Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the taillight has to be oddly shaped to accommodate the blind spot/cross traffic.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Something like this to protect the headlights:
2e4f7d3094a93f312afcedc7c4b05255.jpg

And something like this to protect the taillights:
1390bdf3e897308d42ee2c8882797ffb.jpg

I don't want to spend $1200 to replace a broken headlight or taillight

We're on the same wavelength Rob. Someone will come out with one but probably not to my taste. I am in the process of working with partners who are in possession of CNC mandrel tube benders and laser cutters. Right now, I'm checking with my colleages at Ford Design for CAD data or scans. If that comes up dry, then I'll become a member of SEMA's Garage to get direct access. Front brush guard and tail lamp guard are two low hanging ideas. Rock sliders, roof rack mount, head ache bars are just as easy. None of these require tooling investment.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We're on the same wavelength Rob. Someone will come out with one but probably not to my taste. I am in the process of working with partners who are in possession of CNC mandrel tube benders and laser cutters. Right now, I'm checking with my colleages at Ford Design for CAD data or scans. If that comes up dry, then I'll become a member of SEMA's Garage to get direct access. Front brush guard and tail lamp guard are two low hanging ideas. Rock sliders, roof rack mount, head ache bars are just as easy. None of these require tooling investment.
In the meantime, I'm wrapping my taillights and headlights with paint protection film - not a great substitute, but at least it is some level of protection. The brushy forest service roads I drive on regularly cause me concern for both items. My tail lights already have some light marks on them. I never had a problem with my 2005 Ranger lights, but the truck was narrower and the tail lights didn't stick out like these do. Plus the units were CONSIDERABLY cheaper to replace if something broke. The costs on both the headlights (for the Lariat in particular due to the LED stuff I'm guessing) and the taillights (due to the BLIS stuff I'm assuming).

I will be interested to see what you come up with. Please keep up informed with your progress. They both do seem to be pretty low hanging fruit.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I’m definitely on board with protection for the $995 taillights. I will most like never take my pavement princess off-roading, but I hate the gnarly looking welds on the underside. I’d like to hide them with some very tight rock sliders. Im 6’3 and don’t need or want steps. As for the front, I’m still on the fence as to what I want.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We (Mack Trucks), currently have a laser cut lamp guard on our refuse LR truck. I'm thinking similar path but to be mounted on the periphery of Ranger's lamp opening with 3M tape to avoid drilling. The brush guard will protect the entire width of the bumper but will be separate from headlamp guard. As soon as I get hold of scan data, I can knock these ideas out in a day.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m definitely on board with protection for the $995 taillights. I will most like never take my pavement princess off-roading, but I hate the gnarly looking welds on the underside. I’d like to hide them with some very tight rock sliders. Im 6’3 and don’t need or want steps. As for the front, I’m still on the fence as to what I want.
I wasn't planning to get steps but am reconsidering them - not for the step but as a way to help prevent door dings. The metal is so thin it dents REALLY easily.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't really see how normal steps would prevent door dings--most cars have doors where the middle will make contact long before the bottom hits the step.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't really see how normal steps would prevent door dings--most cars have doors where the middle will make contact long before the bottom hits the step.
I've seen a few postings here saying they did help protect against door dings. Was I mis-reading them?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Something like this to protect the headlights:
2e4f7d3094a93f312afcedc7c4b05255.jpg

And something like this to protect the taillights:
1390bdf3e897308d42ee2c8882797ffb.jpg

I don't want to spend $1200 to replace a broken headlight or taillight
I think the tail light gaurds would negatively effect the BLIS system

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I saw them also, seemed like wishful thinking. :D
I was assuming that it protected against car doors since cars are lower and the running boards stuck out enough for the door to hit the RB before the truck door. I don't see it being effective against other trucks, however. And maybe not even SUVs.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was assuming that it protected against car doors since cars are lower and the running boards stuck out enough for the door to hit the RB before the truck door. I don't see it being effective against other trucks, however. And maybe not even SUVs.
or vans. so, basically, it'll protect against the kind of vehicles that most of the manufacturers are getting out of even selling. :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unless your Ranger is sitting higher with larger tires...most SUVs are low by comparison to mine...something like this would definitely intercept their door:)
DSC09151_2000x.jpg

If you think about it, this rock slider is just high enough to allow the doors to open...if this truck is sitting 3-5" higher than stock, then all other door besides another truck at the same height would strike the bar before the door...
Sponsored