Anyone installing CB/ Ham radio and/or NMO antenna mount on your new Ranger?

CariKahn

First Name
Cari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi...I have an NMO trunk mount with a VHF whip on mounted on my hood on the other side of the FM radio antenna. That works out pretty good, but where the cable squishes between the hood and fender, the cable is a little too wide for that and is taking paint off of both I think. I have an NMO roof mount that I haven't had the chance to drill into the roof yet to put in, so when that gets done, the VHF whip is going to be moved up there, and I'm putting a 900mHz stub onto the hood mount.

turnkey pcb assembly
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I've got a Yaesu FT-60R i'd like to start running from in my truck, anyone got good antenna suggestions and how to route the cable?

-K8LGO

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've got a Yaesu FT-60R i'd like to start running from in my truck, anyone got good antenna suggestions and how to route the cable?

-K8LGO
I run a Diamond 7500A on a SPM35 magnet mount (because I hit it on trees constantly). I routed the cable in behind the cab through one of the large vents. You might have to find someone with small hands to get it through the vent louvers though. I also mounted my radio body in the spot behind the drivers side rear seat where the B&O factory amp would be mounted in a Lariat with that option (I have an XLT). There is room for the radio body on the other side, or under the rear seat on the crew cab, but I don't know how well it would be vented.

The face of the radio should be in a picture somewhere in this thread, I mounted it with 3M gray in the tray on the dash.

Roger White

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get a nice clean install of an ICOM ID-5100 into my new Ranger. Following this thread with great interest, and thinking about getting one of those sweet 3rd brakelight NMO mounts. My biggest concern with the brakelight mount setup, or anything else on the top of the vehicle, is clearance for indoor parking, etc. I'm thinking of reaching out to companies who make fender mounts to see if any of them have plans to make something 2019 Ranger specific (or, if they possibly have something for the international Rangers that might work). I'm assuming that I will get a better ground plane for the antenna if I am mounting on/near the roof, but less hassle/fiddling if I mount on the front driver-side fender.

Does anyone yet have an installation done who can share more details? Chance (t4thfavor), it looks like you might be further along on this than anyone else so far. Any possibility of documenting your install for the rest of us? :)

de K7AJG, 73 (dit-dit)
......I asked last week Comet (NCG) if they are going to build a No-Hole antenna bracket (used on the hood edge) for the new 2019 Ranger and they said...

"We don’t have many requests for a Ranger bracket, so we don’t plan to make one. Typically, we make them for trucks used in fleet operations.
"

I replied that he may get some now since they hadn't made Rangers since 2011 and they were now selling pretty hot. I sent him some URL's on latest quantities sold, etc.

I going to use the lip mount I used on cars successfully. I had a nice No Hole fender bracket for my 2015 F-50. It was nice and sturdy for VHF/UHF antennas.
"

Guess that means No!

Roger W5RDW

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
This is my solution...shortwave antenna lip mounted to hood on passenger and CB antenna stud mounted through ditch light bracket:)
kYX44nq.jpg

R9xXs7E.jpg

Roger White

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport

We used an endoscopic camera to look around inside the engine compartment and find a path to run the coax......

IMG_4814.jpg
Isn't that a neat tool? I just bought one last week and eyeballed the area you are talking about and also the BIG grommet on the passenger side. It looks interesting in that it has a large area to poke thru. BUT, I haven't looked at where it comes out, since it is on the side of the cab that had a lot of metal, glove compartment, etc. in the way. I'll use the one you are talking about. It just has to get cooler here in Dallas to do any work outside inside the truck.

Roger W5RDW

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
We used an endoscopic camera to look around inside the engine compartment and find a path to run the coax.
How much does something like that cost?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How much does something like that cost?
Less than $50. I routed my cables under the fender and through the passenger door...not through the firewall...

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
I went full commitment and did a permanent mount. I drilled directly over the second row dome light, so I can access the mount without disturbing the headliner. Going to remote mount the radio behind the rear seat, with the faceplate in the tray on the dash. Also installing a Lightforce fascia with their UHF jack to plug the speaker mic into, and a Magnetic Mic mount. Will update as the install progresses.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0193.jpeg

Currently running a Larsen NMO 2/70B. Looking for something shorter with a spring for every day use.

-KD1TRE

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went full commitment and did a permanent mount. I drilled directly over the second row dome light, so I can access the mount without disturbing the headliner. Going to remote mount the radio behind the rear seat, with the faceplate in the tray on the dash. Also installing a Lightforce fascia with their UHF jack to plug the speaker mic into, and a Magnetic Mic mount. Will update as the install progresses.

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0193.jpeg

Currently running a Larsen NMO 2/70B. Looking for something shorter with a spring for every day use.

-KD1TRE
While it's probably the best option, I would straight break that off in short order, and while doing so, I'd probably tear a 4" gash in the roof requiring thousands of dollars in repairs. I stick to the magnet for that reason. Maybe someday I'll get one of those fancy third brake light mounts.

-AD8CJ

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
While it's probably the best option, I would straight break that off in short order, and while doing so, I'd probably tear a 4" gash in the roof requiring thousands of dollars in repairs. I stick to the magnet for that reason. Maybe someday I'll get one of those fancy third brake light mounts.

-AD8CJ
The 2/70 is a big whip to run up there every day, something with a spring base would be just as effective at damage mitigation as a magnet mount without the need to reset. We run spring loaded Laird antennas on the cabs of our dump trucks, which see some serious abuse in the woods, and they're all fine. If I dealt with parking garages or other height restrictions on a regular basis, I'd probably do a hood mount with a 1/4 wave antenna to keep it below the roof line.

-KD1TRE

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2/70 is a big whip to run up there every day, something with a spring base would be just as effective at damage mitigation as a magnet mount without the need to reset. We run spring loaded Laird antennas on the cabs of our dump trucks, which see some serious abuse in the woods, and they're all fine. If I dealt with parking garages or other height restrictions on a regular basis, I'd probably do a hood mount with a 1/4 wave antenna to keep it below the roof line.

-KD1TRE
I run a diamond 7500a so that I can reach my home repeater basically through my entire 50+ mile each way commute, and I park in a normal garage almost every night. The diamond folds over, so I have that covered. If I could run a 1/4 wave like you said, I would probably be better off. A hood lip mount seems like it would be an ok compromise as well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase