Livernois Tuning released

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I was just going off of Ford's usual advertised HP / TQ specs on their website that I've read on other vehicles ecoboost vehicles in the past. Often times they'll add a disclaimer at the bottom most don't see that tells you HP and TQ achieved on 93 octane. I've just checked and it does show that for the Rangers as well, but thanks for sharing that link too!

Ranger stock HP on 93oct.JPG
Interesting. Im open to either, I just posted that because it said it was a quote from Ford. Looking at the dyno charts for stock tunes it seems to line up with 87 octane meeting those numbers though (With some drivetrain loss of course) . But if guys had any data with stock tunes that could verify or disprove that.
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Interesting. Im open to either, I just posted that because it said it was a quote from Ford. Looking at the dyno charts for stock tunes it seems to line up with 87 octane meeting those numbers though (With some drivetrain loss of course) . But if guys had any data with stock tunes that could verify or disprove that.
Right on. Here's a dyno chart that shows an example of a bone stock Ranger here on the dyno on 87 octane fuel. This run it made 251 whp and 280 wtq. If memory serves one of the best runs horsepower wise it made 253 whp and 278 wtq. I also had read an article years back on the 2.3L EcoBoost in the Mustang losing power on 87 where they did some testing also that was pretty interesting to read. Either way these 2.3L turbocharged engines love premium fuel and definitely run to the best of their abilities on higher octane fuels as well.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-mustang-ecoboost-loses-big-power-87-octane

ranger baseline.jpg

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Right on. Here's a dyno chart that shows an example of a bone stock Ranger here on the dyno on 87 octane fuel. This run it made 251 whp and 280 wtq. If memory serves one of the best runs horsepower wise it made 253 whp and 278 wtq. I also had read an article years back on the 2.3L EcoBoost in the Mustang losing power on 87 where they did some testing also that was pretty interesting to read. Either way these 2.3L turbocharged engines love premium fuel and definitely run to the best of their abilities on higher octane fuels as well.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-mustang-ecoboost-loses-big-power-87-octane

ranger baseline.jpg
Really appreciate the follow-up! So based on your experience do these 87 numbers seem right with claimed hp/tq from Ford minus driveline loss? Or did they spec it with premium?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
No worries, we're always happy to help out! The Mycal tuners are sent without tunes since we need to get the stock ECU codes from your vehicle to set up the corresponding tune files for your stock strategy. So you would pull the codes up and email us to request your tunes. Currently we have tunes for 87-89 and 91-93 octane fuels as well and offer them with the auto start stop disabled or left enabled. The Mycal tuners include free lifetime tune support and we've not actually hit a limit yet on how many tunes they can hold. But it's estimated between 10 and 20 tunes can be stored in the device depending on the vehicle / file size.

We really don't advertise fuel mileage improvements since there are so many variables including how people drive the vehicles. But average customer feedback wise we see people telling us they often times see 1-2 MPG increase and some even claim more with additional performance modifications. Here's a link to one of our customer's posts on here saying he's picked up some MPG that he lost when going to larger tires that is a great example.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/gas-milage-with-lift.3648/
Can you elaborate on the advantages Livernois tune over 5Star?

Smitty908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm in for a LMS Tune! I think you mentioned the tune changes the top speed limiter as well? Do you know what is factory / vs what the tune changes it to?

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Really appreciate the follow-up! So based on your experience do these 87 numbers seem right with claimed hp/tq from Ford minus driveline loss? Or did they spec it with premium?
No problem, happy to help out!

It's odd because the website says "Horsepower and torque ratings achieved with 93-octane fuel" under the disclaimers. And that has always held true on the Ecoboost models including the Mustang, SHO, Explorer and F-150 for example. But going off of the base line dyno runs we've done here which I was told were done on 87 say otherwise in my opinion. Either way it seems like they have underrated them which I've also witnessed here on our chassis dynos recently with the new Toyota Supra surprisingly. (Car and Driver brought one to do baseline dyno pulls for an article )

But going off of the numbers that article you shared that was showing bone stock with 93 Premium and comparing our baseline 87 octane pulls it's looking like they did release 87 octane factory HP and TQ specs even though the disclaimer says 93. Most RWD vehicles lose anywhere from 10-18% drivetrain loss on average which would make sense seeing around 250 rear wheel HP and 275-280 RWTQ here on the dyno.

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
I'm in for a LMS Tune! I think you mentioned the tune changes the top speed limiter as well? Do you know what is factory / vs what the tune changes it to?
We do typically raise the top speed limits on most vehicles including the Ranger as well. Stock most newer Ford trucks are speed limited around 100-105 MPH on average. So our tune would definitely help out with that!

Like, does the Mycalibrator display OBDII data like the SCT unit does?
Yes the Mycalibrator Touch does offer both data-logging and has a live gauges feature as well. The gauge option can show up to 6 different parameters on the display at the same time so you can monitor things while driving. We are continuously adding new / improved features and gauges so there's not a set list at this time. But you can view a long list of different PIDs including things like coolant / cylinder head temps, catalyst temps, short / long term fuel trims, Lambda, MAP sensor readings for boost, knock sensor readings, etc.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
We do typically raise the top speed limits on most vehicles including the Ranger as well. Stock most newer Ford trucks are speed limited around 100-105 MPH on average. So our tune would definitely help out with that!

Yes the Mycalibrator Touch does offer both data-logging and has a live gauges feature as well. The gauge option can show up to 6 different parameters on the display at the same time so you can monitor things while driving. We are continuously adding new / improved features and gauges so there's not a set list at this time. But you can view a long list of different PIDs including things like coolant / cylinder head temps, catalyst temps, short / long term fuel trims, Lambda, MAP sensor readings for boost, knock sensor readings, etc.
Thanks. You might want to show that on your web site.

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Thanks. You might want to show that on your web site.
Thanks for the tip Jerry. I've just pulled up the Ranger tuner listing on our website and it does mention you can view and record live data. But wouldn't hurt to have a bit more detail to catch people's attention. I will be sure to mention this to the website team here, thanks again!

Stock is limited to 100mph
Thanks for the clarification on this. I knew it was right around 100 typically. Thankfully our tune will help with that.

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, Lightning Blue, 302a, Technology Package, Sport Appearance Package, Bed liner, Tow package
Occupation
Control Systems Engineer
Thanks for the tip Jerry. I've just pulled up the Ranger tuner listing on our website and it does mention you can view and record live data. But wouldn't hurt to have a bit more detail to catch people's attention. I will be sure to mention this to the website team here, thanks again!

Thanks for the clarification on this. I knew it was right around 100 typically. Thankfully our tune will help with that.
I'm pretty sure it's at least 110, as I hit at least 110 passing 4 slow vehicles on a highway last weekend coming back through Wyoming from mt Rushmore.

Fredness

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Mustang
Speed limits are based off the VSS input, so tire size and inflation will vary your individual results.
:thumbsup:

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Around 25 years ago we used to have 92 but that went away like common sense in this state.
So true! One of the big reasons we are moving out.
Heading for the Keys! Yeah Baby
Sponsored