djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I am thinking that this issue may be related to the issue where people are questioning the existence of fake engine noise. I DEFINITELY hear the bizzing. I do NOT, however, hear any fake engine noise being piped in (EVER) but if that is part of the "Active Noise Cancellation", maybe I am hearing the buzzing more because my active noise cancellation is not working. Any thoughts?
I had originally theorized that the buzzing was coming through the speakers and thus thought it was possible that the issue was related to the rumored piping in of engine noise. The buzz to me sounded electronic. I tried pulling fuses to the speaker system to test that theory. I donā€™t think itā€™s related anymore. If you stick your ears up to a speaker the buzz doesnā€™t get louder. It gets louder when you stick your head under the steering wheel. So I think the noise is coming from the engine compartment. Just my opinion. Would love to get it figured out.
Sponsored

Hambone437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Magnetic Gray / 2020 Explorer Limited RWD Magnetic Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I had originally theorized that the buzzing was coming through the speakers and thus thought it was possible that the issue was related to the rumored piping in of engine noise. The buzz to me sounded electronic. I tried pulling fuses to the speaker system to test that theory. I donā€™t think itā€™s related anymore. If you stick your ears up to a speaker the buzz doesnā€™t get louder. It gets louder when you stick your head under the steering wheel. So I think the noise is coming from the engine compartment. Just my opinion. Would love to get it figured out.
Iā€™m convinced the sound is coming from the engine compartment. Iā€™m also convinced that Ford should recognize it as a sound that is troubling to many owners. Unfortunately, like many others that take their truck to the dealer, they are told the sound is ā€œnormalā€ for this engine. The fact that the sound seems to come and go would lead me to believe that it is not normal. But I got nowhere with my dealer. At least I have a record of taking it in so if in the future they do put out a TSB I can hopefully get it addressed and fixed.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I agree completely...it is coming from the engine compartment. The question is, why do some hear it and some don't? That's why I suggested the possibility that those who hear it don't have functional active noise cancellation and those who don't hear it have function ACN. This would explain why some hear the fake engine sounds and some don't (as stated in another thread). Either way, I agree, Ford needs to get this fixed. It is super annoying to have truck that sounds like a buzzy toy.

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
If you go on Mustang forums, some people have been saying the same thing for years. I am convinced that it is the 4 fuel injectors running at 1200+ PSI. It's like 10 times the pressure of a naturally aspirated engine. One might say it should be quieted down somehow, but this might be one of those "it is what it is". It's an Ecoboost turbo, that's what they sound like, just like a Harley sounds like a Harley and a Ducati sounds like a Ducati. I could be wrong of course, and maybe something will be discovered, but reading all the other ecoboost forums (over the last 10 years) this seems to be the nature of the beast.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you go on Mustang forums, some people have been saying the same thing for years. I am convinced that it is the 4 fuel injectors running at 1200+ PSI. It's like 10 times the pressure of a naturally aspirated engine. One might say it should be quieted down somehow, but this might be one of those "it is what it is". It's an Ecoboost turbo, that's what they sound like, just like a Harley sounds like a Harley and a Ducati sounds like a Ducati. I could be wrong of course, and maybe something will be discovered, but reading all the other ecoboost forums (over the last 10 years) this seems to be the nature of the beast.
Do they really run at 1200 PSI? If so - WOW!

dcgibs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 - 4x2 SuperCrew
One might say it should be quieted down somehow, but this might be one of those "it is what it is". It's an Ecoboost turbo, that's what they sound like
That's basically what the tech at my dealership said. I still feel like it could be reduced...or I just got unlucky and got an injector that was a little noisier than most, but still within spec.

It's a little like having this guy coming from under my hood:

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all! I just purchased my Ranger XL 4X4 Crew Magnetic on Saturday last week...Love this truck but this morning I heard this noise and was concerned. I thought it was the turbo as well. At any rate, I will be monitoring it in case it starts getting worse. I have been wanting a truck for years and the time finally came to get rid of my Subaru Legacy. After driving my dads F150 eco boost 3.5l and his Focus RS EcoBoost that he has modified to get 410 HP I had to go with a Ford EcoBoost. Not being able to afford the F150 4x4 I was stoked when the Ranger came out.

Cheers yall.

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Must be nice, I couldnt find a 4x4 F150 for 28k.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. Itā€™s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.
This video perfectly captures the "buzz" that hear from my truck too.

I have 5200 km (3200mi) on my truck and it isn't going away. Its definitely worse when cold. Ive got an appointment at the dealer to ask questions. It is definitely coming from the top of the engine by the injectors, the sound is loudest at around 2200 RPM and it sometimes stutters a little bit. I can hear the normal injector noise with the buzz following and stuttering over top. Drives me nuts, makes the truck sound cheap...

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I have 5200 km (3200mi) on my truck and it isn't going away. Its definitely worse when cold. Ive got an appointment at the dealer to ask questions. It is definitely coming from the top of the engine by the injectors, the sound is loudest at around 2200 RPM and it sometimes stutters a little bit. I can hear the normal injector noise with the buzz following and stuttering over top. Drives me nuts, makes the truck sound cheap...

Thanks for the follow-up. I have 5000 miles on my truck and still have the noise too. Itā€™s less noticeable in the summer. If your dealer has any explanation or solution please let us know here because Iā€™d love to address it and I know when it gets cold soon it will be even more noticeable.

bacon4bfast

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 302A
Hearing the same thing. Mainly in the morning, after work when the truck has sat in the sun all day it does not make the same sound. I wonder if it has something to do with the humidity?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

@heavily_attenuated, weā€™re you able to discuss the buzz with your dealer?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew
@heavily_attenuated, weā€™re you able to discuss the buzz with your dealer?
I just took it in yesterday. They agree that it doesn't sound right. They test drove 5 of the Rangers on their lot which all had the buzz, and concluded no fault found. "Must be characteristic of the engine'. But they admitted they were surprised to find it on all the trucks!
Sponsored