New mods: first time off-road

TheMarkP

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
slapped on the new grill and rock sliders and hit the trailers with a fully built Jeep and Tacoma up in Big Bear. Didn’t do anything crazy but man was it a blast. The lil guy kept up with everyone and I couldn’t be happier. Now that I have a baseline the new suspension wheels and tires are going in....will update soon.

A52AEAFC-E929-442B-AAFC-D59D8636E54B.jpeg

0A97B56B-F08F-48EB-BC44-F44B14D90321.jpeg
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
What sliders did you go with? Easy to install?

Stock Dynapro ATMs doing ok?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
What sliders did you go with? Easy to install?

Stock Dynapro ATMs doing ok?
Not OP, but I have a fair amount of experience with the stock tires and also the Falkens that I upgraded to.

The stock tires are great for on-road - quiet, comfortable, good fuel economy. Off-road, they're simply not aggressive enough. They clog with mud super easily, don't clear mud with wheel speed very well, and just really don't claw at much in the dirt. They're solid in the snow, never had issues, but it's not like I ever went through 1 ft+ of snow.

I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's since the stock tires weren't great and I wanted something a little bigger. Went with the biggest size that fit without a lift (265/70/17 31.6"), and holy shit, the difference is night and day. These tires are definitely heavier, I do feel the weight driving around town. The Falken treads are much deeper, much wider, and much more aggressive. The sidewall/shoulder also has much more aggressive tread on it as well which is great for airing down. These tires are not M/T's, so they do hold onto some mud, but man, they clear so well with some wheel speed. I had no issues in heavy sloppy mud, and gripped incredibly well at low wheel speeds as well. Would highly recommend, especially for the price (~$550 for a set).

TL;DR: Stock Dynapros are fine for the average guy needing to drive on a quick trail to get to a fishing spot. I do not trust them for anything more than that.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Not OP, but I have a fair amount of experience with the stock tires and also the Falkens that I upgraded to.

The stock tires are great for on-road - quiet, comfortable, good fuel economy. Off-road, they're simply not aggressive enough. They clog with mud super easily, don't clear mud with wheel speed very well, and just really don't claw at much in the dirt. They're solid in the snow, never had issues, but it's not like I ever went through 1 ft+ of snow.

I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's since the stock tires weren't great and I wanted something a little bigger. Went with the biggest size that fit without a lift (265/70/17 31.6"), and holy shit, the difference is night and day. These tires are definitely heavier, I do feel the weight driving around town. The Falken treads are much deeper, much wider, and much more aggressive. The sidewall/shoulder also has much more aggressive tread on it as well which is great for airing down. These tires are not M/T's, so they do hold onto some mud, but man, they clear so well with some wheel speed. I had no issues in heavy sloppy mud, and gripped incredibly well at low wheel speeds as well. Would highly recommend, especially for the price (~$550 for a set).

TL;DR: Stock Dynapros are fine for the average guy needing to drive on a quick trail to get to a fishing spot. I do not trust them for anything more than that.
I agree, stock was not great, took it off road and I ended up with a huge gash in my sidewalls, a fun slow journey back on a spare tire lol. Got the Falkens and they are definitely awesome.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
@doug910 thanks for the tire info!

I was thinking the same about the stock ATMs. The tread depth is so low new it looks like they are half worn down already. That and they are not chunky enough to call an off road tire in my opinion. AT, sure.

On my Jeep I had Grabber AT2s and absolutely loved them. I tore the rim protector and blew a cord in the sidewall but never got a flat. Fast forward to now and they are making a Grabber ATX that is LT rated instead of P, and has beefier sidewalls. BUTTTT of course they dont come in any useful sizes for my Lariat 18s :crying::crying: So I've been trying to decide on Falkens, or the played out and pricey KO2s or Duratracs.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
@doug910 thanks for the tire info!

I was thinking the same about the stock ATMs. The tread depth is so low new it looks like they are half worn down already. That and they are not chunky enough to call an off road tire in my opinion. AT, sure.

On my Jeep I had Grabber AT2s and absolutely loved them. I tore the rim protector and blew a cord in the sidewall but never got a flat. Fast forward to now and they are making a Grabber ATX that is LT rated instead of P, and has beefier sidewalls. BUTTTT of course they dont come in any useful sizes for my Lariat 18s :crying::crying: So I've been trying to decide on Falkens, or the played out and pricey KO2s or Duratracs.
That was one of the big reasons why I went with the 17's on my truck - more tire sizes for aggressive off road tires and more sidewall = better for airing down. The Grabbers are great too! Although I don't have experience with the Duratracs, something about them doesn't seem appealing to me. Maybe it's the road noise I hear when they go by or unaesthetic (to me) tread combined with expensive price to make me deter from them lol. I would take the KO2 any day but they are expensive. Do the Toyo Open Country/Nitto Trail Grapplers come in your size?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I agree, stock was not great, took it off road and I ended up with a huge gash in my sidewalls, a fun slow journey back on a spare tire lol. Got the Falkens and they are definitely awesome.
Just saw on your insta that you got the level kit up front. How do you like them? I'm worried about ride quality and the fact that articulation isn't increased off road.

Last edited:

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw on your insta that you got the level kit up front. How do you like them? I'm worried about ride quality and the fact that articulation isn't increased off road.
I love the 3 inch lift, to me, first day when I drove it around after I got the lift kit the rid quality seemed ridiculously improved up front. I haven't run into too much of an articulation issue yet but I could see what you mean. I still feel like the back of my truck is a bit bouncy as people have talked about so I might get some different rear shocks from fabtech. But overall in terms of the front lift it was a great investment to me, provided the look I wanted and improved ride quality.
Sponsored