First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about your experience OP.
Our Ranger drives like a car, and handles like a mid size SUV on and off road.
Bumps and potholes can be felt, but not as you described.
The FX4 suspension is a bit on the soft side at times, but handles and soaks bumps,
pot holes and even deep ruts well.
Again, like others have suggested, have the dealer take a look at the issue.
Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Phil

My truck is a super-cab 2wd, the tires are Bridgestone duelers set to the factory recommended 35 PSI. 255/65/17
I have found tire racks survey ratings to be spot on, as they are compiled from a large set of verified customers who actually own the particular tire. The score compilation they provide has not let me down yet, and I have always improved the overall comfort and handling of my vehicles by buying a good tire. I still find it unethical that Ford would put a B rated wet traction tire on any vehicle, but especially a tire rated as all season.
If you truly think your tires are a POS and Ford made "unethical" decisions to use these tires, why don't you just buy new ones? If you were truly so worried about your safety, $500 for a new set is a tiny price to pay for your life.

Can't get yourself to get new tires since the OEM ones are so new? Looks like you're blowing things out of proportion man.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
If you truly think your tires are a POS and Ford made "unethical" decisions to use these tires, why don't you just buy new ones? If you were truly so worried about your safety, $500 for a new set is a tiny price to pay for your life.

Can't get yourself to get new tires since the OEM ones are so new? Looks like you're blowing things out of proportion man.
Can sell the tires and recoup some of the money back too.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Love the ride of my Supercrew FX4. It's what sold me on the truck and I drove ALL the others.

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Sorry to hear about your experience OP.
Our Ranger drives like a car, and handles like a mid size SUV on and off road.
Bumps and potholes can be felt, but not as you described.
The FX4 suspension is a bit on the soft side at times, but handles and soaks bumps,
pot holes and even deep ruts well.
Again, like others have suggested, have the dealer take a look at the issue.
The dealer "looked" at it.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Phil

My truck is a super-cab 2wd, the tires are Bridgestone duelers set to the factory recommended 35 PSI. 255/65/17
I have found tire racks survey ratings to be spot on, as they are compiled from a large set of verified customers who actually own the particular tire. The score compilation they provide has not let me down yet, and I have always improved the overall comfort and handling of my vehicles by buying a good tire. I still find it unethical that Ford would put a B rated wet traction tire on any vehicle, but especially a tire rated as all season.
Tire rack doesn't have this tire rated yet. At this time there is only 3 customer reviews.....the lowest miles driven being 60,000 & rated 4 star & up.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/T+685

You were probably looking at an older version of the dueler h/t tire. I personally like this tire.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer "looked" at it.
CDV,

When we developed the FX4...you are experiencing exactly what we did. The on road suspension is soft and supple. Now go out and pound the heck out of the truck and it performs outstandingly..This is how off road racers do it..my vehicle dynamics engineer, Doug S was at the races with me and I embedded him with the teams to learn. This is the FX4 brand...If you do not like the ride, rest assured when you offroad it, it comes alive...Way different shock valving from standard Rangers. Almost BackAssward...from normal philosophy of shock valving for various Trucks. Also, I imparted my philosophy from my being a racecar driver. Soft springs, BIG Sway Bars and shocks to control the springs. This also worked when I was a NASCAR Team engineer for a short time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Reiterd

OP
OP
Cerwin D. Vega

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
CDV,

When we developed the FX4...you are experiencing exactly what we did. The on road suspension is soft and supple. Now go out and pound the heck out of the truck and it performs outstandingly..This is how off road racers do it..my vehicle dynamics engineer, Doug S was at the races with me and I embedded him with the teams to learn. This is the FX4 brand...If you do not like the ride, rest assured when you offroad it, it comes alive...Way different shock valving from standard Rangers. Almost BackAssward...from normal philosophy of shock valving for various Trucks. Also, I imparted my philosophy from my being a racecar driver. Soft springs, BIG Sway Bars and shocks to control the springs. This also worked when I was a NASCAR Team engineer for a short time...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Reiterd
Phil,

I really enjoy the historical perspective on the development of key elements of the Ranger that you provide. It is pretty cool that one of us here on R5G has actual skin in the game.

I did not order the FX4 package with my 4x4 XLT Sport in part due to the fact that at least 90% of my driving will not require even a hint of a need for the off road package. I recreate off pavement but tend to avoid the extremes for the most part. I had really come to enjoy the ride quality of my trade in and knew that off road packages have a negative effect on paved ride quality so even as nice as the FX4 tech is i made the right choice.

I have great confidence in the 4x4 capabilities of my Ranger, and can tell already that it will be considerably better than my trade in was in that regard. I will get her out there and have a little fun, but 16" wheels and significantly taller sidewalls are on tap first. Tires are here oem 16's are on the way.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I really enjoy the historical perspective on the development of key elements of the Ranger that you provide. It is pretty cool that one of us here on R5G has actual skin in the game.

I did not order the FX4 package with my 4x4 XLT Sport in part due to the fact that at least 90% of my driving will not require even a hint of a need for the off road package. I recreate off pavement but tend to avoid the extremes for the most part. I had really come to enjoy the ride quality of my trade in and knew that off road packages have a negative effect on paved ride quality so even as nice as the FX4 tech is i made the right choice.

I have great confidence in the 4x4 capabilities of my Ranger, and can tell already that it will be considerably better than my trade in was in that regard. I will get her out there and have a little fun, but 16" wheels and significantly taller sidewalls are on tap first. Tires are here oem 16's are on the way.
HI CDV,

Yep....Tires do make a big difference with sidewall flex....Big thing for OEM is that some of the aftermarked treads cause a ton of tire noise on road. In my old 70 year old body, I try to walk 3 miles each day in the desert on back roads that are sort of paved...I can here the modified 4x4s coming my way way before they see me as they are so noisy...These owners trade off the tire noise for better performance. OEM cannot really do this, so we leave it to the aftermarket.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retied

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I'm with Floyd on this one, I am also perplexed by the ride issues that some seem to have. I inflate the tires to 40 psi. What i do notice is a lack of shock damping in the diagonal direction when rolling slow, and diagonally, over a bump.. I think shocks with increased damping would be beneficial in that regard. The different video and print reviews are all over the map on ride quality, some say very good others poor.
I agree 110% on both. Good Bilstein shocks make a difference on anything. That being said, I don't think this truck came with complete garbage shocks. I have an FX4 and really like the ride. I'll likely not change my shocks until it gets 50k or more. I set my tires to 35 psi cold and feel this is where they should be. I feel this Ranger rides comparable to my old Frontier in side to side "sway" and better, in a big way, in straight line expansion joints and dirt roads. Reviews either say the ride is great or garbage. Some reviewers don't know rebound from compression. I believe automobile magazines as much as I believe CNN and Fox.

Last edited:

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
It's interesting to watch the review from Noah at Stage 3 Motorsports when he takes the FX4 Ranger offroad for the first time at Sedona...you can see how surprised he is by the good handling and he says as much. Then he says "I guess I shouldn't say that" since his company is there to make stuff to improve the ride.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Hmmm Interesting...We do have a gloved hand test procedure for the dash switches and buttons that must be part of the Final Signoff before production...Must have passed this test...Wonder what Motortrend used or maybe they just made an assumption without really trying?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired...

IMG_1385_1.jpg

The Real Deal....
We were looking at turning a 4WD Aerostar into a Hummer...still have pics of the clay in the court yard :giggle:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We were looking at turning a 4WD Aerostar into a Hummer...still have pics of the clay in the court yard :giggle:
Wow..never heard that! Not a platform I would have chosen....AWD Aerostar was an NVH nightmare for me...:frown:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired...

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder

Can't get yourself to get new tires since the OEM ones are so new? Looks like you're blowing things out of proportion man.[/QUOTE

Just imagine this scenario (hypothetical of course).
Hay Ford, Takata here; we can save you 20 bucks per truck if you install these "B" rated airbag inflaters in your new Ranger, what do you say ? Ford: sure, you did say 20 bucks right? What's the big deal ?

Now imagine this (not hypothetical).
If you're sooooo concerned about your safety, why don't you just spend 500 bucks to install "A" rated air bag inflaters in you're brand new truck, after all,how often does a owner of a vehicle actually experience an air bag deployment ? Looks like you're blowing things out of proportion man.
Sponsored