Former Tacoma Owners Club

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a 17 Taco TRD OR 4x4 Access cab when I traded my 1999 Ranger. If I had gotten a 4 Door Sport I'd probably still have it. The TRD OR is a true off road truck and not a great Mall cruiser. Since my needs were more highway and errand running I bought a Ranger Lariat Super crew 4x2 and love everything about it! I miss the soft opening tailgate of the TACO but a Damper should be available soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had a 2014 Tacoma Off-Road and it was a great truck, but I like my Ranger waaaay more. Seem pretty equal off-road so far, which is a good thing . The 'GEN 3' Tacoma was never on my radar...swing and a miss for Toyota IMO.

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
I had a chance to look at a used, dealer upgraded XLT with a leveling kit, bigger tires, katzkin leather, Raptor grill, and a few other goodies. I looked nice AF, but it was a regular 4x4 with no locker and no nav. The guy bought it with dealer upgrades, then decided he wanted a different one (allegedly) so he traded it for another ranger. I was SO tempted to see if there was any way to magic the numbers so I could trade my '19 Tacoma TRD Off Road for that one while keeping similar payments.

My biggest hangup is the lack of FX4, and the vacuum leak they claim was caused by a botched CAI install. Still torn on whether I should go back to talk numbers, or wait till my lease is up. The impulsive side of me really wants a ranger with free dealer upgrades (they aren't included in the price since the dealer was already paid once for them), but the logical side of me says it's the first year of the US model, and it's not likely that they can make the numbers work, even with as good as the taco holds its value.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I had a chance to look at a used, dealer upgraded XLT with a leveling kit, bigger tires, katzkin leather, Raptor grill, and a few other goodies. I looked nice AF, but it was a regular 4x4 with no locker and no nav. The guy bought it with dealer upgrades, then decided he wanted a different one (allegedly) so he traded it for another ranger. I was SO tempted to see if there was any way to magic the numbers so I could trade my '19 Tacoma TRD Off Road for that one while keeping similar payments.

My biggest hangup is the lack of FX4, and the vacuum leak they claim was caused by a botched CAI install. Still torn on whether I should go back to talk numbers, or wait till my lease is up. The impulsive side of me really wants a ranger with free dealer upgrades (they aren't included in the price since the dealer was already paid once for them), but the logical side of me says it's the first year of the US model, and it's not likely that they can make the numbers work, even with as good as the taco holds its value.
Depending on your dealer, you might be surprised at the numbers. I was able to trade in my '17 TRD Pro Tacoma on a 19 Ranger Lariat, FX4, and financed through Ford Credit at 0% which ended up dropping my payment by $100/month. It's worth a shot to sit down and talk numbers to see what happens.

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
Depending on your dealer, you might be surprised at the numbers. I was able to trade in my '17 TRD Pro Tacoma on a 19 Ranger Lariat, FX4, and financed through Ford Credit at 0% which ended up dropping my payment by $100/month. It's worth a shot to sit down and talk numbers to see what happens.
That's another thing. I'm concerned Ford Credit might be mad at me. I turned my '17 Fusion Sport in early, and had 1k left to pay. I was a little slow in doing so because I had to pay the vet to murder my Rotty. When I got on the site to pay what I could, it showed a $0 balance. No idea what happened to the $1k I owed, but I suspect it might be chilling with a creditor somewhere.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
17 Tacoma access cab 2.7 auto utility 4x4 GREAT truck. but my mrs and I decided to go double cab,So all brands got a look. Nissan, nope she didn't like looks. gm canyon nope, I didn't like looks. ! full sizers where all to dam big !! tested a sr5 v6 and the ranger .the FORD won me over right at test ride! only thing Toyota had going for it was Toyota reliability name sake ! hell I wouldn't be able to own the sr5 after driving the ranger I enjoyed the ford that much(.I dont know how anyone who drives both can say the Toyota drives better or is more compy or faster or smoother or has better driver visibility or handling)EVEN THE PAINT ON HE FORD IS NICE !!dam yoda paint was chipped all to hell already!!

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I have a '13 Tacoma and a '19 Ranger. I love the Gen2 a lot. Had an '06 that we'd still be driving if I hadn't totaled it. I looked long and hard at both used and new trucks. The Gen3 seemed like a downgrade with the powerplant onboard. I don't like the GM twins and the and the Frontier and Ridgeline were non-players. Gen2s are $28k for a used 4x4 with 50000+ miles on it here, and as much as I love them, they are quite dated at this point.

I love my Ranger, and plan on keeping it for a LOOOOONGGGGGG time!

*Edit* Also, the modability of the Ranger helped draw me in. Getting any kind of serious performance boosts out of a Tacoma is nigh impossible for anything less than a few thousand.

Last edited:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
Have an acquaintance that has a loaded 2019 Tacoma, stopped to visit with him the other day, he was was telling me how much he hated his truck. I told him how much I liked my Ranger, He was obviously unimpressed when I told him, it had a 4 cylinder. I gave him a ride in my Ranger, we hadnā€™t gone 1/2 a block till he was all smiles. He then drove it, more smiles. He loved it, couldnā€™t stop raving about it. He gave me a ride in the Tacoma, when we got back. After that ride I can tell you, had I bought a Tacoma, then rode in a Ranger, I would be seriously pissed! Oh and the Tacoma owner, told be he would be buying a Ranger.

gpsdualsport

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL ExtraCab 2WD
Every 22 years I buy a new truck even if I don't need it. In 1997 I bought a 98' Tacoma SR5 Ext. Cab 2WD in baby poop brown with the 2.4L and automatic. I never respected that truck like I should, just did oil changes, air filters and replaced tires when they wore out. Last year the truck got major attention, by my standards at least, with a fuel filter, new starter and new front brake rotors. Hey, after 188,000 miles it was due.
Before buying my Ranger I considered the GM twins Colorado/Canyon. The class action law suit over the 6 speed automatic transmission ended that thought.
The new Tacoma just didn't fit me. The low roof is just a joke and I'm only 5' 10" tall. The price of Toyota reliability did not justify the lack features compared to the GM and Ford trucks.
I did drive a Nissan Frontier and discovered how little they have improved in the last 20 years. My 20 year old Taco drove better than the Frontier.
The Ranger with the 10 speed automatic, the 101A option group that gave me cruise control and power side mirrors and 0% Ford Credit loan sealed the deal for me.
The first change needed on the Range is lower the rear suspension to get rid of the stink bug look and make it easier to load my dirt bike in the back.

erhoth

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ok, so I owned a 2016 Tacoma Off Road double cab since new. I put 95K miles on it. It had two different ECU flashes from the dealership during my time with it for the shifting issues. To avoid a novel, let me simply surmise that Toyota missed that target with the engine-tranny combination in their vehicle. The erratic shifting was awful. The headroom in the cab was awful and I am only 5'10". Drum brakes on the rear, no power seat causing minimal headroom, so-so mpg's, sub par AC, all contributed to me looking at the Ranger. Any larger or heavier tire also killed the Tacoma's performance. I appreciated the Toyota quality but come on.... too many issues. The Ranger is more comfortable to drive, gets way better mpg, has more get up and go, less body roll, tows more, handles better, disc brakes all around, etc, etc. I traded in the taco and could not be happier. My daily commute in the taco got me 19 to 20 mpg and the same drive in the Ranger, 24 to 25 mpg. So I suppose I am a former Toyota owner that believes made the best decision by trading up to a Ranger and am beyond pleased, even relieved, about it! Way to go Ford!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ok, so I owned a 2016 Tacoma Off Road double cab since new. I put 95K miles on it. It had two different ECU flashes from the dealership during my time with it for the shifting issues. To avoid a novel, let me simply surmise that Toyota missed that target with the engine-tranny combination in their vehicle. The erratic shifting was awful. The headroom in the cab was awful and I am only 5'10". Drum brakes on the rear, no power seat causing minimal headroom, so-so mpg's, sub par AC, all contributed to me looking at the Ranger. Any larger or heavier tire also killed the Tacoma's performance. I appreciated the Toyota quality but come on.... too many issues. The Ranger is more comfortable to drive, gets way better mpg, has more get up and go, less body roll, tows more, handles better, disc brakes all around, etc, etc. I traded in the taco and could not be happier. My daily commute in the taco got me 19 to 20 mpg and the same drive in the Ranger, 24 to 25 mpg. So I suppose I am a former Toyota owner that believes made the best decision by trading up to a Ranger and am beyond pleased, even relieved, about it! Way to go Ford!

I had all the same issues with my 2016 Tacoma as you and have not regretted my decision to dump that TuRD one bit! I was never really happy with it until the day I sold it. Still can't get rid of this smile every time I drive my Ranger! :) I'm already getting the same mpg as my Tacoma with only 570 miles on my Ranger so I'm sure it will get better with break in. Welcome to the dark side. :bandit:

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So back on to owning Tacomaā€™s previously... I only owned 1 about 10-15 years ago, it was a ā€˜99 PreRunner Single Cab 2.7 Auto. I had mixed opinions of the truck, on the plus side it had good power (for a 4cyl at the time) good mileage and I never got is stuck despite only being 2wd. However it did have some major drawbacks, stiff ride, uncomfortable cab and the slight issue of the frame breaking in half on the driver side rail while I was about to swap brakes.
To Toyotaā€™s credit they did stand behind their product and bought back my Tacoma for 1.5X KBB Value in excellent condition. This was an absolute win for me as I only paid $5500 for the truck, got wrecked into and paid 2x never made any repairs to the truck and cashed a $13k check from Toyota for it. But never again will I buy another Toyota truck, Iā€™ve owned 2 full size GMs and now on my 3rd Ranger since then and Iā€™m completely sold on Rangers for a small truck.

Also I never had a tailgate damper until my last Silverado and I will say I miss it terribly on the Ranger. Like was previously mentioned itā€™s one of those things that you donā€™t know what your missing until you got it, and you donā€™t realize how much you like it until you donā€™t have it

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Just thought ide bump this up to show tacomaworld how much of us are regretting getting rid of their Tacoma for a ranger
I went back on TW a few weeks ago just to stir the pot. Yea it's childish but it's fun to see them get so riled up. :LOL:
Sponsored