I had my doubts about the engine, they are beginning to get confirmed

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Call Ford directly and tell them the dealer wants to charge you 120$ for a vehicle with < 36k miles on it for diagnosis of an engine problem. Give them the dealer name and location, and wait for the dealership to call you groveling.

I think that dealerships like to bill the extended warranty in addition to the factory warranty because they don't have any way to know that the dealer is double dipping.

Ford will call them and get them to stop being dishonest, and they will behave because Ford can take away their toys if they don't straighten up.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
You mat be having an issue that needs attention, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this Engine/Transmission combination! All the power, torque and responsiveness needed in a pickup of this size and capability.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
You mat be having an issue that needs attention, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this Engine/Transmission combination! All the power, torque and responsiveness needed in a pickup of this size and capability.
yup. parts fail. every part will fail at some point.

Hell, a sensor that was just replaced can fail 10 miles down the road.

Not a bad design. just happens. That's that the warranty is for. An no, no one is getting charged $120 for warranty work.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
A call to Ford corporate will get any issues you can't get resolved with the dealer fixed.

I know, I have done it and ended up more than satified with the outcome.

" I had my doubts about the engine, they are beginning to get confirmed"

Sounds like a Ford wasn't for you from the beginning.

woody

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xl supercab 4 x 4 towed
on my 2015 colorado I had a engine light come on when I was on holidays ? I called my local dealer that I bought it from and they told me to drive it and when I get home to bring it in . It ended up being the sensor and they replaced the sensor and the wiring harness as this was the electronic control for the oil pump ??? . They said if were to get worse the truck would have shut down and would not start ? the fix took 3 days as they had to order in parts and they rented me a truck for the 3 days . no charge for anything

no more mechanical oil pumps

dave

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
UPDATE

Dealership called in, said they couldn't quite figure out the problem today, they needed to wait until tomorrow where a specific tech guy who knows these trucks in and out would be in the dealership. They did end up offering me a free rental to get back down to San Diego (about 100 miles from where I am) so that me and my partner don't have to miss work 2 days in a row, so that was rather nice of them. I'm going to take them up on that and hope for the best.

The salesman from yesterday said no free rental since I didn't buy from them. I guess the service guys are nicer?

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A call to Ford corporate will get any issues you can't get resolved with the dealer fixed.

I know, I have done it and ended up more than satified with the outcome.

" I had my doubts about the engine, they are beginning to get confirmed"

Sounds like a Ford wasn't for you from the beginning.
I'm not going to lie, even in my first post on this forum, I was going to be picking up the truck with a lot of skepticism about the engines. I bought the Ranger over the Tacoma primarily because the price was much much lower. The Toyota dealership in my area wanted $32,400 for a V6 Tacoma 4X2 with the small cab and 6 foot bed.I tried to haggle, compare, even brought quotes from Ford back, and they wouldn't budge on the price. Salesman literally said "I sell 4-5 of these per day." He wasn't lying, as in my area, it is well known that almost everyone buys new at the Toyota or Honda dealerships. On paper, the ranger offers everything that same Tacoma did, at a MUCH lower price (like, almost $7000 less). I fully expected a new gen truck to have issues, but I was mentally prepared for issues at 5,000- 10,000 miles and after, not during the first two weeks.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to lie, even in my first post on this forum, I was going to be picking up the truck with a lot of skepticism about the engines. I bought the Ranger over the Tacoma primarily because the price was much much lower. The Toyota dealership in my area wanted $32,400 for a V6 Tacoma 4X2 with the small cab and 6 foot bed.I tried to haggle, compare, even brought quotes from Ford back, and they wouldn't budge on the price. Salesman literally said "I sell 4-5 of these per day." He wasn't lying, as in my area, it is well known that almost everyone buys new at the Toyota or Honda dealerships. On paper, the ranger offers everything that same Tacoma did, at a MUCH lower price (like, almost $7000 less). I fully expected a new gen truck to have issues, but I was mentally prepared for issues at 5,000- 10,000 miles and after, not during the first two weeks.
It is not a new engine or transmission. Both have been around. The 10-speed is the exact same tranny as used in the F-150.

it sucks you have issues, but the engine and tranny are solid. and proven.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Hi all,

So, today, at 317 miles, my truck gave me a low oil pressure and check engine light warning. I checked the oil dip stick, looked normal. I called the toll free number for Ford's towing services, had it towed to a dealership, and they said they will take a look at it tomorrow (Its Sunday, service folks are not available today). I'm very upset, as this is a BRAND NEW truck with this problem. I already checked the engine oil, it looks good. The worst part is, I am in Riverside, up from National City. It is 100 degrees here, and we were stranded in the hot as hell sun for over an hour. I am FAR away (about 100 miles) from the dealership that I purchased the truck at (San Diego), and both me and my partner will be missing work tomorrow. To top it all off, this was our 9 year anniversary weekend.

Coming from a family of Chevy owners, having owned 2 Camaros, and having an S10 and Silverado in the family, my first experiences with Ford thus far have not been great ..... putting it mildly.

Now I'm just hoping that no crazy funny business happens because I am currently in the middle of getting a refund on my extended warranty that I cancelled earlier this week, and they may claim that I "used" the warranty with this repair if the cancellation process has not gone through. Also, the dealership said they would need to charge me $100 to take a look at the truck .... fantastic.
Get a $20 OPD2 scanner at WalMart. Sometimes helps to know what you can before you hit the dealer, sometimes its an anomaly and you can just erase/reset the code - but that would apply mostly to older vehicles. My '98 would miss on one cylinder every couple years and I just ignored the light for about 5 years before I got the scanner and it never came back. No comments on the dealer :(

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Juan;
I bought a new Ranger in 1987, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 1992, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 2001, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 2019, expected no issues... none yet!

Total unscheduled maintenance for each of the first three truck's first 100,000miles ... $0
Now I realize that anything can break, and everything will eventually...

So I make a habit of buying the best, and have the records to support that fact.

Your truck will be fixed under warranty and you can expect a long and reliable service life from it in the future.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Juan;
I bought a new Ranger in 1987, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 1992, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 2001, expected no issues... got none.
I bought a new Ranger in 2019, expected no issues... none yet!

Total unscheduled maintenance for each of the first three truck's first 100,000 miles ... $0
Now I realize that anything can break, and everything will eventually...

So I make a habit of buying the best, and have the records to support that fact.

Your truck will be fixed under warranty and you can expect a long and reliable service life from it in the future.

I've owned 4 rangers, one of which I put a 5.0 HO in, and beat the crap out of weekly. It broke far less often than anyone would have expected it to. One time I was driving in 2WD through a Forest trail, I hit some soft ground without warning (no time to shift to 4x4). I floored it, and hit a big mud hole hard enough to crack both front rotors in half. No other damage.

The new Ranger is tough, probably not as tough as it's old mechanical brethren, but I wouldn't worry about it breaking down from normal to heavy everyday use.

Sensors fail, if its something bad, they will replace your stuff for free.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I fully expected a new gen truck to have issues, but I was mentally prepared for issues at 5,000- 10,000 miles and after, not during the first two weeks.
When electronic components fail it is common for them to fail very early. On the bright side, when that happens, it will be covered by your warranty unlike mechanical components which may fail long after the warranty expires.

Last edited:
OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've owned 4 rangers, one of which I put a 5.0 HO in, and beat the crap out of weekly. It broke far less often than anyone would have expected it to. One time I was driving in 2WD through a Forest trail, I hit some soft ground without warning (no time to shift to 4x4). I floored it, and hit a big mud hole hard enough to crack both front rotors in half. No other damage.

The new Ranger is tough, probably not as tough as it's old mechanical brethren, but I wouldn't worry about it breaking down from normal to heavy everyday use.

Sensors fail, if its something bad, they will replace your stuff for free.
Sounds like these have been reliable, and, honestly, I do hope this is a reliable truck. I take very good care of my vehicles (considering they have always been outside a garage). I bought a used 2002 Camaro in 2007 (salvaged) that had 75,000 miles, now it has a bit over 130,000 miles. While it has some issues, it still runs fine, and looks almost the same as it did when I bought it. The same goes with my 1995 Camaro, bought it at 100,000 miles as my first car when I turned 18, it has now been with me for 13 years and has 170,000 miles. As I said, this is my first new car purchase, and first car newer than 2002. I hope that the issue with my truck is nothing major, and that I can put it back to work soon (I have plenty of boxes and furniture that need moving). I worry because, as I hear from plenty of older and wiser people than me (especially mechanics) the more technology new cars have, the less reliable they become long-term.

I will keep ya'll updated on everything.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like these have been reliable, and, honestly, I do hope this is a reliable truck. I take very good care of my vehicles (considering they have always been outside a garage). I bought a used 2002 Camaro in 2007 (salvaged) that had 75,000 miles, now it has a bit over 130,000 miles. While it has some issues, it still runs fine, and looks almost the same as it did when I bought it. The same goes with my 1995 Camaro, bought it at 100,000 miles as my first car when I turned 18, it has now been with me for 13 years and has 170,000 miles. As I said, this is my first new car purchase, and first car newer than 2002. I hope that the issue with my truck is nothing major, and that I can put it back to work soon (I have plenty of boxes and furniture that need moving). I worry because, as I hear from plenty of older and wiser people than me (especially mechanics) the more technology new cars have, the less reliable they become long-term.

I will keep ya'll updated on everything.
The mechanics I trust tell me that cars have gotten more reliable over the years, but what has changed is that repair work has shifted from "it doesn't run" type work, to fixing things like broken power windows or door locks, or other things that don't affect the vehicle driving. I suppose sensors might fall into that category too since there are a LOT more sensors on new cars than ones from 20 years ago. But overall, cars are getting MORE reliable, not less. People are keeping their vehicles longer too since they are running longer with less issues.

The maintenance schedule for the Ranger for the first 100,000 miles is basically:
  • Change the oil every 10,000 miles
  • Change the cabin air filter every 20,000 miles
  • Change the engine air filter every 30,000 miles
At 100k you change the plugs and coolant.

That is pretty simple maintenance for 100,000 miles I think.

I'm sure whatever they find will be relatively simple - probably a bad sensor. As someone else said, typically electronics will either fail quickly or last quite a long time.

Asu4040

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
This post seems fabricated or missing details. If you had major concerns with the truck, you should not have bought it. If you are unhappy and no longer want it, sell it and move on. I’m not sure what you are expecting by venting to pro-Ranger forum users.

No dealership will charge you for warranty work. You should have called Ford corporate while you were driving/towing to the next closest Ford dealer. Now if you were messing with the car and caused the damage, that’s a whole different story.

Good luck, hope everything goes favorably but do some self-reflection as well.
Sponsored