Ranger's 2.3L 4-cyl vs. Colorado's 3.6L V6

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Not getting hung up on the amount of cylinders just always preferred a 6 over a 4
If that's not blatantly being hung up on the number of cylinders don't know what is. Contradicted yourself before you even got started.
Sponsored

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
BEST.THREAD.EVER. I have no input. I was a Ford guy from the get go (my dad just retired after 30 years) so I have no comparison but I can say without a doubt that this truck is a freakin blast to drive. Thatā€™s all I need to know.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Colorado rental this week with the 3.6L V6. Itā€™s decently fast but you have have to wring it out uncomfortably far and it gets REALLY buzzy and noisy at those RPMs. The Ranger on the other hand has a nice tone throughout the rev range. NVH in general isnā€™t very good, thereā€™s a lot of road noise. It drives ok under normal circumstances but I sure miss the off-the-line torque of my EcoBoosts. And then thereā€™s the el-cheapo interior that everyone complains about, for a reason.

I have it for two more days, ask me anything.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my ZR2 for 7 months before I figured out GM couldn't fix the issues with it. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
The only reason I would buy a Colorado is for the Duramax. I prefer low end grunt vs. high end HP. That's why I'm driving a F150 with the 2.7L and not the 5.0L V8.

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Why? Who cares whats under the hood? Its all about power and this 4 has more of that, at a much lower Rpm, than the competitors 6.

That engine does not have to work as hard either. Top torque at 3k rpm. That means it is working lease than the 6 that has to be at 5k rpm to reach top power.

That means longer life.
All I know is that your comment got me looking and I found this excellent and very easy to understand writeup on how all of it is calculated. :thumbsup:

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/power_and_torque.htm I didn't realize how connected the values were. I like this key quote, "The point to be taken from those numbers is that a given amount of horsepower can be made from an infinite number of combinations of torque and RPM."

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never understand why people are so down on the 4-cylinder motor. and as far as moving Parts than a 6 cylinder and using the Tacoma 6 cylinder as an example it's a lot more powerful. people need to educate themselves on 4 cylinder turbos because they have far less moving parts and offer six-cylinder performance in a lighter engine with less moving parts! who wouldn't want that?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not getting hung up on the amount of cylinders just always preferred a 6 over a 4 in a truck. And to be honest I got the Colorado 6 knowing the Ranger did not have the 6 option or I would of waited to buy, as I've always had Rangers, but V-6's not 4's. I don't regret my choice as the V-6 is a very good runner, but I always like the ranger better just didn't really want a 4, but that's just me. Although everything I read, I'm at least wanting to test drive one.

You say you're not hung up on the number of cylinders but yet you always prefer to 6 to a 4. doesn't make sense. why would somebody prefer a weak 6 cylinder over a stronger 4 cylinder???? you seem to be hung up on the number of cylinders indeed. That's okay though. Tacoma owners have the same hang up. and they complain about their lackluster engine and trans combination to boot

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
You say you're not hung up on the number of cylinders but yet you always prefer to 6 to a 4. doesn't make sense. why would somebody prefer a weak 6 cylinder over a stronger 4 cylinder???? you seem to be hung up on the number of cylinders indeed. That's okay though. Tacoma owners have the same hang up. and they complain about their lackluster engine and trans combination to boot
i had a tacoma... no hang up here :crackup:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
All I know is that your comment got me looking and I found this excellent and very easy to understand writeup on how all of it is calculated. :thumbsup:

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/power_and_torque.htm I didn't realize how connected the values were. I like this key quote, "The point to be taken from those numbers is that a given amount of horsepower can be made from an infinite number of combinations of torque and RPM."
Yeah, horsepower is just a calculation of torque at a given rpm.....

Torque is the power.

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I love a good chevy ford fight. I was a diehard chevy guy. Chevy/ GM used to be the best engineering but times have changed. One more thing ford has is, they didnt take tax payers money to survive. I was going to buy a Colorado but after reading all reviews chose to try a Ranger even though it was a first run. I am very happy that I did. The XL Ranger is the best buy. :like:
You must be really really old to remember when GM had the best engineering, and fantasizing to think Chevy ever used enough of it!:giggle::rolleyes:

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
my 2 cents worth..
Previous daily driver 2009 4x4 Ram HEMI, have two friends with Colorado V6. Really liked it at first, one owns a shop so he let me borrow it for the day. The more I drove it the less I liked it, still a neat truck just realized it was not for me. Before the Ranger was on my radar I was super close to a Jeep GC Upland, It's close to the same money. Drove the ranger and it was awesome, right fit, better mpg, still get a bed, easier to park, etc. Sure I'm still getting used to the take up on the brakes, Ram brakes have zero take up, when you get on them you stop now. Either way we all make choices..some good some not so much but they are ours t make and if we realize we made the wrong one and are willing to own it we can trade it and take the loss & move on.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
my 2 cents worth..
Previous daily driver 2009 4x4 Ram HEMI, have two friends with Colorado V6. Really liked it at first, one owns a shop so he let me borrow it for the day. The more I drove it the less I liked it, still a neat truck just realized it was not for me. Before the Ranger was on my radar I was super close to a Jeep GC Upland, It's close to the same money. Drove the ranger and it was awesome, right fit, better mpg, still get a bed, easier to park, etc. Sure I'm still getting used to the take up on the brakes, Ram brakes have zero take up, when you get on them you stop now. Either way we all make choices..some good some not so much but they are ours t make and if we realize we made the wrong one and are willing to own it we can trade it and take the loss & move on.
Couldn't agree more, that's why I'm here. Bought the ZR2 and absolutely had a blast. So much fun off-road! Would have continued to have a blast. The engine is solid, the suspension is second-to-none. That transmission though......realized it too late, traded it, sucked it up and bought the ranger.
Sponsored