Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark,

Okay.. OBD2 codes are required by the Fed's. The parameters that trip a MIL light are defined by the manufacturer to get you to the dealership. Engine shut down is not EVER permitted by Ford. Your situation appears to be unique as this forum would light up like a bilboard if common. Please tell the tech at the dealership exact experiences as well as any modifications. This is not an expected event.

Why did you hookup an OBD2 reader..tell the tech why.

Your problem needs to be addressed ASAP, in my opinion, and every detail you can provide will help

Sad you are having any problems.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
Sponsored

Tom2870

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Lariat SuperCab, 1970 VW Beetle
Occupation
Retired
Today while highway driving I pulled out to pass a car. Pre collision kicked in to warn, then the engine died, all the traction control warnings, hill start assist, high coolant temp,airbag warnings, etc. Cycled thru over and over. Unable to restart while moving. So I pulled over to shoulder, shut truck down and restarted fine. No issue. Had torque running at the time so I looked at coolant temp highs and it was only 201. Probably gonna need to chat with dealer on this one, but thought I would toss it out on the off chance anyone else has witnessed this.
Today while highway driving I pulled out to pass a car. Pre collision kicked in to warn, then the engine died, all the traction control warnings, hill start assist, high coolant temp,airbag warnings, etc. Cycled thru over and over. Unable to restart while moving. So I pulled over to shoulder, shut truck down and restarted fine. No issue. Had torque running at the time so I looked at coolant temp highs and it was only 201. Probably gonna need to chat with dealer on this one, but thought I would toss it out on the off chance anyone else has witnessed this.
Did your get this problem resolved? If so what was the problem?

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Waze works with Android Auto (through USB cable) as well as Torque Pro (4.95). It does look pretty cool.
So how does torque pro work with Android Auto? I have the pro app and use it all the time. If I can get it on the display I'd be even more happy.

(I do keep my phone connected via USB for Android auto often too)

OP
OP

Wngsprnt50

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
I have done a lot of background work and have determined it is a bad line of code in my software upgrade. So for now until the developer figures it out, I use the software in town and run stock if I have to highway drive. It’s really hard to drive the truck in stock mode knowing there is so much more available from the power train.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So it was all due to aftermarket bootleg software? A little misleading.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have done a lot of background work and have determined it is a bad line of code in my software upgrade. So for now until the developer figures it out, I use the software in town and run stock if I have to highway drive. It’s really hard to drive the truck in stock mode knowing there is so much more available from the power train.
Hi Mark,

It would appear that you did not provide a key piece of information relative to your problem. Thanks for the info that showed that when you tune your software you are on your own with respect to the results...buyer beware. I have been part of the exhaustive prove out of software that these so called "tuners" offer untested
These people simply can't spend the time or money to get it right.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
What tuner and software were you running?

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
I have a somewhat similar issue with mine. Bought it 7/20 and it's been at the dealership since 7/26. They are unable to figure out what it might be and are having to get Ford involved. Outside of the blinker making the door ajar sound, it also returns the same few system errors each ignition cycle:
Forward Collision Warning
Hill Start Assist Warning
Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power
Restraint Indicator Lamp Warning

They still have the truck, and Ford has reprogrammed the BCM but after a day of seeming like it was resolved the issues came back as soon as they drove it up front for me to take it home. I'd like them to just replace the BCM. At this point, they've had it and put more miles on it than I have.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
This thread needs to be moved, since it was caused by the OP's 'upgrade' versus a known Ranger problem. As far as we know, there is no known case of 'Random Shutdown'.
Sponsored