Painting or Vinyl Wrapping the Front Bumper Valence?

OP
OP
gfitzge2

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
By the way. Notice that the service manual said to discard the clips. You can see in the photo that they are somewhat damaged in the process of removing the part, however I have just pushed the little tabs back in place and re used them when I didn't have replacements on hand. Be sure to push the tab back in place or the tab that goes in there will be blocked and be damaged if you try to force it in.
Sponsored

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
The hardest part is the clips that hold the part in place you pull straight out on the part with a fair amount of force, and they pop out. Start at one end and work to the other.

Valence clip.jpg
I got to that point but was reluctant to pull with any more force. Guess I gave up too soon. Was thinking there was a way to remove those metal clips from the back side.

Thanks for the follow-up and additional pictures!

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
You can reuse the clips if you bend the tabs back in place

20190630_132013.jpg

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I got to that point but was reluctant to pull with any more force. Guess I gave up too soon. Was thinking there was a way to remove those metal clips from the back side.

Thanks for the follow-up and additional pictures!
If you take a needle nose pliers on those two tabs and push from the back side with your fingers the clip comes right out

20190630_142440.jpg

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
After looking a bit and wondering if I could do this with just a roll of film, I'm thinking of purchasing this for the front of my truck:

https://carprotectionpros.com/2019-ford-ranger-xlt-lariat-3m-clear-bra-deluxe-paint-protection-kit

And depending on how that goes, then potentially buying 18" of clear bra here for the middle of the sides of the truck:

https://www.ebay.com/str/dallasautoshield/3M-Scotchgard-Pro-Series-18/_i.html?_storecat=30210631018

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking that the front will be a lot easier with it precut - the sides seem relatively easy - not too many contours to deal with.

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint your sensors as well?
Yes. Painted with just one light coat, but not the rubber grommet. Works perfectly fine.

Tony Giordano

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone painted their sport front valence to the magnetic color to match their magnetic ranger? I am not a huge fan of the light grey valence. Also would paint the sensors the same color. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 2.40.18 PM.png

OP
OP
gfitzge2

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I posted previously but since this has gotten so long, I plasti-dipped my front valance without evening removing it. The only reason to really remove is if you want to swap out sensors. I can report after a few months of wear and tear, pressure washes, and hot sun the plasti-dip still looks great. I am sure Line-X is a bit more durable for off-road but given that would cost +/- $150 bucks I think the $10 buck plasti-dip option is the way to go.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I posted previously but since this has gotten so long, I plasti-dipped my front valance without evening removing it. The only reason to really remove is if you want to swap out sensors. I can report after a few months of wear and tear, pressure washes, and hot sun the plasti-dip still looks great. I am sure Line-X is a bit more durable for off-road but given that would cost +/- $150 bucks I think the $10 buck plasti-dip option is the way to go.
Same here. Plasti-dipped the valance by just taping it off and very happy with it. Has held up well so far. Already had the paint, so no cost

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I saw somewhere that if you paint the sensors it will screw them up.
Not true.. there's already paint on them. Just do a light coat. They work just fine.
Sponsored