2019 Ford Ranger Reviews Compilation

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
After having my Ranger since April I’d say the reviewers criticisms are pretty accurate. I like my truck very much, but if I could change two things first would be get rid of the floaty and boat like suspension and handling and firm up the spongy brake pedal. We have a few stretches of interstate around here that get rough in patches and the Ranger feels like a 1970’s LTD at 75-80 floating through those stretches. I had a ‘16 F-150 FX4 before and it was much more controlled on the road. Also I live in the mountains and drive highways full of curves. I’m used to it now, but felt tippy as hell when I first drove it. The brakes work ok, but need a firmer pedal and under hard braking there’s way too much nose dive, but that’s the sloppy suspension’s fault.

With that said I do have an FX4 so the standard shocks and suspension might be better. I still would go with the FX4 because all of the other features, but this thing is a floaty boat out on the highway.
Sponsored

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
After having my Ranger since April I’d say the reviewers criticisms are pretty accurate. I like my truck very much, but if I could change two things first would be get rid of the floaty and boat like suspension and handling and firm up the spongy brake pedal. We have a few stretches of interstate around here that get rough in patches and the Ranger feels like a 1970’s LTD at 75-80 floating through those stretches. I had a ‘16 F-150 FX4 before and it was much more controlled on the road. Also I live in the mountains and drive highways full of curves. I’m used to it now, but felt tippy as hell when I first drove it. The brakes work ok, but need a firmer pedal and under hard braking there’s way too much nose dive, but that’s the sloppy suspension’s fault.

With that said I do have an FX4 so the standard shocks and suspension might be better. I still would go with the FX4 because all of the other features, but this thing is a floaty boat out on the highway.

It maybe and FX4 feature because my regular XLT SuperCrew 4x4 exabits none of the floaty ride or spongy brake pedal. I would agree that the brake pedal has to much travel but I have never experienced a spongy pedal.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
It maybe and FX4 feature because my regular XLT SuperCrew 4x4 exabits none of the floaty ride or spongy brake pedal. I would agree that the brake pedal has to much travel but I have never experienced a spongy pedal.
Maybe too much travel is a better way to explain it. It feels like pushing down a pedal on brakes that are well worn instead of being brand new. As far as the float goes I’m guessing the standard suspension is firmer. I was probably exaggerating a bit when I said a 70’s LTD, but years ago I had a 2000 Buick LeSabre rental and this Ranger rides over heaves in the interstate just like that Buick did. It can be fun at times though cause I’ll just pretend I’m running trails at high speed in the desert floating along! :LOL:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1500 Ram
Aug 2019, been trying to figure out whether to buy a Tacoma or Ranger, the decision was made up for me today. Since the back seat on a crew cab is one piece and not a 60/40 as in the Tacoma I lost all interest in the Ranger. To explain a little further, I have a older lab 90# who I have to help up into the vehicle. I have to lift her up to get in, the lack of having a split seat just won't work. The Tacoma has a split back seat and if I remove "two" bolts you can remove the front part of the seat. My thinking is I will probably never put it back, it gives us room for grocery bags, sports stuff etc.
I know i;m not the only person with older dogs.
The Ranger looks really good, would have bought tomorrow except for this issue.
Bill

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Aug 2019, been trying to figure out whether to buy a Tacoma or Ranger, the decision was made up for me today. Since the back seat on a crew cab is one piece and not a 60/40 as in the Tacoma I lost all interest in the Ranger. To explain a little further, I have a older lab 90# who I have to help up into the vehicle. I have to lift her up to get in, the lack of having a split seat just won't work. The Tacoma has a split back seat and if I remove "two" bolts you can remove the front part of the seat. My thinking is I will probably never put it back, it gives us room for grocery bags, sports stuff etc.
Bill
Every person needs to decide what is most important to them when choosing a new vehicle. For me, the back seat situation in the Ranger hasn't even been a problem. I thought it might be annoying, but it hasn't even been an issue for me in 4 months. On the flip side, the power, comfort and technology on the Ranger far outshines the Tacoma for me. When I drive my Ranger it puts a smile on my face when I step on the gas. When I drove the Tacoma, all it did was make me wonder what was going on - lack of power and the transmission constantly hunting for gears.

From my perspective, it seems like you could figure out a compromise for the rear seat that would accommodate your dog and not lose all the other positive things about the Ranger.

Good luck in your decision - I hope you don't regret it. I absolutely LOVE my Ranger - I know I wouldn't be able to say that if I had bought a Tacoma.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this has been posted but I completely agree with this guys assessment...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Bill
Just get a supercab

Snowdigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Bill
I agree, the back seat is the thing I dislike the most with my Ranger. Didn't stop me from buying one, but I do miss the hard-back 60/40 split seat in my old '06 Tacoma. It really was a nice feature and my big old lab made lots of use of it heading to the duck marshes.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
test drive that Tacoma( more than around the block),then test drive the ranger (more than around the block if you can actually say the Tacoma has a better ride for you GET IT!! its a awesome value holding truck!! I tried both, Tacoma first as that's what I really really wanted.after a few miles in the ranger. I continued the test ride knowing I was gonna get one .but you cant go wrong either way. ps I have grandkids to haul no dogs and haven't flipped the back seatup yet maybe never will !!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Bill
The back seat would never be a factor in buying a vehicle or not for me.

But i would never buy a truck that has less payload, less towing, less torque, worse MPG, horrible driver comfort, drums breaks, and is more expensive than a competitor.

But that is just me.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bill
It may be too late, but there is a possible compromise.(and I think someone might have posted something like this earlier) - you can flip the seat bottom up (it locks in the upright position) and then you could cut some plywood or something to create a platform on the base of the seat that your dog could sit on. It would be about 6-8" lower than the seat itself and be a larger area than just the seat bottom.

Edit: Found the posting here:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/best-way-to-transport-dogs.2324/#post-34842

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that soundtrack, though! :rockon: :turkey: :ontheloo:
And a "2.4 liter engine" and "4" tie down points in the bed. (a few mistakes obviously) He was more interested in the looks of the truck than the "truck" aspects.

And I LOVE the "old school" parking brake.

I still like watching these things.....
Sponsored