Who's Ordering a 2020 Ranger? What Changes Will It Get?

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I don't think they will change to the 2.7 & I will be pissed if they do. They have to know that a lot of people would be upset about that & it's really not needed anyways, the 2.3 is just fine.

I could see a V6 normally aspirated being offered. To me that makes sense.....yes, the ecoboost is great but a lot of people are still scared of turbos. I believe 2019 sales would've been substantially better if they offered a V6.
I don’t think Ford will move to a NA V6 - they’ve already moved away from it in too many vehicles and none that currently have it have the 10 speed transmission. I can’t see that being the case.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fast40s

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2013 Explorer Limited, 2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2
Occupation
Engineer
I’m going to order a 4x2 MY20 SuperCrew Lariat 501a Saber Sport with a desired circa March 1dealer delivery date. Disappointed Hot Pepper Red is going away but hopeful a power sliding rear window is added.

I hate to say it to all those 2.7 EB hopefuls out there but I see no chance of that engine option happening in 2020.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I think Ford won’t move to a NA V6 - they’ve already moved away from it in too many vehicles and none that currently have it have the 10 speed transmission. I can’t see that being the case.
You're probably right but if they did my dealer wouldn't be overloaded with Rangers right now. People in my area would eat this thing up if it had a 3.3 similar to the F150 but I still would've gone with the 2.3 ecoboost.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any major update won’t happen in the current gen, they’ve got to keep those jewels for the new gen; they’re already in enough vehicles that they don’t need to do further testing.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're probably right but if they did my dealer wouldn't be overloaded with Rangers right now. People in my area would eat this thing up if it had a 3.3 similar to the F150 but I still would've gone with the 2.3 ecoboost.
Yeah, I get the argument, but Ford has already shown they don’t really give a care about it. They have Ecoboosts in nearly every vehicle they have as standard or an option - they’re only going to continue that trend. They are definitely committed and I can’t blame them, they’ve put out a great product; I’ve had an Ecoboost since 2013 and have had zero complaints.

Last edited:

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yeah, I get the argument, but Ford has already shown they don’t really give a car about it. They have Ecoboosts in nearly every vehicle they have as standard or an option - they’re only going to continue that trend. They are defintely committed and I can’t blame them, they’ve put out a great product; I’ve had an Ecoboost since 2013 and have had zero complaints.
I agree 100% I just wish people around here would get it....I'm like the lone ranger in my town.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 100% I just wish people around here would get it....I'm like the lone ranger in my town.
Tell people to test drive one. That might make a believer out of them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's all it took for me. Two weeks after test driving one and endless reading on this board and I was sold,it was in my garage. I was going to wait for the '20's to come out but I didn't feel they were going to make any significant changes for a while. My local dealer had the exact truck I would've ordered anyways and the 0% financing made this a no brainer. So far this truck had exceeded my expectations ten folds!

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It's not the performance that scares them it's the same old bull....turbos don't last, more moving parts, good luck if you get 100,000 miles, etc.
I obviously don't agree but that's the mentality here. While I do agree with Hack_Actual & I like the direction Ford is going, the only way Ford will sway Tacoma & Colorado owners in these parts is by giving them something they are use to.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the performance that scares them it's the same old bull....turbos don't last, more moving parts, good luck if you get 100,000 miles, etc.
I obviously don't agree but that's the mentality here. While I do agree with Hack_Actual & I like the direction Ford is going, the only way Ford will sway Tacoma & Colorado owners in these parts is by giving them something they are use to.
That is too bad - I must say when the EcoBoost first came out I was highly skeptical as well, but they have really proven themselves. The engines consistently amaze me, and they have proven to hold up over time. There are isolated incidents of engines that haven't lasted, but those are certainly not the norm. You can find outliers in any vehicle.

Engine technology has advanced quite a long ways from the early days of turbos. I have a friend who has an F-150 - he came from a full size Suburban. He has a rather large travel trailer and he says the 3.5 EB tows his trailer better than the big block Suburban did. That right there says a lot about how capable these engines are. He is 5 years into his truck and has had zero issues - he loves it. I know that is anecdotal evidence, but there is a lot of it out there.

It is sad people can't inform themselves about modern engine technology.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
People had the same issues going from horse drawn carriages to those horseless ones.... lol.. dang new fangled technology, it will never take off.
:giggle:

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma and GM mid-size truck owners will start to take notice the more Rangers hit the street and the more of them that join the overloading community. Tacoma owners, rumors have it, may get a shock to their proverbial system when Toyota rolls out their next gen by way of new engine and transmission. Some "in the know" in the overland community have been saying that Tacoma is going to put out a turbo'd 4-cyl to compete, increase mileage/power/torque/etc. and still offer their underwhelming V6 with bumped up numbers.

Viator092

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BMW 440i, 15 VW Golf TDI, 19 Ford Ranger Lariat
Not into diesels to much extra expense to own with all the extra oil, fuel filters need changed often and DEF all the time. I'm hoping for the 2.7 EcoBoost at least.

Not sure about Ford diesels but my Golf TDI doesn’t require extra oil. Goes through 5 gallons of DEF every 12000 miles at $13. Fuel filter is an easy DIY. Fuel costs me 6.5 cents/mile vs 11 cents for a comparable car. 47 mpg highway.

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
I’m starting to see rangers pop up at a surprising rate around my area .. I went from never seeing any to probably seeing 3-5 a day now on my drive to work .. I believe they’ll start selling a lot more now inventory is building up
Sponsored