Accelerated and nothing

South Florida Ranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I was getting on the highway the other day. I was accelerating and a Lady cut in front of me. I took my foot off the pedal and allowed some engine braking and once I went to get back on the gas there was nothing. Felt like the truck stalled but didn’t but for like 5 seconds. I stepped on the gas and nothing. I did this several times Then it finally caught and I was able to continue.
Sponsored

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
I was getting on the highway the other day. I was accelerating and a Lady cut in front of me. I took my foot off the pedal and allowed some engine braking and once I went to get back on the gas there was nothing. Felt like the truck stalled but didn’t but for like 5 seconds. I stepped on the gas and nothing. I did this several times Then it finally caught and I was able to continue.

I have no idea what is going on there man, but it would absolutely concern me (safety wise). Do any of the former Ford employees here have any idea? This sounds quite dangerous.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea what is going on there man, but it would absolutely concern me (safety wise). Do any of the former Ford employees here have any idea? This sounds quite dangerous.
Hi,

Not sure what is happening here but I agree it is a safety concern... My guess is the Blow Off Valve stuck open and you lost boost pressure... I would have the dealer take a look and see if there are any trouble codes. At a minimum, I would have then verify the Blow Off Valve is functioning correctly...The OEM part is on-off...no modulation...There are aftermarket BOV kits that do modulate the boost but I cannot vouch for any of them if they really work or not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking what some people tell me and to make a long story short, after looking at their drive history in scan data, their left foot was gently resting on the brake while trying to accelerate at the same time. That shuts off throttle control temporarily.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Sounds pretty normal assuming that the 5 seconds is an exaggeration. With a turbo if you press the gas, let full off, then hit the gas again you'll get nowhere fast since the turbo takes time to spin up. If you try to remedy the issue by releasing the gas and stomping on it again the issue will only continue until you hold the gas down long enough for the turbo to start.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
What happened was the Boost diverter valve opened and dumped all your boost from the turbo, that's is job, it protects the engine from excessive boost. When you came off the gas a solenoid was active on the diverter and it opened, wide open to be exact, and it dumped your boost. After it closed boost had to rebuild to give you the power you required, it may have seemed like forever but it wasn't more than two seconds or so, unless you again took your foot off the gas and stomped the accelerator again thus opening the valve a second time. This valve is either full closed or full open, there is no in-between.
There is a solution (or solutions). When you experience loss of boost from having to suddenly having to lift your foot, roll back on the gas slowly or if you "stomp it" don't re-lift your foot and wait for the valve to close and boost to build.
The other solution is to buy a progressive Diverter Valve. Most 2.3L Ecoboost fans (Mustang, Focus, Ranger and others) use the GFB DV+ P/N T9358. There is a thread in the 2.3L EcoBoost Engine, Exhaust, Tuning, Bolt-Ons forum. One of our Sponsors sells this valve and you can find it on Amazon also. Read through the thread and decide for yourself.
I installed one yesterday and it was easy as can be.
Sponsored