Ranger Raptor paddle shifters on US Ranger?

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
I'm wondering if anyone has had the same dream of having paddle shifters on the Ranger to make offroading and long hill descents more engaging. I have no idea if this is possible or what it would entail and wanted to ask the group!
Sponsored

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have the paddle shifters, I have them on all my other cars and enjoy the drive much more.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would certainly like paddle shift capability more than clicking the gear shift....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
Been thinking on this, likely, would have to find a ranger raptor wheel from another market and have it shipped here... or maybe the f150 raptor's wheel might be able to be adapted to our trucks... Anyone with any knowhow on the wiring on these trucks would be really helpful here!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Would take in a heart beat but would enjoy more a responsive gear box for faster shifts. Paddle shifters with slow shifting is almost useless. Button shifting on stick is so old.
At least design it so the whole stick is moved forward and reversed for shifting.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Been thinking on this, likely, would have to find a ranger raptor wheel from another market and have it shipped here... or maybe the f150 raptor's wheel might be able to be adapted to our trucks... Anyone with any knowhow on the wiring on these trucks would be really helpful here!
First thing I would investigate is the number of slip rings between the two steering wheels. If it is an additional slip ring, the a new turn signal switch and wiring would be required. .If it is a multiplexed signal, there would need to be an adaption to the powertrain module or a jumper maybe...Reflash of the processor maybe...hopefully someone inside of Ford Performance can pull together a package for a DIY upgrade to Raptor and market in the Ford Performance catalog.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Paddle shifters would be freaking AWESOME !!!! :rockon:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Would take in a heart beat but would enjoy more a responsive gear box for faster shifts. Paddle shifters with slow shifting is almost useless. Button shifting on stick is so old.
At least design it so the whole stick is moved forward and reversed for shifting.
Be happy your Ranger transmission shifts so quickly and smoothly. The 3rd gen Tacoma has "S mode" shifting where you move the lever forward to upshift and backward to downshift, but it is insanely slow. It takes damn near a full second for the thing to think and finally decide it will accept your shift command and change gears. The Ford 10 speed is a beautiful thing.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Be happy your Ranger transmission shifts so quickly and smoothly. The 3rd gen Tacoma has "S mode" shifting where you move the lever forward to upshift and backward to downshift, but it is insanely slow. It takes damn near a full second for the thing to think and finally decide it will accept your shift command and change gears. The Ford 10 speed is a beautiful thing.
Drive a VW GTI DSG transmission.
Porsche PDK shift speeds.

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Drive a VW GTI DSG transmission.
Porsche PDK shift speeds.
A true sequential manual gearbox is a completely different animal. I was comparing vehicles in the exact same segment to help point out the fact that Ford's 10 speed auto is so far above and beyond everything else in the segment, that it is laughable.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
A true sequential manual gearbox is a completely different animal. I was comparing vehicles in the exact same segment to help point out the fact that Ford's 10 speed auto is so far above and beyond everything else in the segment, that it is laughable.
Not only that, you are comparing sports cars to a truck, which really isn't a valid comparison.

I think the 10 speed is a work of art - quite a feat of engineering.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Agree.
Not dumping on the 10 speed.
Like my truck much.
Just with paddles and a matching trans it sure would by fun!

OP
OP

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
I'm not super concerned in speed of shifting, this has been the best auto I've ever owned, However I do a lot of driving down steep grades and the shift buttons on the selector feel really far away and weird compared to the manual in my other car. Just want to separate the experiences even more.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Not only that, you are comparing sports cars to a truck, which really isn't a valid comparison.

I think the 10 speed is a work of art - quite a feat of engineering.
Only reason I set higher expectations for the 10 speed is that it is used in the Ford Mustang GT. Understand they might be programmed different but a truck with sport mode could match the GT program, “if it is better”. Talking about shift rates, not sports car HP.

In some sports cars the normal mode setting can shift normal. But when in sport it picks up the shift speed. The Ranger also does this, just wonder if it could be better. Could it match a GT, which I have never tested? Maybe the GT is not as good as I would imagine.

Maybe a TCU tune is needed.

Only thing I will disagree with is that 10 speeds are not needed. Even the trans skips them most of the time. Just let me block out a few and turn all on only for towing.

Nicolas50

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger wildtrack
I have a ranger raptor in France, ( diesel engine ) in sport mode i don't need to use the paddles, all work nice for a truck !
I only use for off road in difficulties and lauching my boat.
Sponsored