Not sure if this is an actual defect or just how the truck sounds.

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

It has started to cool off here a bit, and so I have been driving with my windows down and noticed something quite peculiar with the sound my truck makes. When I let off the gas, I get a high pitched "whine" kinda sound coming from somewhere in the truck. It primarily happens when I left off the gas, and its basically inaudible when the windows are up (you can still hear it, but only just barely). Just to be clear, there is virtually no abnormal sound when I accelerate, but the sound comes in when I take the foot off the gas. The truck, otherwise, seems to be running fine. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
That's the sound of the turbo my man. When you let off the gas, the turbo slows down and you hear it changing speed. If you listen closely, you'll hear it spooling up when you're on the gas as well. Welcome to Ecoboost!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi all,

It has started to cool off here a bit, and so I have been driving with my windows down and noticed something quite peculiar with the sound my truck makes. When I let off the gas, I get a high pitched "whine" kinda sound coming from somewhere in the truck. It primarily happens when I left off the gas, and its basically inaudible when the windows are up (you can still hear it, but only just barely). Just to be clear, there is virtually no abnormal sound when I accelerate, but the sound comes in when I take the foot off the gas. The truck, otherwise, seems to be running fine. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks!
Lay your foot into the pedal and you'll hear it too. Might not be good for your mpg's but it'll put a smile on your face. :LOL:

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Lay your foot into the pedal and you'll hear it too. Might not be good for your mpg's but it'll put a smile on your face. :LOL:
Ah, yes. I probably did not hear it before because I honestly drive like a grandmother. I was on the highway today and was doing 55 the entire time :/

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It could also be the tranny, it's mentioned somewhere in this forum that it's normal for these 10 speeds to have a whine.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but we've had the new Ranger for a week now and I also notice a sound that occurs on letting up off the accelerator, though I would describe it as more of a hiss or whistle than a whine. It lasts for about a second or two and then stops. It's noticeable mostly at lower speeds when the windows are down. It also seems to only occur if the car is in gear -- if I rev up the engine with the transmission in park and then let up, I don't seem to hear it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but we've had the new Ranger for a week now and I also notice a sound that occurs on letting up off the accelerator, though I would describe it as more of a hiss or whistle than a whine. It lasts for about a second or two and then stops. It's noticeable mostly at lower speeds when the windows are down. It also seems to only occur if the car is in gear -- if I rev up the engine with the transmission in park and then let up, I don't seem to hear it.
It's turbo spool. The engine needs to be under load for the turbo to spool, so you wouldn't hear it in neutral or park. Ford goes to great lengths to keep you from hearing that noise, so it should be very subtle, and almost not noticeable with the windows up.

jjaneba

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I upgrade components to make that noise louder! That noise is your turbo.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
It's turbo spool. The engine needs to be under load for the turbo to spool, so you wouldn't hear it in neutral or park. Ford goes to great lengths to keep you from hearing that noise, so it should be very subtle, and almost not noticeable with the windows up.
I am shocked how quiet my Ranger is. I do not hear any road or engine when the windows are up. The quietest vehicle I have ever owned. And no, I did not add an engine cover.

Thinking of a magnaflow cat back addition to make it less boring when driving.......

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My first thought was the turbo as well, as is almost everyone's, but I think it might not be the case for this. I did some more testing and it is 100% correlated with transmission shifts. There is no noise if the transmission is forced into a single gear and then the truck is accelerated/decelerated, even though the engine is under load.

Once I started to widen the search beyond just Rangers, more things have turned up. Turns out it's not an uncommon complaint with 10-speed F150s, and many have observed the relationship with transmission shifts. There are a number of things that can cause a whistling/hissing/squealing sounds in addition to turbo spooling or BOV, including TB issues, vacuum leaks, etc., but the transmission (hydraulics, pumps, etc.) can apparently make this type of noise as well. Here's a good discussion of it including recordings:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018...on-low-speed-gear-change-squeal-video-428781/

This doesn't mean that some people aren't hearing noises that *are* due to the turbo or TB, etc., just that not all similar noises are due to those.

In any case, while it seems to vary in degree from one vehicle to the next, it's not uncommon and can probably be ignored. I agree that overall the truck is very quiet, including low road noise, and a blast to drive, and so far we're loving it for the week we've had it. If this is the only "problem" that turns up, I'll be pretty happy. I actually wouldn't mind hearing the turbo a bit, but Ford did do a good job of keeping that one under control.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
There was a TSB for a gear whining noise, could be related.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
There was a TSB for a gear whining noise, could be related.
I believe that TSB just said that some degree of whine was characteristic of the 10 speed transmission - no problem, just stating a fact that whine was normal.
Sponsored