Is a DIY (Do It Yourself) oil/filter change worth it ?

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
My Ford dealer offers "The Works" - which I would have thought was standard across all Ford dealers. I just recently took my wifes Explorer in for this service, and it was $53.91. I'd just assume that it'll be basically the same when I need to take my Ranger in.
Same Here..
Went to the dealer yesterday for "The Works" (along with the rough shifting TSB 19-2052) and they charge $58.70. I'm in the Boston area.

IMG_0186.jpg
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I always like to do my own oil changes - it is easy, keeps my hands dirty and I know it was done properly with good quality oil and filters. If you go to the dealer, you should be able to assume they used quality parts, but I've still heard too many horror stories about oil changes even at dealers. I feel better if I know it was done correctly.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My Ford dealer offers "The Works" - which I would have thought was standard across all Ford dealers. I just recently took my wifes Explorer in for this service, and it was $53.91. I'd just assume that it'll be basically the same when I need to take my Ranger in.
Probably more as the Ranger oil change labor is more work than an Explorer. I hope not.

I'd like to go full synthetic which would cost more.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I've decided that I'm doing my own maintenance on my Ranger after years of letting Ford do my previous cars.

After bringing my old Focus in once and leaving without the belly pan, I decided that the peace of mind I get knowing it was done right is worth my time (besides, I was usually in there waiting upwards of an hour and a half anyway for them to do the oil change anyway, so if anything, it gets done quicker by me).

My question (and I'm sure I can look this up) is what kind of documentation (if any) does Ford require for their warranty when you DIY your oil changes? I've got the 7y/100k warranty and I don't want to give them any reason to try and null that in the future.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've decided that I'm doing my own maintenance on my Ranger after years of letting Ford do my previous cars.

After bringing my old Focus in once and leaving without the belly pan, I decided that the peace of mind I get knowing it was done right is worth my time (besides, I was usually in there waiting upwards of an hour and a half anyway for them to do the oil change anyway, so if anything, it gets done quicker by me).

My question (and I'm sure I can look this up) is what kind of documentation (if any) does Ford require for their warranty when you DIY your oil changes? I've got the 7y/100k warranty and I don't want to give them any reason to try and null that in the future.

I've never had to provide any records other than what I record on my own (Date, oil/filter used, mileage). Though I've never had an engine failure, let alone an engine failure due to lack of oil (or pump failure, etc).

I'd just keep a picture of each receipt in addition to the details I mentioned above.

I have 6 years/150K warranty that I bought during the sale.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
There are no Ford dealers in SF proper, this is the only Ford dealer for a 1+ million area population.

They take liberties because they can, they have no nearby competition.
There is ALWAYS a Lincoln dealer that will do maintenance on a Ford... :wink:

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
The Works is not always $49.95. Make sure you check with your local dealer BEFORE the work. Ask me how I know :curse:

Ford's Quick Lane: "The Works" $49.95 includes tire rotation and pressure check, brake inspection, vehicle inspection, fluid top-off, battery test, filter check, and belts and hoses check. <--- This is a great deal?

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
For me it is worth it. I use full synthetic oil & I do it myself because I used to work at a dealership where people would purchase full synthetic oil over the counter & leave it in their vehicle. The problem was the mechanic would put conventional oil in their vehicle & keep the full synthetic oil for their own vehicle. Customers were not getting what they paid for. I believe a turbocharged engine should use full synthetic as it is more heat resistant & does a better job of cleaning. Even with full synthetic I still change mine every 5000 miles.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The hassle of disposing of used oil is what does it for me.

I'm not driving around for a week with a pan of used oil in the bed while I try to find somebody to take it.

ChrisCARanger

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I don't even know why this is an issue. It's no worse than most cars.
How is it no worse than most cars? I have never had another vehicle that is so complicated to change an oil filter. It's pretty common knowledge that it's a Ford f up and a reason to not buy this truck if you like doing a normal oil change.

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

I'm not driving around for a week with a pan of used oil in the bed while I try to find somebody to take it.
In my neck of the woods, all auto parts stores take in used oil and oil filters, and also the local landfill's hazmat section. For no cost.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Wow - All I have to do it put it by the street and they come and pick it up with the other recycle stuff. Or, I could take it to just about any auto parts store too. Been that way for probably 10 years or more now.

I do oil changes in all our vehicles - saves a little money, I get to check them out, and I know it is done correctly with quality oil and filter.
Sponsored