djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone removed their Air Dam? I feel like someone did, and it was a little annoying, but i can’t find the post.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just hope the air dam was not like the Colorado, 17 bolts and nearly impossible to remove if you're on the trail. Although, it hung low enough, you could almost use it as a snow plow
The air dam on the 2014 Explorer, my current ride while I wait for my FX4 Ranger to arrive in mid-August, is the same way. It hangs so low that it is always getting caught on stuff, even in parking lots! We loved the Explorer, but I swore when we replaced it, there would be no more damn air dams!

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Haha, I was thinking of doing the opposite. Put an air dam on the FX4 for street use increased mpg. Then taking it off if I wanted to do any off roading fun.

Decided against it eventually. Thought why abuse a nice new truck off road when I can do that with an old Land Rover Series something. Put a locking rear diff in it and then not worry about taking any damage. Besides, I just kinda like the look of those old things. :like:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
are we sure the FX4 skid plate will fit our 4x2 Rangers? I would thin it might, but before I buy one and remove the Airdam I'd like to have it verified!

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I have those plastic pieces by each wheel, with brackets and bolts, if you’re interested. I removed them shortly after I got the truck.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
are we sure the FX4 skid plate will fit our 4x2 Rangers? I would thin it might, but before I buy one and remove the Airdam I'd like to have it verified!
The skid plate attaches to the tow hooks, non OEM on 4x2 trucks. The Ford Performance tow hooks have an angle with tapped hole. I can get a pic if you don't understand.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The skid plate attaches to the tow hooks, non OEM on 4x2 trucks. The Ford Performance tow hooks have an angle with tapped hole. I can get a pic if you don't understand.
Thanks, would appreciate a pic. Haven’t been under the front to familiarize myself with the layout.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Thanks, would appreciate a pic. Haven’t been under the front to familiarize myself with the layout.
I'll get one for you tomorrow, or maybe someone will beat me to the punch before then.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Has anyone simply removed the air dam on a 4x2 version? I don't think I've see anyone JUST do that without the 4x4 skid plate/tow hooks.. just curious how that looks.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Aerodynamically, removing the air dam allows more air under the vehicle, creating dirty air. This creates drag and drag reduces fuel economy. From the Colorado forum, most users experienced at least a 1mpg drop when removing the air dam. If the dam hindered the fuel economy, and with CARB specs, why would a manufacturer install something that reduces economy ?
BS, the air dam doesn't make 1 MPG increase!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Has anyone simply removed the air dam on a 4x2 version? I don't think I've see anyone JUST do that without the 4x4 skid plate/tow hooks.. just curious how that looks.
My STX has the air dam and the tow hooks, Its the skid plate which eliminates the air dam.
The air dam is notched for the tow hooks.
Do they use a different air dam for the trucks without the tow hooks, or do they use a little filler?
Maybe they just leave the notches?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
BS, the air dam doesn't make 1 MPG increase!
I don't see it in this application, but my 1990 Mustang lost the chin spoiler and the car would overheat at highway speeds.
I had to stop at a salvage yard and replace the spoiler to continue my trip.
The things can be functional sometimes.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I think my first mod was to remove the air dam. Mine is 4x4 but I don’t have fx4 so no bash plate for me. Probably the same as the 4x2 look. I like the way it looks and haven’t noticed any difference from a performance perspective. Painted my tow hooks International Harvester Red. Took em off and sprayed them. Pics in my garage. I’ve towed extensively too, no problem with cooling or anything like that.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/djrobb’s-silver-lariat.83/
Sponsored