Talk some sense into me....although this may not be the best place for that

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
@Wheazy

Congrats! I think you're gonna be very happy with your new baby!

I'm a new owner as well and just joined the forum a week ago or so ago after purchasing. Folks seem to be really friendly here and there are quite a few "old timers" that have experience with Ford/Rangers/Trucks in general. Tons to learn and read about....at least for me anyways.

I come from a tight knit Lotus car community and without much US support we have to help each other in a respectful knowledgeable manner. This board reminds of that even tho it's not a "niche" vehicle. That's why I have settled here. Enjoy the vehicle and look forward to chatting with you on the forums!
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Hi everyone. Been lurking on here since the Gen 5 resurfaced and I've thought all along the next vehicle I purchase may very well be the Ranger. Browsing through my local dealers website this weekend, I cam across a Magnetic XLT 2wd with Sport Package for $6,000 below invoice. While I wasn't itching to make a change right now, this seems almost too good to pass up. Based on your purchase experience, does this seem like a good deal?

I went and test drove yesterday and looked over all the things I've seen here on the forums like gaps and paint defects and for the most part it looks like a solid truck. While test driving, I did notice vehicle felt a little "bumpy" or "jittery". Thought of the over inflated tires and they were sitting at 44 - 45, so that would probably explain that feeling. The other thing I noticed was the trans seemed to shift a lot and I felt every one of the shifts. Maybe it is the nature of the beast with the 10 speed, but I did see that the TSB which would not apply to this truck as it was manufactured in April. Also I currently drive a 16 F-150 2.7 EB with the six speed and overall, that is a very slick shifting unit so that could be some of it.

Dealer is being fair on my trade and after running all the numbers, It has really got me thinking.

Still trying to decide if I will move forward with the trade or not.
I went from an FX4 F-150 2.7 SuperCab to an FX4 Ranger SuperCrew. I am honestly very impressed at how smooth the 10 spd is. Occasionally, when I'd let off the gas before a turn going up a grade near my house i'd get a bump shift from 5-4 in my F-150, like it was waiting too long to down shift. It was pretty infrequent, only happened at this particular spot and never what I would consider harsh. My Ranger has made the same slight bump shift going from 4-3, same area, same circumstances, but not as noticeable. It never seems to hunt around. I didn't really get on the truck for the first 1,000-1,500 miles. The first time I really mashed the throttle it seemed "surprised/confused" a little and held gear for what seemed too long. After a few of these moderate acceleration runs it no longer does this. I think ride quality is comparable with slightly more side to side rocking on rough dirt roads, likely due to the narrower width. Straight line and/or pavement, I think it's very comparable to my F-150. I could get similar MPG out of my 2.7 and felt like it required less effort to do so. If this truck ever gets the 2.7, I think it'll be better @ real world fuel economy. We'd never go past 1/2 throttle 90% of the time with that beast. Not ripping the 2.3, but man........ that 2.7 would have been crazy in this truck !!

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Thanks for doing the test. It may be that I have a or some bad shocks, I will investigate soon. I think I will go to the dealership this weekend and bounce me some Rangers.
Did you experiment with tire pressure along with the new Kumhos? Im running the OEM Bridgestones with 34psi all the way around and it seems to have eliminated some of the wallow. I too have done the un-scientific bumper push test on my ranger and my wife's 2018 odyssey which ironically both suspensions have to contend with the same payload ratings. Before anybody says apples and oranges, I get it. The point is the odyssey barely moves and the ranger is all over the place. I imagine you will replicate your results at the dealer.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Did you experiment with tire pressure along with the new Kumhos? Im running the OEM Bridgestones with 34psi all the way around and it seems to have eliminated some of the wallow. I too have done the un-scientific bumper push test on my ranger and my wife's 2018 odyssey which ironically both suspensions have to contend with the same payload ratings. Before anybody says apples and oranges, I get it. The point is the odyssey barely moves and the ranger is all over the place. I imagine you will replicate your results at the dealer.
I did replicate the same with 6 other rangers, including the FX4. F150's were 1 to 2 rebounds better, except for the Raptors, you can't get them to bounce if you paid good money, no-mater how hard you push. I haven't lowered the air pressure in the tires, as I don't want to lower the gas mileage. I think I'll wait patiently until the aftermarket comes out with a proven (and reviewed fix), then I'll jump on that.
Sponsored