Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Through the fender. It's not nearly the big deal the Toyota-sponsored media made it out to be.
That's what I thought...about to do my first change this weekend...I'm assuming that steering tire to full right should give me access without taking off the wheel right? Do I need an extended tool to reach in and grab the filter?
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I thought...about to do my first change this weekend...I'm assuming that steering tire to full right should give me access without taking off the wheel right? Do I need an extended tool to reach in and grab the filter?
Turning the wheel isn't really required. I would say the perfect scenario would be a socket-type filter wrench and a few ratchet extensions. But there's enough room for the standard strap type wrench as well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like this should be fairly easy job...and my first oil change without a jack...my other two cars are 3" off the ground :LOL:

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
Some 2019 Ranger users should be nearing the 10K mileage mark anytime soon.
Any issues with the oil/filter change?
I purchased the service manual as I do for every vehicle I own. There is a skid plate that needs to be removed below the engine to drain the oil without making a mess. No big deal.

The hardest part was removing the filter. I did not remove the front left tire and I see no need to.

After removing the plastic splash shield fasteners the challenge was unscrewing the filter from the factory. I ended up using a 3/8" socket wrench extension connected to a Cap Filter Wrench. The one I used (which no longer has a label) was larger than the 76mm cap filter wrench needed to install the Ford FL910S.

Then I used the 76mm cap filter wrench to tighten the new filter 3/4 - 1 turn after contact. The issue is with the tire remaining on the vehicle, most normal people will not be physically strong enough to twist off the filter by hand. Ford did a great job with putting a tough a the base of the filter so that the oil runs down a gutter to your oil pan. Be slow and deliberate and you should not make a mess. Clean the trough when you are done so it doesn't collect dirt from the residual oil.

godsend1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-350 2012 Kia Optima 1986 Yamaha Vmax
Occupation
Uplinker

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Did the oil change today. Wasn’t too bad. If you have a belly you’ll want to jack it up a bit or put it on ramps. I was able to get under there but I realized it might be time to take up jogging.

A couple things: noted across a few posts to aggregate in one spot:
  • The skid plates bolts are 15mm
  • The oil pan drain bolt is also 15mm
  • The ADP-107 adapter uses a 3/4” open end
  • The 107N Valve uses a 17mm open end
  • The oil filter is on there TIGHT as everyone else said. I was able to get it off by wearing some of the orange gloves from Home Depot to get a good grip and get some leverage by using my left hand.
  • 6.2 quarts was perfect with the filter.
  • If you bought the fork tools to do the door panel, they work great to get the plastic rivers out of the fender.
Remember to rest your oil life monitor!

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did the oil change today. Wasn’t too bad. If you have a belly you’ll want to jack it up a bit or put it on ramps. I was able to get under there but I realized it might be time to take up jogging.

A couple things: noted across a few posts to aggregate in one spot:
  • The skid plates bolts are 15mm
  • The oil pan drain bolt is also 15mm
  • The ADP-107 adapter uses a 3/4” open end
  • The 107N Valve uses a 17mm open end
  • The oil filter is on there TIGHT as everyone else said. I was able to get it off by wearing some of the orange gloves from Home Depot to get a good grip and get some leverage by using my left hand.
  • 6.2 quarts was perfect with the filter.
  • If you bought the fork tools to do the door panel, they work great to get the plastic rivers out of the fender.
Remember to rest your oil life monitor!
How do you reset the oil monitor? Thanks!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Some pics you might find helpful:

View from the fender with the inner liner removed, staring into the abyss of the removed oil filter. Note the old filter gasket was still attached here, remember to make sure it is removed (funny story behind this I'll share another time).

IMG_5009.jpeg

A view under the truck at how much room there is. If you are skinny, you won't have any issues. If you had a big breakfast, maybe wait a couple hours...

IMG_5015.jpeg

This is the skid plate you have to remove. FOUR 15mm bolts.
IMG_5008.jpeg

The Fumuto Brothers. The ADP-107 takes a 3/4" open end and the Valve itself takes a 17mm open end.

IMG_5011.jpeg

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
How do you reset the oil monitor? Thanks!
Its in the Gauge cluster menu. I don't remember the exact main menu (Settings?), but the submenu is Oil Life Reset or something similar. Not too hard to find.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cool...thanks for all your pics and detailed info...I got side tracked with garage cleaning and postponed the oil change till next week end...this will coming in very handy:like::please:

viator36

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Lariat Lightning Blue
It's not listed as fitting, but it definitely fits. I've had mine in for 5K miles now, and it's completely fine. Also run the M1-212A which is basically the same thing.
Just want to mention that I was trying to change motor oil for my Ranger and the M1-212A filter does not fit. The thread hole is too large, it doesn't even touch the engine side threaded post and the filter goes all the way in and the rubber sealing ring touches the metal back wall. I have to return it. Autozone website says the STP S3614XL fits. I need to get oil change done today so I'll just go with it this time.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Just want to mention that I was trying to change motor oil for my Ranger and the M1-212A filter does not fit. The thread hole is too large, it doesn't even touch the engine side threaded post and the filter goes all the way in and the rubber sealing ring touches the metal back wall. I have to return it. Autozone website says the STP S3614XL fits. I need to get oil change done today so I'll just go with it this time.
I'm sorry that happened, let me look at which ones I have, perhaps it's a different one.

I do have a pile of 212A's, I thought they were from my Focus ST... But you are correct, the hole is bigger, and it's probably for my Edge...

EDIT: They are for the Edge... My bad...

I think I used M1-102 on the Focus, but I can't find any of the boxes, and I still have like 10 FL-400S filters from the last time I got them cheap.

Last edited:

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change done with new mity vac, I am impressed - got exactly 5 L out and that took around 15 minutes to suck the old out. Mobil 1 full synthetic as I always run. M102a Mobil 1 filter went in easily after moving the fender wall flap. Nice oil catcher on the ranger to catch the drips from the filter.

83AD9DBB-6A95-4AA8-9DDB-662C4E28FD55.jpeg

Last edited:

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
5b. Remove filter which was installed with the force of 2 fully matured gorillas, let drain into pan.
I'd always heard they had the Hulk at the factory putting them on.

I guess when i do my oil change i can compare my girth to the others here by how hard of a time i have fitting under my truck without jacking it up :crackup:
Sponsored