MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
Time for an update. I asked my dealer to fix this, way back when I posted this originally. Fixing it isn't a problem for me, but I didn't want to let them off the hook. Not surprisingly, my salesman didn't give a flip since the truck was out the door. Well those award-winning connections came apart and I was finally forced to fix it myself. I took the pulsing module out and soldered the connections. Then I typed up an invoice and mailed it to the dealer for an hour of labor for fixing it. I was hoping to get their attention one way or another.

You'll never believe this...

They paid it!!! :crackup:
Corwin Ford?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

When dealers do this sort of crap, it destroys the electrical integrity of the wiring harness. Our local dealer does something similar with a disabling device. Miss a payment and they can send out a signal to disable the vehicle. I caught this on one of my Escape vehicles. Unfortunately soldering is also not good from a vibratory standpoint...The only way to properly tap into an existing wiring harnesss is to use a crimp connector with integral shrink tubing and an adhesive. Terminal Supply sells them.

Back Story, I managed Ford's Off Road Racing for 25 of my 30 year career at Ford. At first I was dismayed at the failure rate of our Ford teams so embarked on an analysis of the failures...it turned out about 75% of the DNFs (Did Not Finish) were electrical related...so did a deep dive into the electrical system and found the same kind of hack stuff done with this flashing brake module. Brought in ReyChem rep and held a seminar for all the Ford teams on Friday evening before the race, making it a bar b que and presentation for all teams, both House Teams and independent...Got a Ford Oval on the hood, Welcome!...Got a brand X on the hood...AMF!

ReyChem guy showcased their products which are pricey but excellent for integrity. I even purchased starter kits for everyone to start changing how the racetrucks were wired. (side bar...I told the teams that Scotch Locks had no place anywhere on a racetruck) Just this one thing improved our finishing rate and the associated win rate as the trucks no longer DNF'd

Ok...back to the sidebar....Got out of a meeting and headed back to my office...My secretary, Carol informed me a guy from 3M called and was furious and wanted to lambast me for my statement on Scotch Locks. Called this fellow back. He spewed venom for a minute or two. I told him I was not going to get into a fight with him...I would send him or testing spec for OEM wiring harness testing. He can show me that a Scotch Lock met the specs, then I would rescind my statement. I give him credit as he called back and admitted a Scotch Lock could not meet those specs. I told him we were in this off road game to win not just finish but you can't win if you don't finish... My win rate was three times all the other manufactures combined for almost 20 years of racing. I was recognized by all the top brass at World Headquarters CEO on down at a gathering as I personally knew the Vice Chairman, Ed Hagenlocker. Bunch of back pats, but I told them the real value was we were developing engineers and learning from the race teams and that is how the FX4 came to mean something more than a decal on the flank of the truck. (I wrote another back story on the development of the FX4)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Time for an update. I asked my dealer to fix this, way back when I posted this originally. Fixing it isn't a problem for me, but I didn't want to let them off the hook. Not surprisingly, my salesman didn't give a flip since the truck was out the door. Well those award-winning connections came apart and I was finally forced to fix it myself. I took the pulsing module out and soldered the connections. Then I typed up an invoice and mailed it to the dealer for an hour of labor for fixing it. I was hoping to get their attention one way or another.

Good job!:handsinair:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4

Good on you man! That was some seriously shoddy and dare I say destructive electrical work they performed.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

That's amazing that they paid! Especially since it was not done by Ford Technician.

If I add something, I try my best (but don't always happen) to make a pigtail or harness that is plug and play for the accessory I am adding. That way if I ever want to go back to stock, all I have to do is unplug it and plug the original harness back in.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I think under normal braking it should not flash. But flashing under hard braking would help those behind know something is up.

Ranger rear lights are big, as some mention, but better to alert. Yes, does not prevent all accidents. Only time I was hit, it was from 4ft at a light and we both had been stopped. Older Taurus thought I had left. Hard to when still red.

Can still hurt from 4ft.

Jon S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Get used to seeing more of the “hyper blink led taillights” in the near future. There are several euro cars that already have this function in a “panic” stop. With LED tech continuing to be the norm, you are gonna see more of it. VW, Ferrari, MB, Lambo etc already use the technology. Incandescent bulbs can not flash that fast, so as we switch to more and more cars using LED tails, it’s gonna happen.....The US is ALWAYS behind. I am very surprised by that dealer installing without permission and wonder if FORD MOTOR CO. would be interested in knowing what they are doing.....
Sponsored