New owner basic xl Sync

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
still trying to understand how the basic sync operates, After reading posts on here I realize that the app link don’t work on this model but I thought your text would show up on the 4.2 screen. I got it checked but all I get is a sound when someone sends a text and if music is playing on iPhone the message is too low on screen . Thanks Ron
Sponsored

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
The music apps like Pandora should work (iPhone must be plugged in to USB, apps actively running in foreground or background on the phone) if I remember correctly. SMS also should work, assuming you have enabled the "Show Notifications" option on the Bluetooth settings. It's been quite a while since i used a 4" though, so I could be talking out of my rear.

OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
The music apps like Pandora should work (iPhone must be plugged in to USB, apps actively running in foreground or background on the phone) if I remember correctly. SMS also should work, assuming you have enabled the "Show Notifications" option on the Bluetooth settings. It's been quite a while since i used a 4" though, so I could be talking out of my rear.
Thanks for reply, I was hoping to see Waze on my screen and wonder if CarPlay is installed or if I bought it would it bring up waze. Humm

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
Thanks for reply, I was hoping to see Waze on my screen and wonder if CarPlay is installed or if I bought it would it bring up waze. Humm
You won't get on screen graphics like maps or album art. If I understand it correctly, app link let's an app understand the standardized voice commands built into the radio (rather than engaging Siri to interact with the app).

If you want CarPlay you'll need a separate radio. I'm not sure if there are mounting brackets available for the Ranger yet, though. I couldn't find any when I looked a couple of months back.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462350/Apple-CarPlay-Compatible-Receivers.html?tp=72357&avf=N

OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
You won't get on screen graphics like maps or album art. If I understand it correctly, app link let's an app understand the standardized voice commands built into the radio (rather than engaging Siri to interact with the app).

If you want CarPlay you'll need a separate radio. I'm not sure if there are mounting brackets available for the Ranger yet, though. I couldn't find any when I looked a couple of months back.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462350/Apple-CarPlay-Compatible-Receivers.html?tp=72357&avf=N

Thanks foulmouf, just hoping but not a deal breaker. If I could get email/text. I would be a happy camper. Contacted chat 3 times. Reset 2 times and can’t get iphone to recognize sync. Just keeps spinning

foulmouf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Cab STX Fx4
I get text alerts with mine. I don't recall any particular setup. I just plugged the iPhone into the front USB port. The Ranger saw it and had to index it (presumably for the music, app, and other meta data) and it just worked from there.

OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
I get a beep. Saying I have s text. It shows on cell but can’t read with music (iTunes) as song is playing. Just talked to ford and they said voice activated text. Haven’t tried yet thanks again for feedback

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get a beep. Saying I have s text. It shows on cell but can’t read with music (iTunes) as song is playing. Just talked to ford and they said voice activated text. Haven’t tried yet thanks again for feedback
Couple options. If you've got it set up to send the messages to SYNC (Show Notifications option on on the Bluetooth settings), you can press the talk switch as say "Listen to Message", I think you can trigger a read with the OK knob (someone call me out if I'm wrong, it's been a while on a 4" for me), or you can long press the talk switch to get to Siri (also needs to be enabled on the phone) to have it read out that way.

OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
Couple options. If you've got it set up to send the messages to SYNC (Show Notifications option on on the Bluetooth settings), you can press the talk switch as say "Listen to Message", I think you can trigger a read with the OK knob (someone call me out if I'm wrong, it's been a while on a 4" for me), or you can long press the talk switch to get to Siri (also needs to be enabled on the phone) to have it read out that way.
Sounds about right, everything I read on sync3 is for touchscreen. Can’t find anything on 4.2 ranger screen. Looking in Q&A on ford pass. It don’t include Ranger yet. Talked to 3 chats and all gave me different answers

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds about right, everything I read on sync3 is for touchscreen. Can’t find anything on 4.2 ranger screen. Looking in Q&A on ford pass. It don’t include Ranger yet. Talked to 3 chats and all gave me different answers
I believe even XL 100A has the embedded modem for hotspot as well as FordPass. Have you tried to link to the VIN via the FordPass app to get it set up?

OP
OP

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
I believe even XL 100A has the embedded modem for hotspot as well as FordPass. Have you tried to link to the VIN via the FordPass app to get it set up?
Talked to ford chat again and she told me that this Sync3 system does not show on screen but is voice activated. Sent text to phone and pushed button on steering wheel and Siri voiced the message. I’m ok with that as the screen is a little too small to read. Tks for all the posts related to this
Sponsored