On board Air setup on your Ranger

Dan Ordoins

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I’ve been using my Dewalt cordless air compressor. Able to air up from 15-40 psi in 20 seconds per tire. Decided it was the best if both worlds in compromise instead of installing one on the truck.
My dealer is having mine, an Dual ARB with reserve tank installed underneath with outlets at the front and rear of the truck. And with a control switch in the cab. Going to be nice! Will be able to run power tools with it too. My dealer works through a local 4 Wheel Parts store and is doing it as part of my upgrade package.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KnightRanger

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer is having mine, an Dual ARB with reserve tank installed underneath with outlets at the front and rear of the truck. And with a control switch in the cab. Going to be nice! Will be able to run power tools with it too. My dealer works through a local 4 Wheel Parts store and is doing it as part of my upgrade package.
Very nice! share pics when you get a chance.:)
I also have the dual ARB with a one gal tank. Its awesome, and can run air tools as well.
( no issue removing wheel lugs, if needed )

Mike in UT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow pkg, Extang Trifecta 2.0 Tonneau cover, Rhino Liner, Lift Gate Assist, Ford black running boards
Occupation
IT technician, retired soldier (11B, 19D)
I just bought my truck on Thursday.
I'm using a Ryobi tire inflator right now, with a 12v battery charger and a big battery that I can also use with my Ryobi 1/2-in Impact Wrench.
I'm looking for something else long term, but it works pretty good for now. I keep them in a small bag I just put in the truck if I'm going to go anywhere interesting.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Tool-Only-P261/205885687
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...ger-for-use-with-12V-DC-Outlet-P131/100342149
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...P-High-Capacity-Battery-2-Pack-P164/305571990

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
are the cord and hose on that long enough to reach all the tires without an extension cord?
No, I also carry a small 10' extension cord.
That outlet is only 150w...if you haven't already, you might want to check what your pump uses.
Got a screw in my tire, I've already used it with no issues.

Reactions: EJH

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I decided I needed air onboard. No lockers or airbags here, but I recover enough old equipment and work on enough stuff out in the field that I thought it would be worthwhile. I'm going for a permanent install.

I didn't spend too much time researching, as it's pretty clear that this ARB CKMA12 unit is the way to go for me. If you've never handled one, it is really solid. The motor is serious business - it's basically a mower starter.

This will turn into several posts along the way, as it's going to be a several night project.

IMG_0376.JPG

Sorry, my lunch is all you get for scale. It's pretty small, I thought.
IMG_0377.JPG

I am mounting behind the left headlight. There's room, but it's tight.
IMG_0387.JPG

Notice the angle of the two holes at the top. This follows the core support. The yellow zinc plate came with the ARB kit; everything else I had around the shop. I don't plan to put nuts on the bottom two screws, they can just be locating pins.
IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who has the Dual ARB want to share where they ended up mounting it?

I like the idea of putting it underneath somewhere.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Couplers mounted. The front location did not require drilling; there’s an empty hole on the passenger side of the lower grille opening. The rear location did require drilling. Both are easily accessible yet out of the way and not visually bothersome. And they would totally disappear if you shot them with a bit of black paint.

E22B4168-B23A-4671-B940-491F02693F00.jpeg

D3A12157-C966-48FC-ADEC-D9DE9220D43F.jpeg

07A2B68C-1F1F-4379-ABF0-FBB0B851C0C0.jpeg

75A57DFE-2C5E-49D9-9127-84CA2DF9D49B.jpeg

Wschnitz

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Looks sick, thats exactly what I want to do, so I never have to open hood to get the coil, just pull the hose out and plug it in.

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Does this compressor turn on and off with pressure? It appears the aluminum housing might be a small air tank but I can't tell for sure. Otherwise the way your system is designed you'd be dead heading the compressor, right?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Does this compressor turn on and off with pressure? It appears the aluminum housing might be a small air tank but I can't tell for sure. Otherwise the way your system is designed you'd be dead heading the compressor, right?
The CKMA12 that I installed on my Jeep 3 years ago had and OEM pressure cutoff on it. Page 4 of this manual shows a pressure cut out switch: https://www.catalograck.com/ImgVD/ARB/CKMA12_24I.PDF

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The aluminum tube is indeed the "tank". Obviously it is very small. Having an additional tank mounted elsewhere would be recommended.
Sponsored