Strange sounds coming from the engine, is this the normal sound of the ecoboost at idlie?

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi all,

About 30 miles into my new Ford Ranger I started hearing this strange sound coming from the engine. I'm pretty sure that I did not hear it when I test drove it and, if I did, it honestly wasn't pronounced enough for me to notice. Is this the normal sound of the ecoboost engine? Some have said a "buzzing sound," mine sounds like a VERY loud sewing machine. It gets louder when I accelerate / hit the gas on neutral.
Sponsored

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine makes that ticking sound too.
So is this the normal sound of an ecoboost engine? I have read that these could potentially be the GDI components in the engine?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
So is this the normal sound of an ecoboost engine? I have read that these could potentially be the GDI components in the engine?
Direct injection fuel pump probably.
Normal noise. Its that thing on top of the engine at the back, about the size of a baseball , festooned with tubes.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sound tends to go away once you reach like 30 mph speeds. Its really strange, I've been reading that its probably the GDI components. Apparently the buzzing sound is quite common in these types of engines. I guess people don't hear it / care much because other manufacturers spend more time / effort making sure the sound is covered up?

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Yup..the lovely sounds from direct injection. You probably didn't notice it because most of us don't notice all things annoying when we are buying something we want. Supposedly the Lariat engine cover mutes the sound which you can buy. Mine is fairly quiet, but since it's a familiar sound, I just block it out.

Remember when I was living overseas, I bought a little Honda 125 and brought it in because the fuel injection was so loud. Sounded like the valves were loose.

Anyway, if interested, look in this thread and this particular post if interested in ordering the engine cover: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ng-on-xl-and-xlt-trims.1563/page-3#post-18820

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup..the lovely sounds from direct injection. You probably didn't notice it because most of us don't notice all things annoying when we are buying something we want. Supposedly the Lariat engine cover mutes the sound which you can buy. Mine is fairly quiet, but since it's a familiar sound, I just block it out.

Remember when I was living overseas, I bought a little Honda 125 and brought it in because the fuel injection was so loud. Sounded like the valves were loose.

Anyway, if interested, look in this thread and this particular post if interested in ordering the engine cover: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ng-on-xl-and-xlt-trims.1563/page-3#post-18820
Ah yes, a beautiful sound indeed, lol. Well, glad its normal, sucks it sounds like a sewing machine at idle. At least I don't have to worry too much about it now. I can probably tune it out over time. Maybe ill buy the cover some day, but for now, if its not going to have any negative effect on the actual functioning of the truck, I can get over it. I was just worried that the sound meant something was wrong, or that I couldn't / shouldn't load the bed up. As I said in one of my earliest posts here, this truck needs to start hauling boxes and furniture pretty soon! I have about 1000lbs of payload just in boxes full of books!

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Mine sounds similar. I wasn't concerned because my Explorer Sport had a similar sound at Idle and EVERYONE in the Explorer Community as well as the dealer said it was normal and a result of the direct injection...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's really loud...I can barely hear mine...probably your camera but this is normal...

Last edited:

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

The engine cover seems to quiet it down in my XLT. I went from no cover to cover and you can tell the difference.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I ordered and installed the Lariat engine cover on my XLT, but I never had an issue with the noise before because of all the years i worked as a Diesel Mechanic. I have some diminished hearing because of all those years and could not really hear the clicking. Honestly I just did it to finish out the look of the engine compartment. :shock:

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Direct injection fuel pump probably.
Normal noise. Its that thing on top of the engine at the back, about the size of a baseball , festooned with tubes.
"festooned," such an overlooked verb in today's world! Glad to see it in action!

WVRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 2WD XL King Cab
Occupation
Locomotive Tech.advisor
Hi all,

About 30 miles into my new Ford Ranger I started hearing this strange sound coming from the engine. I'm pretty sure that I did not hear it when I test drove it and, if I did, it honestly wasn't pronounced enough for me to notice. Is this the normal sound of the ecoboost engine? Some have said a "buzzing sound," mine sounds like a VERY loud sewing machine. It gets louder when I accelerate / hit the gas on neutral.
I hear
Ah yes, a beautiful sound indeed, lol. Well, glad its normal, sucks it sounds like a sewing machine at idle. At least I don't have to worry too much about it now. I can probably tune it out over time. Maybe ill buy the cover some day, but for now, if its not going to have any negative effect on the actual functioning of the truck, I can get over it. I was just worried that the sound meant something was wrong, or that I couldn't / shouldn't load the bed up. As I said in one of my earliest posts here, this truck needs to start hauling boxes and furniture pretty soon! I have about 1000lbs of payload just in boxes full of books!
Me too....I was like that sounds like an H.O.. race car like kids have.....not good for noise haters like myself. But good to know not just mine.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
I made a video of this exact noise and was going to post it today, you beat me to it!

I'm happy to hear it's normal.
Sponsored