the system and the way it performs. Seems just fine to me. The Ranger's system behaves just like any hybrid I have owned or driven. I've owned two in the past, Lexus RX and CT so perhaps it is not as "jarring" for me as it is for others. Having driven cars with these systems for years, I don't see any long term issues with the Ranger's stop/start feature. It's not like this is a new tech....its been around forever and proven.
Sponsored