What is the hardest thing for you to do or not do with your new Ranger?

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
Hardest thing is just getting in the driver seat. Soooo much taller than my 2000. Not worry, I will make due unit I get some running boards.
I can relate. I was pretty comfortable getting into my old Sport Trac but this new Ranger definitely takes a truck sized effort to climb into, and I am not a short person either. Never have been a fan of running boards but I sure think about them when I have to haul my butt up into the truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Agreed, with it being a turbo, the moment you get into boost the MPG just completely drops. A few times at WOT and your tank MPG average is unrecoverable lol. I sometimes wish I didn't have the average MPG ratings staring at my face so that I'm not constantly looking at it.
I wonder if there's a way to switch the turbo between on and off. Probably not with the stock turbo, but WWII aircraft used to have different operation modes for the turbo, only using them at higher altitudes where the air was thinner.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if there's a way to switch the turbo between on and off. Probably not with the stock turbo, but WWII aircraft used to have different operation modes for the turbo, only using them at higher altitudes where the air was thinner.
Nah, you'd need separate routing for intake if you wanted to do that. The exhaust side of the turbo is going to spin no matter what you do so you're going to need some other intake routing to bypass the intake side of the turbo.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Nah, you'd need separate routing for intake if you wanted to do that. The exhaust side of the turbo is going to spin no matter what you do so you're going to need some other intake routing to bypass the intake side of the turbo.
Then shouldnt a bypass intake hose with a good valve on it, along with opening the turbo blow-off valve suffice?

Cant say i know much about turbos outside of the thermodynamics applications :crackup:

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I believe you are confusing Turbochargers with Superchargers. As an aircraft mechanic I am familiar with Supercharged Aircraft Radial (piston) Engines and yes at low altitude the used what was called "Low Blower" and at Altitude "High Blower." High Blower was as it implies, Full Blown use of the Supercharger to get the maximum amount of air into the engine for combustion.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Then shouldnt a bypass intake hose with a good valve on it, along with opening the turbo blow-off valve suffice?

Cant say i know much about turbos outside of the thermodynamics applications :crackup:
Well the blow-off valve is pretty tiny...but I guess a bypass hose shouldn't be too hard. But good luck getting the controls to work! haha

mransr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT Convertible
This may have already been mentioned, but finding the auto climate control temperature adjustment while driving is damn near impossible. Why didn't they but some sort of bump or something for tactile feel on those buttons?

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
I believe you are confusing Turbochargers with Superchargers. As an aircraft mechanic I am familiar with Supercharged Aircraft Radial (piston) Engines and yes at low altitude the used what was called "Low Blower" and at Altitude "High Blower." High Blower was as it implies, Full Blown use of the Supercharger to get the maximum amount of air into the engine for combustion.
Good point, those were all actual Supercharged aircraft. In particular they were the Russian ones.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
The hardest thing to do is quit talking about how great this truck is to everyone. Go ahead, ask me how I like the truck....