Horrible MPG's

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Oh no, she’d have no idea if something was wrong, unless it didn’t start. 3weeks went by before she told me a new light was lit on the dash (CEL).

No, I drive my truck, my sports car or my motorcycle, she drives her car unless we take the dog for a grooming. We did that last week.
awww... dogs love trucks! LOL
Sponsored

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
IMG_0556.jpg

It's my Granddog and Granddog doesn't get into PaPa's "new" truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polar Bear

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Finally got out for a good highway drive. Filled up and rest all numbers before embarking. Made a 300 mile round trip with an average speed of 75-80 and MPG (manually calculated) of 26.1 (truck readout showed 26 even)! Filled up again yesterday and resumed my daily routine - current average mpg is 17 with speed marked at 13.
My original worry truly has to be related to my daily routine and route. Personally I feel good with these findings.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Finally got out for a good highway drive. Filled up and rest all numbers before embarking. Made a 300 mile round trip with an average speed of 75-80 and MPG (manually calculated) of 26.1 (truck readout showed 26 even)! Filled up again yesterday and resumed my daily routine - current average mpg is 17 with speed marked at 13.
My original worry truly has to be related to my daily routine and route. Personally I feel good with these findings.
Have over 1500 miles on mine now

Mpg have settles at 26.2. I have not reset the avg. Since i left the dealer

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Do you ever watch the instantaneous MPG on the display? If you do that and try to keep it in the 20-25MPG area you will discover how to drive this truck economically. You might be surprised. Don't make a bunch of changes like fuel and tire pressure until you have done this. The gage will top out when coasting and drop quickly when you get on the throttle. It doesn't take much throttle to make the instantaneous go below 15MPG.
I agree. I almost always have the instantaneous MPG displayed.
Want to know BAD mileage, towing 6000 pounds UP hill on an interstate and passing at 70 MPH (accelerating from 55). 4MPG at 70 mph is like pouring fuel from a container.

Last edited:

CoMtnRanger

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger STX Supercab 4X4, 3" lift
Occupation
Engineer
So to start I don't live in boost or WOT. I drive pretty normally and admittedly take full advantage of the turbo while getting on the highway/passing, etc. I'm at a little over 3k on the odo and have been getting 16mpg pretty consecutively. I put in 89 octane (as opposed to 87) yesterday to see but time will tell, in one day it's about the same if not a little worse...... Ideas?
24-26 mpg seems to be my average range - a mix of 38 mile commutes on secondary roads and city driving. If I stick to city driving only it drops to around 21-22. If I were getting 16 I'd schedule with dealership for warranty service.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Say it isn't so PB! You are leaving me all alone in the 17MPG (16.9 avg with 1K miles) club :).

Glad yours worked out and I suspect mine will also, once I get some Highway miles in.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Good to hear there's no major problem. Small turbocharged engines have a rough time with low speed, stop and go fuel economy. The turbo is working about 75% of the time by my observations of the MPG display.

That's one major reason that Ford should have provided additional engine options. Maybe that's coming later.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear there's no major problem. Small turbocharged engines have a rough time with low speed, stop and go fuel economy. The turbo is working about 75% of the time by my observations of the MPG display.

That's one major reason that Ford should have provided additional engine options. Maybe that's coming later.
I do not agree. What option? Naturally inspired v6? Would be hard pressed to match the power and MPG of the turbo 4.

A NI 4 would be waaaaay underpowered like the Taco.

Turbo V6? Will have same low speed stpp and go as the 4.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I do not agree. What option? Naturally inspired v6? Would be hard pressed to match the power and MPG of the turbo 4.

A NI 4 would be waaaaay underpowered like the Taco.

Turbo V6? Will have same low speed stpp and go as the 4.
I concur - while some will disagree, I think the 2.3 with the 10 speed is the perfect choice for this vehicle. They work together extremely well and give you the best of both worlds. Power and economy. With other drivetrains, you get one or the other. I think Ford was calling it the "and" option in their Marking (something like that). While it is marketing, I've found it to be very true. You don't have to make compromises. I think you do have to learn how to drive it correctly if you want to get good mileage, however. It is REALLY easy to get crappy mileage with it - the turbo is so fun!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Instead of auto start stop, there should be a stop and go tune where the turbo doesn't spool until 3000rpm (electronic waste gate can do this). This would solve the stop and go traffic problem because nobody needs 24PSI to go from 0-5-0 mph.

Someone should make a tune for that.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Instead of auto start stop, there should be a stop and go tune where the turbo doesn't spool until 3000rpm (electronic waste gate can do this). This would solve the stop and go traffic problem because nobody needs 24PSI to go from 0-5-0 mph.

Someone should make a tune for that.
That tune already exists, it's found below the knee
Sponsored