BAKFLIP MX4 INSTALL

Muscam1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Note the rubber outside seal how it goes all the way to the end cap. On one of my rails this outside rubber seal was about an inch short - introducing a leak point. BakFlip was great in sending me a replacement seal which I have now installed.
Sponsored

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Anybody have issues with cover hitting bedlight

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Bed light?

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I
The groovei n the clamp for a reason. By not using the groove it may cause the clamp to slip in a vibratory environment. the clamp forces are not opposed, thus createng a moment which could exrbate the loosening.

Glad this works for you...good luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Phil, I may have not communicated clearly what I had done. I noticed during installation of the rails that the clamps did not engage the uppermost groove in the rail. I checked and realized that if I filed away a wee bit of the clamp jaw until the clamp would engage and slide freely in all of the grooves in the rail. This would allow the clamp’s other jaw to catch more of the bed rail without the tipping effect I and others experienced during the installation process. Hope this explains what I did more clearly.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I
Phil, I may have not communicated clearly what I had done. I noticed during installation of the rails that the clamps did not engage the uppermost groove in the rail. I checked and realized that if I filed away a wee bit of the clamp jaw until the clamp would engage and slide freely in all of the grooves in the rail. This would allow the clamp’s other jaw to catch more of the bed rail without the tipping effect I and others experienced during the installation process. Hope this explains what I did more clearly.
Hi Gene,

Okay! Got it! Thanks! Now to get Bacflip to give me the end caps that I do not have...I had file the sharp edges of the back of the side rails as there were burrs and on the right side these burrs dug into the tailgate cap... Hope they come through, but I am not holding my breath.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Hi Gene,

Okay! Got it! Thanks! Now to get Bacflip to give me the end caps that I do not have...I had file the sharp edges of the back of the side rails as there were burrs and on the right side these burrs dug into the tailgate cap... Hope they come through, but I am not holding my breath.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Just call them with your serial number, it's on the box. They are pretty responsive...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just call them with your serial number, it's on the box. They are pretty responsive...
Hi Lee,

Sent them an email and they closed my trouble ticket, referred me to Warranty Dept... Much too busy now to sit on the phone, so emailed the warranty dept following the Customer canned email...Wait and see. Gotta board a plane to Michigan...haven't packed the suitcase yet...Yikes!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
the light on the back of the cab just above rear window it lights up the bed
It’s close. I moved the cover back just a touch so it goes underneath.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Okay...heard back from the warranty Dept....they wanted my serial number...Box gone to the recycling center. Crawled into the bed and found a white sticker with numbers and a bar code...Is this the alleged serial number? Anyway sent it to then via email...awaiting reply...Baffled why the need for this detail...they have my order number and my payment verification...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well installed the rails without the shims and even thou the rails are a good fit I have noticed the gap is to wide and you can push cover to one side and the latch on the other side does not engage so time to pull the rails back off and reapply shims :curse:

Richard

sbacpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Claybuster
Vehicle Showcase
Well installed the rails without the shims and even thou the rails are a good fit I have noticed the gap is to wide and you can push cover to one side and the latch on the other side does not engage so time to pull the rails back off and reapply shims :curse:

Richard
I did the same thing. When I applied the shims, I applied them where I put the clamps. One on the top edge of the rail and one on the bottom edge directly below it.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have issues with cover hitting bedlight
I have the "G2" model and applied the 2 foam pads so they rest on the bed/3rd brake light....I'm careful to not "fling" it up.

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I found that with the rail shims the rails just wouldnt sit square with the bed so they had to go. If the cover is centered then both latches function fine. It takes a little work to get the cover tightened down with the knobs in the right spot so it doesnt hit the bed light or miss latching on both sides.

OP
OP

DANGERRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I think they want your serial number because they've been making changes to the design. The first rails they sent had a raw cut aluminum end and flimsy prop rod attachments. Their quality control was lacking and rough ends prevented me from closing my tailgate on the right side so they sent me new rails and they were different.
Sponsored