Gear Indicator on Right Side of Dashboard

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry If this is confusing or if it's been answered and I just missed it in my search of the forum. Somehow I enabled a Gear indicator on the right side of my Lariat dashboard where the Entertainment, Navigation and Phone menu's are with the time, compass and temperature gauge.

How I did it I have no idea but after restarting the vehicle it's gone and I'd like to have it back. Does anyone know how to re-enable this?

ranger-dashbaord.jpg
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry If this is confusing or if it's been answered and I just missed it in my search of the forum. Somehow I enabled a Gear indicator on the right side of my Lariat dashboard where the Entertainment, Navigation and Phone menu's are with the time, compass and temperature gauge.

How I did it I have no idea but after restarting the vehicle it's gone and I'd like to have it back. Does anyone know how to re-enable this?

ranger-dashbaord.jpg
When in Drive, you press the shift button on the shifter and it appears. From there you can limit the upper gears it can go into by pressing the button down. Only remains like that until you shut down the engine and then it resets. I think it also appears when you shift into Sport mode.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine comes back after some key cycles but I can’t pin it down to why. I turn it on every time. I wish we could choose to leave it on permanently.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mine comes back after some key cycles but I can’t pin it down to why. I turn it on every time. I wish we could choose to leave it on permanently.
Agreed - mine seems to come on for the next key cycle but then I have to turn it on again. I wish it were configurable to always come on.

OP
OP
Shavlik

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all!

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring

ranger-dashbaord.jpg
Puzzled me too - since I have my manual in the "reading" room I finally found the explanation page 154 in manual and is called Progressive Range Selection and allows you "to lockout gears from the automatic shifting range" put it in drive and push the - button on the shifter.....

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just want it to stay there, always, and I want it to be there (even if the lock out part is useless) when in S Mode.....Or the orange one that comes up in S Mode when manually selecting a gear on the left side to stay put always, in any mode, don't really care which.

I don't want to look in several places for gear indication - and I know it is an automatic - I still want to know, and I want to look in one place. This is a weird implementation, not user friendly, not well thought through. Honestly it seems overly complicated for Ford to implement too, and it changes I assume based on trim - Lariat to XLT, to others.

I'd be happy enough, if I could find a Torque PID for gear indication and toss it on my phone screen with boost and other data - can't seem locate a working gear indicator PID either. Anyone have one? I didn't go looking on the F150 site yet.

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It can only be modified through the ECU. IE a tune. I've already asked for this and we can only wait until BDX/SCT finally get around to it like when I requested it for my Fusion. It took months before they got to it through NGauge. My tunes are from Unleashed.

mstealth22

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It can only be modified through the ECU. IE a tune. I've already asked for this and we can only wait until BDX/SCT finally get around to it like when I requested it for my Fusion. It took months before they got to it through NGauge. My tunes are from Unleashed.
Thanks. When you say you've asked for this, are you asking from a tuner or a feature request from BDX/SCT? Do they have a formal Bug/Feature request process or just more of conversation exchange? I'd love to "upvote" this request.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The request goes through the tuner who writes the tunes. Then goes up the chain.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
The request goes through the tuner who writes the tunes. Then goes up the chain.
Any updates on this?

I have the 5star tune - have yet to ask them - curious if you were able to get your tuner to accommodate.

I am looking to get the gears to display (non-Lariat) on the bottom as they do in S mode, rather than on the left in the list when you press the +.

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Several times he sent me a tune that was supposed to work and none of them did so far.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I just want it to stay there, always, and I want it to be there (even if the lock out part is useless) when in S Mode.....Or the orange one that comes up in S Mode when manually selecting a gear on the left side to stay put always, in any mode, don't really care which.

I don't want to look in several places for gear indication - and I know it is an automatic - I still want to know, and I want to look in one place. This is a weird implementation, not user friendly, not well thought through. Honestly it seems overly complicated for Ford to implement too, and it changes I assume based on trim - Lariat to XLT, to others.
My theory is that for some drivers it may be a distraction. I missed it at first switching sides in S mode, and that also affects shifting if you try to do that manually.
Sponsored