OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Yeah, I would have replaced the leaf springs... ( I still might ;))
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It was the same, first dealership that had it 10 days and said they wouldn’t fix it :/.
Hi Gavin,

Glad you stuck to your guns and got it worked on! Congrats! Agreee with Jeff on the bandaid but I think it is a Ford Authorized repair technique..not sure but usually dealer won't do such on a new vehicle that is not authorized..

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Gavin stevens

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Still higher in right side (stick for measuring purposes)

F343B181-8809-4C86-A12A-AC72AED17D47.jpeg

6C0742AA-1E44-427E-B533-D95277E5B110.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Gavin,

If you do in fact replace the left spring. When you remove the old spring, compare the "free length/ height"...would be interesting to see if the old spring was out of wack before an install on your truck...I really do not think shimming is such a bad thing as long as it is an approved Ford 'repair". As for aftermarket, we aligned our Off Road teams with National Spring...They are/Were? a top drawer supplier...

Like the running boards...Are they frame mounted or body mounted?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I noticed my truck has the shim from the factory, 1st pic is the driver's side.
My truck was built in March so they knew about the issue when you took yours in the 1st time.
IMG_20190818_162201.jpg
IMG_20190818_162243.jpg

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi...

Amazing...Now if this was really from the assembly plant, I would expect that there will be a TSB on this...The assembly plant does not do this on the fly...Truck Engineering has to have been alerted and there were likely tests run to ensure this is a proper "fix". There will also be a very detailed paper trail as well. Will be interesting.... Are you sure it was not added by the dealer?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Hi...

Amazing...Now if this was really from the assembly plant, I would expect that there will be a TSB on this...The assembly plant does not do this on the fly...Truck Engineering has to have been alerted and there were likely tests run to ensure this is a proper "fix". There will also be a very detailed paper trail as well. Will be interesting.... Are you sure it was not added by the dealer?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It could have been dealer....I was wrong for saying factory as I really don't know.

I am definitely bringing it to their attention & I will ask if they installed it. My truck isn't level either, it's only 1/4" lower on driver's side (front & rear) so I wasn't concerned at 1st but seeing the spacer changes everything.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It could have been dealer....I was wrong for saying factory as I really don't know.

I am definitely bringing it to their attention & I will ask if they installed it. My truck isn't level either, it's only 1/4" lower on driver's side (front & rear) so I wasn't concerned at 1st but seeing the spacer changes everything.
Hi Justin,

Thanks...I am not challenging you but trying to understand this phenom that affects a small percentage of vehicles. I hope the dealer is honest with you on this. In looking at your pictures it does not show that there is any shiny spots on the U bolt nuts that indicate an impact wrench was used so do suspect it was at the plant. If it is indeed the plant, then I have a good feeling that this has been thoroughly tested before the plant was authorized to install a shim... Please keep us in the loop on this as the archive of such info is key for other Ranger owners.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I noticed my truck has the shim from the factory, 1st pic is the driver's side.
My truck was built in March so they knew about the issue when you took yours in the 1st time.
Damn you @User79. I just *had* to go out and look out of curiosity and since my truck was built in March. I have a drivers side shim as well and I can tell you with 1000% assurance that my dealer did not install it. Would be cool if @P. A. Schilke knew someone at the factory that could describe the issue.

20190818_151154.jpg

20190818_151210.jpg

That's as far as i care to measure. Passes my eyeball test. Serenity Now!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Damn you @User79. I just *had* to go out and look out of curiosity and since my truck was built in March. I have a drivers side shim as well and I can tell you with 1000% assurance that my dealer did not install it. Would be cool if @P. A. Schilke knew someone at the factory that could describe the issue.

20190818_151154.jpg

20190818_151210.jpg

You made me go look as well! I also have a shim on the drivers side and my truck was built in March as well.

The mystery deepens....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

20190818_151154.jpg

20190818_151210.jpg

Hi,

Wish I could help but with the current structure of Ford Turck engineering the Australians are in charge and I have no contacts that be able to explain what is going on with this spacer. I have been out of Ford for 17 years and most if not all of my coconspirators are also retired. Thus I too am an outsider...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

Wish I could help but with the current structure of Ford Turck engineering the Australians are in charge and I have no contacts that be able to explain what is going on with this spacer. I have been out of Ford for 17 years and most if not all of my coconspirators are also retired. Thus I too am an outsider...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
It would be interesting to know if the spacers are least consistent - at least on Lariats. We've got at least 3 Lariats that have the driver side spacer.
Sponsored