First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I picked up my Ranger from the dealer July 29th, and the very next day I put some scrapes in the paint of the bed. I'd been expecting some scratches in the bed, but these were through the paint and down to bare metal! I hadnt thought to put anything under our fixture since it has plastic feet with felt bottoms, but apparently the plastic is enough to scrape through the paint! If it'd just been through down to primer i wouldnt be as worried, but living in the rust belt (Michigan) I'm concerned about my brand new truck rusting.

Kst80q2.jpg

This scrape is the worst, but there's scrapes on the other side of the bed too. It's about the size of a quarter.

I had been working on purchasing a Ranger for a month before hand, but timing worked out just perfectly so i was picking up my truck the day before I needed to move my college senior project from our sponsor's business to the college's engineering campus.

P9Jzazw.jpg

My truck with our project fixture loaded up. We actually had a specification that required the fixture fit in a light-duty pickup truck. The fixture ended up being 60"x43" while the bed in the ranger is 61"x44.8" (Between wheels). It just barely fit in the bed. The Fixture weighs about 800 lbs, with most of that weight at the top. We loaded it in with a hi-lo, since the fixture has caster wheels it was rolled forward into the bed.

7c51UUx.jpg

Our tiedowns.

XEIh92j.jpg

Dropping off the fixture at the engineering building.

tb4gXxC.jpg

A picture from when we picked the fixture up again to return it to our sponsor's business.
Sponsored

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Line-X spray on liner make that go away.

Be careful/enjoy.

OP
OP
Kataphrakt

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Line-X spray on liner make that go away.

Be careful/enjoy.
I got a quote from Line-X already, but it's about $500 for that. I'm mostly concerned about getting the paint sealed right now before we get to winter snow and salt.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
The paint inside the bed is very thin, sanding down my own bed for a DIY bedliner, I could easily tell the thin spots in the paint. It's ok, you'll be able to bedline it later and it isn't an instant need to do it even with the scrape and living in the rust belt.
20190705_182410.jpg

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
I put some scrapes in the paint of the bed.
Don't want to be a Monday morning quarterback but

#1. There are several links and threads (below) on this forum board that will direct you to several vendors which have the proper touch-up paint for your Ranger. You will need your exact paint code for ordering. It can be found on the driver's side door jam or in your owners manual.

BTW see the vendor for the deep scratch repair - they have the proper, quick to use, aerosol cans.;)
For your bed liner paint repair, you just need the primer, base and clear coat plus blender. You probably
could leave out the putty application.;)

#2. DIY or factory or third party spray-in bed liners are really needed if you haul a lot of supplies and materials.
The going cost is $400-$600 and is well worth it!;)

#3. A bed rug/matt also helps in protecting your truck bed. Also, try using a piece of weather treated plywood to protect your bed liner.;)

#4. Secure tie-downs and ratchet nylon strapping are needed to prevent materials from moving and scratching your Ranger and also using protective cloth moving matts helps out a lot - (Harbor Freight);)

Personally, I would never have/order/buy a truck without a protective bed liner. IMHO ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: