License Plate Screws Rub When Opening Tailgate

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
One thing I dont see.. My service manager had my rear plate frame [the dealership furnished one] removed b/c with it the screws extend super close to the inside lip of tail gate. In doing so the paint may get scratched off, Probably something I would have never noticed [until it rusted out]. That's the stuff I appreciate! Does not look like a TSB yet so it may not be on the radar at FoMoCo...

I'd advise all you guys [and girls] to take a look at yours.
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I dont see.. My service manager had my rear plate frame [the dealership furnished one] removed b/c with it the screws extend super close to the inside lip of tail gate. In doing so the paint may get scratched off, Probably something I would have never noticed [until it rusted out]. That's the stuff I appreciate! Does not look like a TSB yet so it may not be on the radar at FoMoCo...

We've talked about this earlier in another thread, there are some that the frame rubbed against the tailgate when open too cause they were so thick.

OP
OP
NickTheEnforcer

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
We've talked about this earlier in another thread, there are some that the frame rubbed against the tailgate when open too cause they were so thick.
Well just went to Ace Hardware b/c they still have screw 'bins'. They had two full of assorted lisc plate screws, I found a low-profile head that basically doubles the clearance. Spent a whopping $1.89 for [4]...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Well just went to Ace Hardware b/c they still have screw 'bins'. They had two full of assorted lisc plate screws, I found a low-profile head that basically doubles the clearance. Spent a whopping $1.89 for [4]...
Photo?

OP
OP
NickTheEnforcer

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

I detected the same issue and removed the frame.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The tailgate is aluminum so rust is not an issue. I wouldn't want it scratched but there won't be rust.

OP
OP
NickTheEnforcer

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Last edited:

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
alum does corrode though, white chaulky mess. just as bad as rust..
In Northern climates, it's a good idea to replace the dealer supplied generic steel screws with stainless hardware to avoid the aluminum license plate causing the fasteners to rust.
Sponsored