DIY very cool, inexpensive tailgate light bar - your Ranger will be seen!

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase

Stopped in a local truck accessory business, the other day, and they had a cool tailgate light bar for "only" $199. (Tax and installation extra) I researched the Internet and found a "quality" tailgate light bar for "only" $19.95! (This is not a vendor endorsement! - there are other products on the Internet)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bar-60-inch-and-48-inch-4-pin-connector/4197/
LED Tailgate Light Bar with 4-Pin Connector - 48" Red/White Part Number: TGL48-RW
(Do not use the 60" one on the 2019 Ford Ranger - won't fit)
3M Adhesion Promoter Part Number: 06396

The tailgate light bar wiring harness has a inline protection fuse and a four pin trailer connector for the already installed 4 pin trailer connection on the 2019 Ford Ranger. If you are already using this fixed connector for your trailer you might need to purchase a 4 pin Y cable harness or just disconnect it when using a trailer.

The tailgate light bar lights when:
Running lights - full tailgate red bar (steady)
Left turn signal - 1/2 red bar flashing
Right turn signal - 1/2 red bar flashing
Reverse/backup - full tailgate light bar - alternate red & white (steady)

Installation tips:
You need to splice into the reverse/backup lights wiring for reverse or backup tailgate lights to function. (optional)
After you do a full tailgate light test simulation "before" to see if all the LED light bar functions and after centering/marking the light bar on the bumper vinyl just remove the tailgate for easy tailgate light bar installation.
(First - always double/triple check your clearances with the tailgate up and down!)
Definitely use the special 3M "foam tape" adhesive promoter to help "weld" the tailgate light bar foam tape to the bumper without fasteners. (You only have one try to make it right - good luck);)
For a professional look - tidy your wiring with flexible plastic hoses and tie wraps.

The picture, is bad, due to the fact it was taken in broad daylight and the shiny reflection of a highly polished Ford Ranger. ;) At night time, the light bar is awesome.:like:

light_bar.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andy,

Thanks...do not normally go for this sort of thing, but I find this a very useful safety addition!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Would like to see a pic in the dark please

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Would like to see a pic in the dark please
Had to wait until this evening for a pic because I just installed the tailgate light bar only this morning.:wink:
"Running" LED tailgate light bar at night - not bad for $20;)
This tailgate light bar might add too much class to your Lariat.:sunglasses:

Running_lights.JPG

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Had to wait until this evening for a pic because I just installed the tailgate light bar only this morning.:wink:
"Running" LED tailgate light bar at night - not bad for $20;)
This tailgate light bar might add too much class to your Lariat.:sunglasses:

Running_lights.JPG
I was just behind a truck tonight that had these lights on the tailgate. They looked very good and definitely got your attention.:thumbsup:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Stopped in a local truck accessory business, the other day, and they had a cool tailgate light bar for "only" $199. (Tax and installation extra) I researched the Internet and found a "quality" tailgate light bar for "only" $19.95! (This is not a vendor endorsement! - there are other products on the Internet)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bar-60-inch-and-48-inch-4-pin-connector/4197/
LED Tailgate Light Bar with 4-Pin Connector - 48" Red/White Part Number: TGL48-RW
(Do not use the 60" one on the 2019 Ford Ranger - won't fit)
3M Adhesion Promoter Part Number: 06396

When I tried to use an LED strip connected to the trailer port I get a trailer error on the dash........As if it sought a trailer, not a light bar. The 4 pin connector is merged with the large round connector under the bumper. I see no way to splice a harness into the 4 pin connector in the rear rather than on the front. which gave me trailer warnings.

Do you have any pics of the 4 pin install?

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I tried to use an LED strip connected to the trailer port I get a trailer error on the dash........As if it sought a trailer, not a light bar. The 4 pin connector is merged with the large round connector under the bumper. I see no way to splice a harness into the 4 pin connector in the rear rather than on the front. which gave me trailer warnings.

Do you have any pics of the 4 pin install?
Are you using the exact vendor's 48" tailgate light bar?
At the vendor's website (see above) they show everything - wiring/installation video/parts
Did you do a test simulation with "only" plugging in the 4 pin harness into the Ranger's 4 pin harness?
Please note: different vendor's tailgate light bars have different current draws - so if there is a problem just send it back. There is no need to do splicing except for the backup/reverse wire;)
The above vendor's tailgate light bar works with no errors on my 2019 Ford Ranger XL;)

The pic below shows the tailgate lightbar harness plugged into the "standard" 4 pin Ranger harness. The location of this harness is 8 inches from dead center on the left underside bumper of the Ranger.
If you did a wrong splice for the backup/reverse wire that could cause problems?

XL_4_pin.JPG

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Andy,

A very good point to try it with a "dry fit" before installing it only to find a problem...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Are you using the exact vendor's 48" tailgate light bar?
At the vendor's website (see above) they show everything - wiring/installation video/parts
Did you do a test simulation with "only" plugging in the 4 pin harness into the Ranger's 4 pin harness?
Please note: different vendor's tailgate light bars have different current draws - so if there is a problem just send it back. There is no need to do splicing except for the backup/reverse wire;)
The above vendor's tailgate light bar works with no errors on my 2019 Ford Ranger XL;)

The pic below shows the tailgate lightbar harness plugged into the "standard" 4 pin Ranger harness. The location of this harness is 8 inches from dead center on the left underside bumper of the Ranger.
If you did a wrong splice for the backup/reverse wire that could cause problems?
I haven't got the light kit yet I just ordered it. As you can see in the pictures I don't have a 4 pin connector harness except on the outside of the truck. I pulled that connector out and the only thing I can see our wires going into the round part The four pin connector is only on the outside. When I try to use another LED light and plug it into the four pin connector I got trailer errors so I ordered it we'll see what happens I don't think we have the same towing package

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I try to use another LED light and plug it into the four pin connector I got trailer errors so I ordered it we'll see what happens I don't think we have the same towing package
On the vendor's (superbrightleds.com) website it states ...
Tailgate light bar current draw per foot @ 50 ma. and for 48" or 4 feet is 200 ma.
That's why I asked you if you were using the same vendor's 48" Tailgate light bar.
Just maybe, your light bar is drawing way too much current?

From what your Lariat trailer special connector picture shows - you have a different size connector than my standard 4 pin trailer connector welded on my XL bumper. The pinouts, if I read them correctly, are/should be the same between connectors? (D) Left turn signal, (C) right turn signal, (B) running lights and square plug (A) ground. See the vendor's (superbrightleds.com) pin out below and verify.

There are only three options for this tailgate LED lightbar.
1. Just use the trailer connector only for the tailgate lightbar without the trailer.
2. Disconnect the tailgate light bar connector when using the connector for the trailer.
3. Get a Y trailer harness for both BUT - both could draw too much current and the Lariat trailer system might/could detect this overcurrent and gives errors?
Hope this helps.;)

pinout2.jpg

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Tailgate Light Bar placement is critical on the 2019 Ford Ranger XL. You need to double check your "centered" placement carefully with the tailgate up and down!
If you place the tailgate light bar too high - it won't be seen because the tailgate lip is hiding the light bar.
If you place the tailgate light bar too low - it will be pinched by the "down" tailgate lip.
There is a "bend groove" in the Ranger's vinyl bumper which is "almost" even across the bumper - just use this groove as a reference to align the top edge of the tailgate light bar with this groove for the foam tape light bar placement. Be sure to clean the rubber/vinyl bumper placement section with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and afterwards (when dry) apply the 3M adhesive promoter in the placement section. Then immediately c a r e f u l l y apply the tailgate light bar - be sure to remove the red foam tape protector along the placement route. Removing the tailgate, after carefully marking/centering the light bar on the Ranger helps in a very easy installation. You only have one shot at it. ;)

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I think I’ll skip that one.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think I’ll skip that one.
That's the easy part of the installation;)
The truck professionals charge only $95 + per hour for accessory installations;)
The following is the hard part but for $20 + it is well worth it.

So far, the Tailgate light bar is fairly easy for a "do it yourselfer" but you need the proper tools to do the job right. The hardest part, other than the tailgate light bar placement, is connecting the lone, separate orange wire (optional) to your backup/reverse tail light to indicate on the tailgate light bar "white" with red for backing up or reverse. You need to "tap into or splice" but NOT CUT the wire going to one backup/reverse (white) light. In my Ranger XL, I observed that a green wire (left side tail light) was connected to the reverse/backup bulb. I followed this wire underneath the vehicle to a interconnect connector and just before this mating connector applied a tap/wire splice along with the "lone orange wire" to the "green" wire. Splice/tap connectors comes in many styles and are easy to apply with normal tools but for my vehicle I also added quick connect/disconnect crimp barrel/spade connectors for easy troubleshooting and easy device (tailgate lightbar) removal. This vendor's website has the tap/splice connectors along with any autoparts store. You need a special expensive lug crimper, for the quick connect/disconnect connectors but I also always use a solder gun to make a 100% "secure" electrical connection on the crimp connectors.
Note: If you are not using the optional "orange wire" just tape it back or heat shrink it to prevent electrical problems and by doing so eliminated the hardest part of the tailgate light bar installation eg the backup/reverse tailgate light bar white/red light show indication won't function!;)

Last edited:

Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my write up of the PUTCO Blade tailgate LED light bar:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/4th-brake-light-turn-signals-backup-running-wiring.2612/

Below are daylight pictures of the Lightbar in operation (the video was too big to upload). There is a very notable difference in brightness between the PUTCO Blade and the Superbright LED bar! We had issues with wiring the PUTCO and finally had to use a Tenkosha adapter, numbers are in my post.

BTW the PUTCO has a 3 year warranty.

0BFBF1FB-239D-4B46-8F55-EEE3FA8EF00E.png

3C3702A5-303F-4561-A3CE-A2B9F8AE567E.png

1E9E94F4-F481-4137-9240-6FA12E201C1D.png
Sponsored