Snorkels

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What are the options for snorkels on the 5th Gen Ranger? Is the Ranger Basecamp type snorkel available anywhere?
Sponsored

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The snorkel on the 'base camp' ranger at SEMA is just one made for the International T6 Ranger. If you search 'T6 Ranger Snorkel' on ebay or aliexpress you will probably find it.

You could probably use it but will probably need a different pipe from the snorkel to the intake.

OP
OP

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Thanks a lot for the help! Do you have any idea if anyone here has installed one on an American Ranger?

First Name
QBALASKA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Ford is supposed to come out with one in the near future and already has a part number for it. I am watching for it because it looks like it fits in place of the factory insert on the front quarter panel.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
This is a video I watched some time ago, it seems to require the standard amount of cutting that most snorkels do, obviously the inside plumbing would vary from the diesel.

But there are lots of pic.s like this that appear to use the stock opening as well, google "ranger snorkel install" and vids and pics will come up.

Ranger-T6-08-11-Onwards-Diesel-P5AT.jpg_350x350.jpg

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Why would snorkel intake not be pointed toward back of car? In the rain this would be a water catcher.

Also with out other water proofing forging high water is not good for engine correct. Not like Ford built the Ranger to Army grade.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Why would snorkel intake not be pointed toward back of car? In the rain this would be a water catcher.

Also with out other water proofing forging high water is not good for engine correct. Not like Ford built the Ranger to Army grade.
What I remember seeing was it was more for dust than water - getting it up higher was trying to eliminate sucking in some of the dust when going off road - not really for getting it above water - I think the Ranger was rated to go thru 30" of water? That seems a little high though. I do remember seeing a video a while ago where they talked about how deep of water you can go thru. It was deeper than I expected but certainly isn't military grade.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What I remember seeing was it was more for dust than water - getting it up higher was trying to eliminate sucking in some of the dust when going off road - not really for getting it above water - I think the Ranger was rated to go thru 30" of water? That seems a little high though. I do remember seeing a video a while ago where they talked about how deep of water you can go thru. It was deeper than I expected but certainly isn't military grade.
Hi Folks,

Yep...we do run this test for all trucks and during this water testing we have had mishaps in the past...Particularly the early prototype 7.3L Diesel F-Series...We hydraulically locked the engine and blew the crankshaft out of the oil pan..Oops!...intake needs work. A baffle added to the intake solved the problem, but that original poor engine took a big hit. Yanked it out of the vehicle and sent it to the scrap heap...not even worth dissecting

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

800mm of water or 31.5"...best in class:like:
That is the video I was thinking of. That is impressive... I know it is a marketing video, but it is still impressive. And leaving it running in the 31.5" of water with a ton of payload for two hours! Amazing.....

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
But why face forward to take in more rain? I know it has baffles but why test it. The ram air gain will not help with all the bends. Cleaner air if snorkel facing back. Also fewer bugs pulled in and filter stays clean longer.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
without arguing all your points about direction, consider this....air is essential for combustion.

do you want the engine to struggle for it, or not?
and it looks better facing forward. that alone solves the conundrum.
Struggling.
My point. Forward would be a bug catcher. Better to clog filter.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The snorkel's been around a lot longer than our forum...it's works for a reason or it wouldn't exist...

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I could be wrong, but Iā€™ve never seen a snorkel that faced backward; but I havenā€™t put much thought to itā€™s direction before either. Itā€™s forward to catch as much air for the engine as possible. Iā€™ve never owned a vehicle with a snorkel but Iā€™d imagine that rain prevention has been thought of and accounted for.
Sponsored