Transmission thump when going from Reverse to Drive

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Does anyone else have a inconsistent thump when going from Reverse to Drive when first starting the truck? Sometimes it is normal but every once in a while it thumps and the truck jumps a little. I have tried to stop and wait a little before going into drive and also tried just normal amount of wait time. It still inconsistently thumps about one out of 10 times I pull out of my driveway....My truck was built in April of 2019. Thanks, Chuck
Sponsored

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does something similar. Has your truck had the programming update?

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Does anyone else have a inconsistent thump when going from Reverse to Drive when first starting the truck? Sometimes it is normal but every once in a while it thumps and the truck jumps a little. I have tried to stop and wait a little before going into drive and also tried just normal amount of wait time. It still inconsistently thumps about one out of 10 times I pull out of my driveway....My truck was built in April of 2019. Thanks, Chuck
Hey Chuck,

I've had this happen too. Not for about a week now tho.
But I am taking the truck into the dealer for a checkup tomorrow.

I've noted my symptoms in another thread.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/smooth-braking-brake-modulation.3605/

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I called the dealer and they said no recalls on that truck, and I read somewhere that the update was for older truck built before 2019. I could be wrong...
BIG difference in recall and TSB. You need to bring the TSB number with you and give to the service manager.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Good luck. Mine was built in March. This is at least the 3rd thread this has been mentioned. Mine will occasionally clunk going in reverse or forward. Very inconsistent. Doesn't matter if the truck is warm (been running/driven for 5+ minutes) or cold. Doesn't matter how I put in to reverse. Doesn't matter how I put it into drive. 0 rhyme or reason. Can't be good on the driveline. I have to bring mine in for a passenger seat safety belt recall so I'll at least mention it, but given how apathetic the service manager was towards fixing a couple things (I ended up fixing one of them) when I bought my truck, I'm not expecting much of a result.

OP
OP
chuck schulien
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Good luck. Mine was built in March. This is at least the 3rd thread this has been mentioned. Mine will occasionally clunk going in reverse or forward. Very inconsistent. Doesn't matter if the truck is warm (been running/driven for 5+ minutes) or cold. Doesn't matter how I put in to reverse. Doesn't matter how I put it into drive. 0 rhyme or reason. Can't be good on the driveline. I have to bring mine in for a passenger seat safety belt recall so I'll at least mention it, but given how apathetic the service manager was towards fixing a couple things (I ended up fixing one of them) when I bought my truck, I'm not expecting much of a result.
Thanks for the comments. I agree the service writer said not sure we will be able to do anything for it.... Kinda Lame, This is my first Ford hope it is not my last one.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I've had my ranger for about a month now, had one instance of tranmission clunking when shifting, but that was when i was in 4L in an offroad environment. I have probably about 2-3 times outside of that noticed much quieter clunking during a shift from reverse to drive or vice-versa.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Thanks for the comments. I agree the service writer said not sure we will be able to do anything for it.... Kinda Lame, This is my first Ford hope it is not my last one.
Brought my Ranger in for the safety recall and also brought up the shifting issue with the service manager. As was expected, there is nothing they can do since there is no way to consistently get the transmission to clunk when shifting into drive or neutral.

I told him I didn't expect them to spend time analyzing a condition that has thus far been very random. He said to be sure and bring it in if the condition happens more often or can be reliably reproduced.

This was more of wanting to engage the service manager and get off on the right foot. Get on a first name basis. Seemed like a decent guy so hopefully that pays dividends later on.

The truck is under warranty and actually has a lifetime drivetrain dealership warranty and the extended warranty so not worried about it.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Im hearing a consistent “thump” or knock when shifting from D to R and visa versa, while holding the brake pedal. It happens every time, unless I dwell in N and the truck free rolls a bit, then put into gear, and in this case the noise appears when I apply the brakes, as the truck is lurching up to stop. So it may be the spline on the driveshaft causing this. Im having no other transmission issues as of yet.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im hearing a consistent “thump” or knock when shifting from D to R and visa versa, while holding the brake pedal. It happens every time, unless I dwell in N and the truck free rolls a bit, then put into gear, and in this case the noise appears when I apply the brakes, as the truck is lurching up to stop. So it may be the spline on the driveshaft causing this. Im having no other transmission issues as of yet.
Have someone watch the center bearing while you are going from D to R... Set the parking brake and make the person keeps his head back from the wheels just in case... The source of the clunk should be fairly easy to locate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have someone watch the center bearing while you are going from D to R... Set the parking brake and make the person keeps his head back from the wheels just in case... The source of the clunk should be fairly easy to locate.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That is going to be my next step, Thanks Phil!! I will post my findings.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took a video of the rear diff & bearing block, it seems as if the noise is emanating from the rear diff, I put my hand on it and also felt the clunk. It seems that its almost meshing the gears like a servo would. I do have the locker as well, so not sure if this is isolated to these types of differentials. Feel free to give your opinions.
I attached a dropbox link due to file size.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t94ieuihxh3cy9j/Video Apr 22, 6 44 35 PM.mov?dl=0
Sponsored