Ceramic Seal Coat Prep. for the Ford Ranger

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Clay bar is the way to go; soooo easy to use.
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I started using the Mothers Claybar 2.0 gimmick on my last truck and haven’t looked back. I’ve thrown away too many pieces of clay after dropping them. I do however still prefer real clay for doing my windows as the Mothers 2.0 doesn’t quite fit down in the nooks and crannies

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
After three months after I detailed my new 2019 Ford Ranger with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax, the vehicle still looks like show room new from the dealership:like:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Ive been pretty happy with the Hybrid Ceramic Wax as well. Maybe not as much shine as a traditional paste wax but good overall and easy to apply.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been very happy with the product. I even did the process on my work van and have been able to cut down amount of time it takes to wash by at least half and double the amount of time I can go between washes

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
New kid on the block - Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax, G200416, 16 Oz.
Walmart charges $16 and other auto parts stores up to $24 a bottle.

Ceramic Wax.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I've researched this type product and I'm just not sure. I will do about 4K miles a year and get a pretty close to mirror shine with their Quick Wax and similar products :) not sure the shine would be any better, let alone easier to use.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Almost the same as their Mequiars's Hybrid Ceramic Wax but you need elbow grease to apply it.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
New kid on the block - Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax, G200416, 16 Oz.
Walmart charges $16 and other auto parts stores up to $24 a bottle.

Ceramic Wax.jpg
This stuff works great put a coat on my truck, goes on easy and doesn't haze up and doesn't discolor trim if you do get a little on it. in a few months when i reapply i will try to do a proper paint clean with a clay and go back over it and see how much of a difference the prep makes.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Hmmm ... if I would on read this before I did the MeGuiar's, I would of passed.

All I did yesterday (55-60*) was to wash at my local touch free. Do a clay bar to the truck. Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol. Spray, wipe to dry the ceramic. Go back over the whole surface with Clea micro fibers.

This morning I woke to about a half inch of snow on the truck. Figures right?

After the pup had done her business and ate breakfast, I made a 36oz Yeti full of coffee. we headed out for our daily ride. As we started down our normal start to the route, the snow was blowing off all the horizontal surfaces. Took about a half mile for the truck to be clean of snow and remarkably shinny.

I'm thinking I may top this with the MeKey's 37 Wax (Ceramic friendly). For follow ups, my local touch free has a ceramic "restorer" cycle. Been using that on the trike for like two years, and water still beads and runs off the trike.

Trike, the results are spectacular on darker colors:

Left Rear Fender.jpeg

My older taco ... before and after spilt image

Rear Split.jpeg

The Ranger, done yesterdat

IMG_0250.jpeg

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've researched this type product and I'm just not sure. I will do about 4K miles a year and get a pretty close to mirror shine with their Quick Wax and similar products :) not sure the shine would be any better, let alone easier to use.

It is more trouble to apply, but not that much.. In my experience, where this stuff earns it's keep it when the bugs are out. No more bug and tar remover, just run it through the touch free.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
It is more trouble to apply, but not that much.. In my experience, where this stuff earns it's keep it when the bugs are out. No more bug and tar remover, just run it through the touch free.
great point - I hate bugs - I still am exploring products that don't require that type of application because the water is so hard here. Seem like I can't go past an auto department without picking out a new one - latest I'm liking a lot after limited experience because of the weather straight on a section of dirt and salt that I got 2 for 1 on Amazon is this stuff - couldn't get a picture to act right
"SHINE ARMOR Fortify Quick Coat - Ceramic Coating - Car Wax Polish Spray - Waterless Car Wash & Wax - Hydrophobic Top Coat Polish & Polymer Paint Sealant Detail Protection"

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
great point - I hate bugs - I still am exploring products that don't require that type of application because the water is so hard here. Seem like I can't go past an auto department without picking out a new one - latest I'm liking a lot after limited experience because of the weather straight on a section of dirt and salt that I got 2 for 1 on Amazon is this stuff - couldn't get a picture to act right
"SHINE ARMOR Fortify Quick Coat - Ceramic Coating - Car Wax Polish Spray - Waterless Car Wash & Wax - Hydrophobic Top Coat Polish & Polymer Paint Sealant Detail Protection"

All of these products are basically the same ...

You can spend $50 for 4oz that you apply in 24" squares at a time that dry quickly and it could take you 6-8 hours to apply ... it will last 2 years.

Or spend $20 for a spray and wipe and it might last 6 months to a year.

Both will last longer if you wash with a ceramic friendly wash and reapplication.

Bottom line, if you want it to shine, you gotta do the time. Personally, I'd rather do it once right, then do the "maintenance doses". My trike still shines after 2 years and the water still beads.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Since the last post here was 2021, I thought I'd revive and ask....
What are people using for Ceramic Coatings these days? I'd like to do the wife's car because it is still brand new and if it works, I'll put the effort into the truck. Just confused by all of the marketing mumbo-jumbo out there. Can $10 ceramic coating be any good? Conversely, is the $120 bottle charging too much?
Sponsored