• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KTM 1290R
Occupation
Machinist
I don't mind the screen, but I also have never owned a vehicle with one. My last vehicle was a 2011 STi hatchback.

On another note, a couple people on the Bronco 6G forums are saying that this RRaptor is sporting the new BFG KO3s. 🤔
Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
This Bronco 10" screen looks so much better. The iPad looking screen I feel are the "new look" as everyone's doing it now and are unfortunately here to stay.
Having actually used it, the vertical screen is far easier to navigate due to the way the sections are laid out.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
I'm feeling more and more in the minority with that screen. I actually love it. It's like a smaller version of what's in the Lightning. The big screens make it so easy to see maps for navigation as well as camera views off-roading. The GM twins look great too but I think I'd like having the bigger screen.
They way manufacturers are going, you're probably not in that small of a minority if one at all. It's the new trend. I strongly dislike it, but it is what it is. I'm the one who is probably in the minority as I have to set the 8-inch screen in my Escape to the lowest brightness setting due to the LEDs fatiguing my eyes at night. I also usually set it to the clock or calm screen setting when not using navigation, especially at night.

When I get my next vehicle in the coming years, I've already concluded I'll have to buy some type of thin fabric to cover the screens at night when driving. I just wish LED headlights weren't so bright or at least a bit warmer color wise.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Having actually used it, the vertical screen is far easier to navigate due to the way the sections are laid out.
I'm sure it is and I'll most likely like it after using it. I'm a creature of habit and don't like change so these iPad looking screens are taking a while to get use to. Right now it's to "in your face" looking and that's all you notice looking at the dash where the Bronco screen is subtle and blends in nicely. But they way things are going with phones (getting larger) soon enough we'll all be carrying an iPad around. lol

Carmaker1

First Name
Dr. J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Fords, BMWs, JLR, Toyotas
Occupation
Product Development
Good clarification! Yes it seems almost every journalist (and I use that term lightly) calls them test mules. So ever since the Broncos were tested that's kind of stuck as that's all they ever called them.
Certainly AzScorpion! Yes, I blame misinformation from journalists and social media (non-forums, ie FB, IG, etc) spreading it like wildfire. I'd say that some 12-13 years ago I finally learned the truth in practice and realized the whole world of prototype development, which has led me to this point regarding our Ford specific processes.

I keep telling them writers, but they really just don't listen and it ends up sticking, if earnest vloggers repeat what they read and it becomes part of the lexicon.

Sometimes, it can really complex. There are mechanical prototypes in rare instances, that will oddly have the sheetmetal of the final vehicle, but essentially are a mule with no actual headlights or taillights. A cobbled together interior, not close to being representative of the final car.

Usually you never see those ever, but a few of them in some instances are testing. Basically half mule/half VP prototype. I personally call those M2s, even though it's not an official Ford term for such a prototype.

Very few mules for the P703 were seen testing, because although they chose the final design 4 years ago, it wasn't fully frozen until the latter half of 2019. You can see that in the leaked 2019 mockup, having some slightly different details from the production truck, despite being 95% identical.

So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly using the Maverick.

This spy shot of the Franken-Escape back in 2020 was the Maverick test mule.
ford-courier-spy-shots-1-jpg.jpg

This spy photo of heavily camouflaged mini-trucks are Maverick prototypes.
ford-maverick-spy-photos.jpg
Yessir, you got it! That's exactly what the deal is, M-1s are usually first built right after we lockdown the styling of production design with engineering or as I love to describe, "design freeze". They have the production underbody, but the "tophat" (body+interior) is not important and unrepresentative of the final design at that point.

If we let's say wanted to experiment with aluminum bodies on the P758 Maverick without relying on engineers having a production underbody ready, usually the first stage of that is X0. When we make refinements to that process, that's an X1, still testing different things not yet formalized. After those stages are complete, we reach M1DJ which means M1 Data Judgement, which is when the engineered design is complete for M1 prototypes (your example) with the production underbody. FDJ comes a little bit after that, which is when every aspect of engineering design is complete and we are ready to built VP testers (2nd example).

Hopefully that doesn't mean a drop in quality.
No, I'd say the opposite. I don't want to say more about this too publicly, as there is a reason why your sharp eyes caught that noted difference.

These early build trucks could end up going to the auto journalists for reviews as well.
There are no scheduled drives for Ranger yet, These are trials for future productions. They fine tune stamping and all computer controlled welding. These will get scrapped after engineering is done with them
PP builds can be sold actually in some cases, if I recall. TTs cannot be. Some of these might be used for press photography and embargoed early drives, in fact. Gotta jet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys Gladiator
I'm feeling more and more in the minority with that screen. I actually love it. It's like a smaller version of what's in the Lightning. The big screens make it so easy to see maps for navigation as well as camera views off-roading. The GM twins look great too but I think I'd like having the bigger screen.
I'm not a huge fan of these new Tesla style screens. But they are much better than the one's that look like an iPad wedged into the top of the dash. Or worse like Kia does with the screen that stretches from the infotainment center all the way into the gauge cluster. One ginormous horizonal screen.

Ford Ranger 6th Gen 2024 Ranger Raptor rolling down MAP production line 📸 F97ADA43-1E1B-409C-B152-E02EC05292D9

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
agreed. i'm not huge on the "digitize everything" movement in the car's HUD, but i think the Ranger looks much cleaner than a lot of other modern cars. as long as they give hard buttons for the important stuff (which they did -- a/c and volume) then i'll be happy and i'm excited to test the screen. hoping there's no noticeable lag.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I believe I read somewhere that the 10" screen is an upgrade/option and standard screen is like 8.5"?

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
They way manufacturers are going, you're probably not in that small of a minority if one at all. It's the new trend. I strongly dislike it, but it is what it is. I'm the one who is probably in the minority as I have to set the 8-inch screen in my Escape to the lowest brightness setting due to the LEDs fatiguing my eyes at night. I also usually set it to the clock or calm screen setting when not using navigation, especially at night.

When I get my next vehicle in the coming years, I've already concluded I'll have to buy some type of thin fabric to cover the screens at night when driving. I just wish LED headlights weren't so bright or at least a bit warmer color wise.
I have a Maverick with the 8" screen horizontally mounted near top of dashboard. I would never have ordered it if I had the choice, but there's not much critical functionality on there- and the best part is there's an OFF button for the screen when not needed!

All Terrain Nation

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Media
When I worked for a major auto company we would run trials in batches. 1 truck a day then stop for a few weeks. Maybe a dozen a few weeks later. We called them PT1 (early runs) and by late PT2 runs they could be sellable.
since production isn’t till summer I would say these are very early runs. Especially considering someone at MAP couldn’t wait to share the pix.

Sponsored

All Terrain Nation

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Media
These early build trucks could end up going to the auto journalists for reviews as well.
Doubtful.. If you remember the Bronco launch after the video in July Ford openly started testing them. If anything I’m guessing these may get the beat up testing treatment.
as someone who gets press loans no major auto would want early trucks out. Some AJs look to pick apart the trucks.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I'm not a huge fan of these new Tesla style screens. But they are much better than the one's that look like an iPad wedged into the top of the dash. Or worse like Kia does with the screen that stretches from the infotainment center all the way into the gauge cluster. One ginormous horizonal screen.
I don't like those either. Mercedes may be even more egregious.

Ford Ranger 6th Gen 2024 Ranger Raptor rolling down MAP production line 📸 mercedes screen

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I believe I read somewhere that the 10" screen is an upgrade/option and standard screen is like 8.5"?
Over here anyway the 10.1" screen is standard and the 12" is the premium version in the upspec models. The 12" screen is more difficult to use

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
what makes it harder to use in your opinion?
The size, it's just harder to locate things at a glance as you have to spend more time scanning the screen to find the button. The 10" screen is just more comfortable to see the whole thing in one go. It's like sitting too close to a big screen TV.
Sponsored