Truxedo Tonneau Covers

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, mine came with printed installation instructions from Truxedo and the vinyl roll has the Ford logo embossed in it. The instructions call it a Truxport and the phone number got me to Truxedo. The support person agreed it is their product for Ford. I guess a dealer installed yours.
No, I installed mine but don’t remember seeing any Truxedo labeling on the instructions. I’ll check fir a SN tomorrow if it stops raining here in Florida!
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, mine came with printed installation instructions from Truxedo and the vinyl roll has the Ford logo embossed in it. The instructions call it a Truxport and the phone number got me to Truxedo. The support person agreed it is their product for Ford. I guess a dealer installed yours.
Here's my s/n: 101790326

The rubber seal shown is actually attached to the Roll up Cover mount, not the Bulkhead seal rail. I've yet to get any water inside the bed from this area. Rarely any water gets in, even when I take it through a car wash!

Last edited:

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Here's my s/n: 101790326

The rubber seal shown is actually attached to the Roll up Cover mount, not the Bulkhead seal rail. I've yet to get any water inside the bed from this area. Rarely any water gets in, even when I take it through a car wash!
Thanks for the info. I have a SuperCrew w/ 5' bed. Do you have the 6' bed? That might explain a difference in instruction sheet appearance but not the difference in weather seal design.

I hate companies that aren't straight with customers that are having a problem and then try to blame problem on improper installation. I double checked everything and I'm sure it's installed correctly.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I have a SuperCrew w/ 5' bed. Do you have the 6' bed? That might explain a difference in instruction sheet appearance but not the difference in weather seal design.

I hate companies that aren't straight with customers that are having a problem and then try to blame problem on improper installation. I double checked everything and I'm sure it's installed correctly.
No, this is a 5' bed version. I think this is the version I bought:
Tonneau/Bed Cover - Soft XLP Premium Roll-Up, For 5.0 Bed
Part No: VKB3Z-99501A42-L
It's got the Ford logo embossed on the Top near the tailgate. That made me thingk it was Truxedo was the latch system with the release on the Left and deigned just like the LoPros I've had before on older Rangers and my 17 Taco. Having installed so many, I ddnt pay much attention to the Instructions excpt for the Tabs that had to be bolted to the front and rear on the inside to provide support for the side rails.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, this is a 5' bed version. I think this is the version I bought:
Tonneau/Bed Cover - Soft XLP Premium Roll-Up, For 5.0 Bed
Part No: VKB3Z-99501A42-L
It's got the Ford logo embossed on the Top near the tailgate. That made me thingk it was Truxedo was the latch system with the release on the Left and deigned just like the LoPros I've had before on older Rangers and my 17 Taco. Having installed so many, I ddnt pay much attention to the Instructions excpt for the Tabs that had to be bolted to the front and rear on the inside to provide support for the side rails.
Thanks for the additional info. My cover is VKB3Z-99501A42-J and cost me $329. It is the Truxport which is what I installed on my 05 Ranger. It worked great with no leaks and the new owner is still using it. I guess I'm screwed and will have to fix it myself with additional weather stripping.

I didn't realize that Truxedo charges more if you want a version that doesn't leak. I would have paid more for no leaks with rails on top rather than have inside rails. People don't buy a cover to collect water in their bed so a reasonable level of weatherproofing is expected by most. I will be using a bed tent for camping and don't want anything that would interfere with the open bed area anyway but need to also keep my stuff dry when traveling. I couldn't believe that the Truxedo rep told me that my 05 was a different truck, like it is ok to have bad leaks. They must have designed the kit without some water testing on a real truck before releasing it to production.

Last edited:

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did send off a message to Truxedo and to their credit they contacted me with a nice letter and a heads up on a seal for the Truxport. Seems engineering has been looking at a better way and are sending the seal out to me. Nice to see a company that takes the feedback from customers seriously
I sent them a message about 10 days ago and never heard from them so I called on Friday. The support person asked me to send photos and then responded back again today saying that she thought the cover was located too close to the cab. Told her it was an inch away from the cab and lined up with the bulkhead seal, so I'm waiting for a response. Did you ever get the new parts from Truxedo for yours? It would be great to see what they sent and whether it worked for you.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I sent them a message about 10 days ago and never heard from them so I called on Friday. The support person asked me to send photos and then responded back again today saying that she thought the cover was located too close to the cab. Told her it was an inch away from the cab and lined up with the bulkhead seal, so I'm waiting for a response. Did you ever get the new parts from Truxedo for yours? It would be great to see what they sent and whether it worked for you.
Any updates? I have the same tonneau sitting in a box waiting for a truck.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any updates? I have the same tonneau sitting in a box waiting for a truck.
They are reviewing the photos I sent but act like they never heard of leak problems. My leaks were pretty bad.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are reviewing the photos I sent but act like they never heard of leak problems. My leaks were pretty bad.
It looks to me like it needs a “bulkhead accessory rail” like on the ProX15 or something very similar.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It looks to me like it needs a “bulkhead accessory rail” like on the ProX15 or something very similar.
There is an accessory rail but on my truck it doesn't slide up high enough to touch the main cover crossrail. I could modify it or add a strip of weather seal to the top but that doesn't fix the openings at the corners. I would have designed the bulkhead seal differently by extending it to reach the corner of the bed. I aimed a flashlight between the cab and bed and took this photo from inside the bed. You can see light in the corner and along the length of the seal. Water entered along the seal and in the two corners at the sides of the bulkhead seal.

20190711_155347.jpg

Last edited:

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is an accessory rail but on my truck it doesn't slide up high enough to touch the main cover crossrail. I could modify it or add a strip of weather seal to the top but that doesn't fix the openings at the corners. I would have designed the bulkhead seal differently by extending it to reach the corner of the bed. I aimed a flashlight between the cab and bed and took this photo from inside the bed. You can see light in the corner and along the length of the seal. Water entered along the seal and in the two corners at the sides of the bulkhead seal.

20190711_155347.jpg
Bulkhead accessory rail from the ProX15 with that on top?
5:10

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bulkhead accessory rail from the ProX15 with that on top?
5:10
My cover is not the Ford Premium Cover (X-15). It is the standard cover (Truxport). My kit did not come with the supplemental brackets or the bulkhead seal tape. The block seals seem to be shorter on mine also. Those parts would probably have solved my leak problem. All i got was the accessory rail. If you have the Premium cover, you will probably be ok. I didn't want a cover that protruded into the bed like the ProX15.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Pro X15 a few days ago from Amazon (only $477), reading this thread I guess I can look forward to some 'fun' time when it comes in, seeing as I have a spray in liner lol.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Just installed a new Truxedo Sentry hard rolling tonneau cover on my Ranger today. I also installed a Bed Rug at the same time today. After washing or rain, I'll check to see if/how much water leaks into the bed. I did add some extra pieces of foam sealing tape in the front corners of the box to hopefully help keep the box dry.

The last pic shows the Truxedo front bracket installed on the driver's side of the box, but I had it incorrectly oriented. It has to go between the plastic bed cap and the aluminum rail of the box. Their instructions kind of suck and don't tell you this at all.

IMG_7759.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

IMG_7757.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

IMG_7754.jpeg

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Pro X15 today... they're not lying when they say the instructions are a mess lol

I like the overall looks, but I ended up having several of the same issues the OP had, due to my spray-in liner. I took some of the liner out (which was easier than I thought it would be) and figured it would fit nicely... Well, no lol

I am not sure what is happening, but for some reason it looks like the cover is like half an inch too short... I had the hardest time getting it closed, had to loosen the tension bolts a lot to be even able to close the cover. I have a feeling it may still be way too tight (it needs a lot of force in order to get it closed). And once closed, you can clearly see it's not going to be waterproof.

Another issue I had (and have) and I wonder if someone here maybe knows the answer/solution to, is that the rail on the passenger side refused to go flush at the end of my bed. It sticks out just a little bit, maybe 1-2mm, but enough for me to be annoying. Also, I think it may be part of the reason why it looks like I have a gap in between the seal and my tailgate. I tried my hardest to get it down, been toying with it for several hours, using a lot of downward pressure when tightening the bolts, but never been able to get it nicely flush. Weirdest part is, it seems like both my truck and the rails are straight, so I'm not sure why it is doing this.

I'll post some photos below, if anyone has any idea how I can solve that little gap issue or what is happening with it, it would be most appreciated :)

ezgZbQl.jpg

RGdBW6s.jpg

Rf34sGo.jpg

RQLG4gs.jpg
Sponsored